Tents and Weights

I found this today while researching the Columbus Arts Festival:

The Columbus Arts Festival has introduced new regulations due to weather related incidents, EZ-Up and accordion style tents are not allowed for use during the Festival.  Any violation to these rules will result in the removal of the exhibitor.

Also

The Columbus Arts Festival is currently working on a required weight system. This section will be updated as information is finalized.

I know the weather wreaked havoc on shows last year, do you think more shows will do this? 

I am entering my third year of art shows and still have an EZ-UP.  I use PVC weights and concrete blocks and have been fine so far.  But haven't seen any really nasty weather...Just how much is enough weight?  

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For those who have opted for Trimline, do you recall what you ended up paying for shipping? I'm comparing these two options:

9' tall 10x10 Trimline $1150

StaBar Kit       $105

Easy Riser Kit   $25

Pole Bags        $79 (two? Flourish recommends two.)

Canopy bags   $78

Hardware Bag $49

$1486 +shipping

OR:

Showoff 10x10' with vents and bags included  $1170

Stabilizer bar kit        $155

Solo setup aid           $65

20” extension            $190

$1580 including shipping

• I have two of the $79 pole bags from Trimline.  I have a four piece sta-bar kit (I put one in front overnight if security looks iffy or the weather might get bad) plus an extra 5' sta-bar for when I put up the 15'.  That is pretty much all that will fit in it.  They don't hold much.  The cheaper one is larger but prone to ripping.  The hardware bag plus the two pole bags might hold everything you need but you're going to want to leave all those small pieces attached to your poles to make putting it up faster.  Some people have used ski bags but I have my pole bags from my Craft Hut and they are much larger.

• Banning any type of canopy is utterly ridiculous! The wind does not discriminate. I have been using a pop up (Caravan Classic) since I started doing shows and so far, (knock on wood) I have survived many storms and micro bursts where my canopy was the only one left standing. And all the very expensive dome type tents flew South or some other direction... The secret it the grids that I use and they are connected to the frame with heavy duty cable ties. These are not the the 75lb tensile strength ones you get at home depot but they are 12mm 320lb tensile strength. They are a little more money but they are worth it. And the grids are tied every 10" to 810 pounds of heavy duty grid wall panels. There are 8 - 48" X 84" panels with 1" frames around them and each panel weighs 84 pounds. Then there are 6 - 24" X 84" panels that weigh about 40lbs each. If I am on grass and it is allowed I use the typical dog helical anchor with straps for additional or if I am on solid surface I used an 80 pound weight on the inside cabled to tho top on each corner.

301657403?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Are artists able to stake into the ground, or do the weights need to be hanging?

• So a couple questions--I believe the tent rental is only $50 (for the duration of the festival) but please let me clarify that next week--Shana is out for the holiday and I'm still getting up to speed on a lot of the little things :) The tents are still 10 x 10 spaces (or you can pay for a double or a corner, still with the rentals I believe) and they are all in line so there is no covered space behind to hang out in, as you're describing Barry.  Due to fire lane restrictions and the site layout there isn't really a way we can do that anymore I don't believe.  There will be artist booths, food, beverages and entertainment on both the city side and the COSI of the river with our two new bridges as the crossings. 

• Booth are going to be on both sides of the river? Wasn't that tried once before, and it did not work out? Customers stayed mostly on the city side ?

• Does anyone know about the locations yet? Both sides of the river, or all on one side? Thanks.

• Hi Linnea,

We are still working on the final site plan but both sides of the river will be used--food, beverages, entertainment and activities will be on both sides with a pedestrian flow across our two new bridges.  Before the bridges were closed for reconstruction the Festival was on both sides of the river and was successful with that site plan and pedestrian flow.  The key is making sure there are artists and lots of interesting things to see, do, eat and drink on both sides of the river.  We hope to have the site plan finalized within the next 2-3 weeks.
          Jami

• That's a reasonable fee,$50 for the duration of the show. If I could rent a tent for shows for that low of a fee,I'd just rent,not purchase...

Winter Park's tent supplier is charging about $175.00 show special plus set up is another $75 for set up. For that much I could just  triple it and buy a tent...so I did...

• If you're considering renting a tent for any show. make sure to find out what kind of tent it is because most of the rental tents are heavy opaque material that doesn't let light come through the fabric. If the show provides electricity than it doesn't matter but you will need to bring your lights.

I don't think it's worth renting a tent if you're going to sit with your artwork in a cave all weekend.

Larry Berman
        http://BermanGraphics.com
        412-401-8100

This reply was deleted.