Hi--

Would some photographers post about their success with canvas and metallic (floating) prints? How do the sales compare to each other and to traditional prints? Are one type of the 3 good for one subject, another for another? For example, landscapes might look good on metal but flowers not. I don't know, so I'd love to hear the experiences of others.

Thanks,

--David

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• David some shows are not allowing Canvas prints. The metal print look great and make your sales numbers look good but the profit may be same as framing traditional. I will suggest you to try it out (one wall) see how it works for you and go from there. I personally like the traditional look.

• I get my frames from frame destination.com. Good prices and good service.
      • Thanks, Alison--

Turns out that Mark at Frame Destination and I have some mutual friends! He's in Dallas, I grew up and shot there for 30 yrs. I agree, he looks like the place to go. And he supports AFI

Thanks, again,

David

• Hi Oscar--
      Thanks. That about shows not allowing canvas prints is something to think about. I have seen it on one entry form.
      Please tell me, it sounds like some people are saying that their display prints, rather framed, metal, or canvas, are not what sell. The display prints lure people into the tents and show some examples of their work, but they primarily SELL matted prints. I know this varies, but I seem to be reading it from time to time. Your experience, please?
      Thanks again,
      --David
      • It depends if you sell standard sizes or not.  I sell mostly panoramas.  Standard size images go in a browse bin and I do not have any of them framed.  I sell prints of the panoramas by order only.  I don't have them in the booth.  Most people buy the framed panoramas because they realize that off sizes are expensive to frame.  I only added the matted prints last year and framed panoramas are still my best seller.

• Alison--
          Thanks for the info. I can see where your would be a special case with panos. You must make some money on the sales of the frames too. Good for you. But you have to have an affordable source for the frames. Any suggestions?
          Thanks, David
  • I did one wall of metal for a year.  It didn't work for me.  It looked awesome and pulled a lot of people into the booth but it didn't sell that well and I spent a lot of time explaining it only to have people walk away.  I think part of it is my panorama sizes look very skinny without a mat and frame and I think if you are going metal or canvas you have to go all the way.  I also found metal easy to damage.  It required more care than my frames with glass.

• Have all metal or all canvas not some of each. I had framed and metal both and i think people who go all metal have better luck with it.
      • Allison--

Thanks for your reply. That's just what Larry Berman urged. Just one type of display. Did you have matted in a bin?

--David

• Hi Alison--
      Thanks for the insight. I can see the constant effort to explain the metal prints to people. That makes sense and I hadn't thought of it. Do you mean anything in particular when you say 'if you are going to go metal or canvas you have to go all the way'?
      Thanks again,
      --David
This reply was deleted.