I used to clean up my studio every year on New Years Day. But what with breaking my foot and several other challenges, the last few years I didn’t do it. Being prone to clutter anyway, it was becoming impassible. I set up extra tables to work on specific projects, but then those too have become a problem. It has been accumulating layers of “sediment”: stalled projects, trays of related materials kept together for a series, and supplies I can’t put away, because there is stuff in the way. When I had to reorder  something I knew I had already bought, that was the last straw.

Would anyone like to do this with me? We could post “before,” “in progress,” and “after” pictures. Having to be accountable might help. Provide reinforcement!

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aha! too late, mine was done last week!! I may be able to dredge some pics up...will post after I find em!

• Yes! Post those pics! :) I will update when I get a chance: much progress was made! Of course, now I want to rearrange EVERYTHING. I'm getting too detail oriented again.

• I clean it up and stay out a couple of days so it looks nice...then I go in and work. End result the Mess returns!

• Will you settle for a bus ticket?  And bring a tent.  Have you ever done any winter camping?  And, you are welcome to any work I left in my studio.  I would suggest taking something from my inventory that I have with me.

• I used to be an avid camper. Do you live in an area of scenic natural beauty?  You would, of course, cover admission to the national or state park if that’s where I’m camping. I’m afraid I don’t have enough time to take the bus. But I’m getting ahead of myself….who knows, someone else might win. When someone else does, you can negotiate.

• As a prize for winning this challenge, I will let the winner clean my studio, preferably before I get home so I can start right in working.  I can make arrangements for you to get into my studio.

• Sure. As long as you provide the plane tickets and free room and board, I'll come. And, if while cleaning, I find anything I decide is a second, you surely won't mind if I bring it home to decorate my house?  

• Oh boy now I don't feel nearly as bad as I did last year when I started on my decluttering project.  I'm living in a 12 room house and 3 of those are dedicated to my studio.  About 18 months ago I was upstairs looking around as I navigated through a pathway and said to myself that someday I was going to sell this house and I sure as hell wasn't going to clean it up 3 weeks before it went on the market.  So since then I've been on the Project of 25.  Every week I have to get rid of 25 things.  So I stand there and I look at the stuff I'm sorting through and ask myself "do I really want to move this?"  So far the answer has been NO.  Usually it's been "why did I think that was worth saving?"  And usually I get rid of more than 25 things.  Trash or donation.  Last Winter I had a very large dumpster in my driveway while rebuilding the front porch.  Cleaned out the basement, some large stuff from upstairs, it was wonderful.  May just order a small dumpster before I repave the driveway in a few years.    It's very cathartic.

martha

• Hey Martha-this last August, my husband and I went back to Minnesota to clean out my mothers' basement. We got one of those big dumpsters. We were only there for a week and a half, but, we were able to dump that thing 4 times! It felt good, even though it was only filled with newspapers & glass jars. I'm so afraid that when we go back this summer, there will be more in it's place......

• Linnea you must have been in my head.....I've been promising myself time to clean, straighten, and actually organizing my work area. It's gotten so bad that I can't tell where my work area ends and the mess of our remodel begins. Your area really looks very neat compared to mine. I guess that we all think about our own mess-that it's the worst. And, that's because not only is it a physical mess, but, we (well, definitely I am guilty of this)--the mess has also moved into my head....I think/hope that once I get my studio back, I will be able to create again. Right now, I am 'crippled' by the physical mess-which affects my mental creativity. Yes, I want to join in this 'fight' to gain our work space!!!!
This reply was deleted.