Still waiting?

Hello Art Community,

I just love it when a show juries in a timely way. Getting "the news" within a 2-week window is so helpful when trying to plan my show season.

Conversely, it seems the majority of shows make you wait closer to a month or more. New deadlines come up and then I am stuck in the "oh, heck" zone of having to apply to a 2nd or 3rd show for the same weekend.  And what's another $35 out the window? 

At present, I have 5 applications that are a month past deadline and one close to 7 weeks. 

Maybe shows could keep the application open longer or move the jurying up a bit? Sure would be helpful!

Would like to hear your thoughts and perhaps why show directors wouldn't go for this?

David

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am doing my first shows this year, and all of the shows I've applied to have had their notification dates listed on their applications- and I received notifications from all of them on time. Maybe i just got lucky with the shows I picked!

• I will contact a show 1 week after posted notification date especially if they are notifying by mail rather than email. I have generated a lot of tax revenue for shows in resort towns in Colorado and if a show doesn't want me in, there are others who will. 

• Hi everyone.  I am the events manager for Juried Art Services (JAS)- the original online application and jurying system for the arts.  In the past year, we did have a few events delay notification.  Hurricane Irma caused several FL and east coast shows to extend their deadlines and delay jury results.  Not much anyone could do about that. Extending their deadlines was a courtesy for artists who had no power or time to apply to a show.

JAS also hosts gallery competitions and exhibitions and a recent event was 2 weeks late in notifications, but that was because they received additional funding from a donor and had to go back through the jury scores to accept 10 more artworks into their show.

Sometimes notification is delayed by a day or two because a juror or their family member is ill. That doesn't happen often.  In the few cases where notification was delayed, I've been in close contact with the event director so that I can respond to artists who email our support line.  We know this is your livelihood and you need to make decisions.  We also know if the event does not release results, artists will have made other commitments and there will not be a show.

JAS require's an event to have a notification date, which is shown on every application. That notification date is hard-coded into our system to release the jury results on that day.  So, i watch that date VERY carefully and warn show directors if we're getting close. 

I do review each event's timeline to make sure there is enough time from the close of applications to the notification date. If there isn't, we talk it over.  My background producing fine art and craft events, both retail and wholesale, for 30 some years is a big help there. OMG.  Yep, 37 years in showbiz!  New shows or established shows with new directors, like to run their dates past me to see what I think.  I don't mind giving my opinion. 

And my opinion is...show staff should set a notification date and keep it. A day or two late is ok, occasionally. Life happens.  But a month late is not good.  I would hope the event has been in contact with the applicants to explain why the big delay.

• Thanks for joining the conversation, Mary. This site's mission is to provide transparency for all interested parties in this business that is not anonymous. Clear and direct information is so helpful especially to newer people trying to navigate all the parameters of participating in art fairs. It is also good to know, in both yours and Christina's case, that your interest lies in keeping channels open and responsive to the artists and shows. 

Umm ... 37 years? I think we first met 35 years ago.

• Just wanted to revisit my original post. Most shows seem to be able to follow posted dates. I would just like to see the time between the close of an application and notification shortened. It often forces artists to apply to other shows on the same weekend and lose more to app. fees. 

Wondering what the process is to go from application closing date to jury date? Show directors?

• You asked for a response from a show director.  As a show director of a small, highly respected show, I've been reading this thread with great interest.  One aspect of the jury process which I haven't noticed is the influence that the word "juried" has on art patrons.  In other words, 'juried' indicates a professional, quality art fair - and, for the most part, brings an audience interested and capable of spending money - not 'tire kickers' - and that directly benefits the participating artists.   Regarding the jury process as an 'easy way' for the promoter to make money (except, maybe, the electronic methods of jurying which I haven't participated in!), preparing for the jury is certainly NOT an easy process - nor fast.  My show, Art Spectacular at the Carillon in Springfield, IL, is juried the old-fashioned way, and it takes many hours and a lot of work to prepare the jury presentation and hand-outs, in order to present my applicant artists in their best, possible light.  Although everyone involved with Art Spectacular, including me, is an unpaid volunteer and the jury fee directly benefits the carillon, the jury fee at least recognizes my work in preparing the process and juror costs.   Regarding the notification process, MY process is the application deadline is 3/31; the jury takes place within 1-2 weeks (depending on site and jurors' availability), and notification takes place within 24 hours - or less!  Reading the thread I'm shocked how long some shows take for notification and, I think, shows a lack of respect for artists.  I HAVE learned one thing from this thread which I'm going to incorporate in my jury in April, and that's the idea of including an art patron with the 'professional' jurors!  What a great idea!  I've also been seriously thinking about the 'professional juror' concerns many of you expressed, in light of my own juror selection situation.  Just so you know, this show promoter is listening to your concerns to make my show even better.  Thanks!  www.carillon-rees.org 

• I have a newbie question.  I'm applying mostly to shows in my location with the exception of a few out of state bigger shows.  Are juries for DIFFERENT shows ever the same people?  For instance, if I submit to a show locally, what are the chances one or more jury members are also jurying another show that I might apply to locally?  Just curious if jury members are excluded from participating in any other juries that year once they have committed to a show?  Sorry if it's a dumb question.  Thanks!

• My "educated guess" is that having the same jurors is not impossible, but highly improbable.  My best suggestion for the shows that you apply to is to check the show's website to see if they list the jurors.  Also you might find the information on the show's prospectus.  In other words, when applying look for that information on Zapp, JAS or Entrythingy.  If you are REALLY curious, you can always write to the show director and ask who will be on the jury.

Hope this helps.

• Who the jurors are is very hard to find. Most shows don't release it, and for those who don't I doubt you could induce them to share the information. 

• Thank you for the info Barb. Your timely process shows that it is possible to go from closing to notification in a shorter window. So helpful for an artist too.  

This reply was deleted.