St. Stephens Vs. Artigras?

From everything I'm reading on the forums and blogs both shows (St. Stephens and Artigras) are going downhill - there doesn't seem to be much positive news on either show. I'm juried into both and need to make a choice. I'll be staying with friends in Delray Beach, so the commute would be about the same to either one. Sunshine Artist ranks Artigras slightly higher, but I know that's meaningless. Any thoughts?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wise choice picking Art Grass. I've always been lucky enough to do Coconut Grove, although I still think I'm living in the '90's when the show was greater than great. I'm pointing that out because my viewpoint comes from reading the reviews over the years and seeing parts of St Stephens. One thing about St Stephens. You want to figure out where you want to park before you start the show. The paid lots close to the show are not ultra expensive and because you will get to the show early enough, the lots will be open.

• Hi David, well I have accepted the invite to the St. Stephens show. You mentioned "staying with friends" down in the area, I wonder if any of them have any feedback on the show that might be useful to help make a decision? Thanks Jackie

• Hi Jacquelyn - although one of the friends I'm staying with is a painter, she has no knowledge of outdoor shows, so she's not much help in that area. At any rate, I've decided on Artigras - I guess we can compare notes on how each show went in a few months. Thanks, David

• When we lived in Miami (2001-2003) we used to do it and it was very good. Of course, times have changed.  We do jewelry and Coconut Grove was even more competitive then for that media! Hope it works for you!

• Well, I am hoping that there are some good reports about St. Stephens and not just the negative ones that I've just read here. I was just accepted and plan to do it. A jeweler who was next me at another show recommended it and she had high end pieces. So far the show committee has been really helpful, sent hotel recommendations with free parking and breakfast. Five miles away but then knowing the area is busy that weekend with the 2 (3 shows - didn't know about Artigras) and there are 2 hugh boat shows the same week & weekend, one power & one sail, which we have been to, I figured it was a good bet. I'd like to know if any other members have anything good to say about it. I've been to Coconut Grove years ago as a visitor but could not afford the show fee on top of all of the other expenses so I thought I'd give St. Stephens a try. I will have to let you all know, mean while I hope I hear some good news from some of you.... thanks and have a wonderful safe holiday everyone!

• Jacquelyn, I've never heard anything positive about the St. Stephen's Show, yet it continues to carry on and there are people who go back year after year, so someone must be making money, besides the church. I'm hoping you will be one of them.

For a couple of years our booth was on a corner on McFarlane at the entry to SS and there was a steady flow of people going in and out. You won't be alone for sure.

• Hi Connie, thanks for the reply, I hope this isn't a very costly mistake but when I looked it up on AFI I did not see a review so I proceeded to accept the invite and book it.  I did notice in reading the negative reviews that they were all from photographers? After reading these I searched the site and I did see an AFI member that made clay dragons & incense burners that raved about the show in 2010. In my years as a potter I have done all kinds of shows, a few that had everything and anything but mostly shows that were fine art & fine craft, they were all large shows, well attended and sales were always good. I've only just started back into the A & C show scene in May 2012 and down here in FL so it's all new to  me and I appreciate all the feedback I can get to make a smart decision. I'm hoping that there might be a couple of members that will respond positively about the show. I'll be watching the site, meanwhile if you have any contacts that might have additional info, please let me know. Thanks again and have a great season! Jackie

• hi jacquelyn, I was curious on how st. stephens went for you, I do jewelry and was waitlisted, never got called. like you, I never found anything very encouraging about st. stephens. I hope though it went well for you!!!

• Hi Sabine, I did very well at the show. I found the quality of the artwork was very good, the volunteers and the committee were very friendly and helpful, the location was right across the street from Coconut Grove. Quite a few people walked both shows.  The artist from Illinois who was directly across from me sold 2 $1800 yard sculptures plus other pieces and the painter next to him sold well and received a $15,000 commission to paint a wall in a private home. I don't know how anyone else did. The show layout was very nice and there were private bathrooms for the artists. The committee furnished breakfast treats as well as a spaghetti dinner Saturday evening (a la wine) while handing out cash awards. I was lucky and won a 3rd place and $$. The weather was ridiculously cold almost all of the 3 days with 2 days of hardly any sunshine. The one glitch in the whole thing and this applies to Coconut Grove also is the parking... there isn't any... I have no idea where the visitors parked. We were lucky enough to stay with a friend 30 minutes away which quite a few artists did, however the show did advertise some hotels that had rooms for $119/night and you could leave your trailer there while at the show. My husband Bill, brought his bike so he would drop me off, park the truck and return via bike. I also met a really nice pottery couple from the Tampa area who invited us to stay with them if we did a show over there - very nice ! I wish I would have had the time to visit the Coconut Grove show so I can't tell you how anyone did there however my friends walked it and said it was packed. I hope this helps you out, let me know if you decide to do it next year.

• The Coconut Grove artists park in a large lot off of Panorama Drive, near the convention center. St. Stephens artists used to be able to park at a school 1/8 mile down the road from the show entrance. The school charged about $100 to park there per vehicle per show. Don't know if they still do this, but it was in the artist packet the year we did the show.

This reply was deleted.