Replies

• I do a few of them on the East Coast.  Sometimes it's hard to find out where they are.  The ones I attend have are Decoy and Waterfowl related shows, and all the decoy carvers know about them!   These shows have very little buy/sell, except for vendors selling supplies to the carvers.   I do OK, but not great at the shows.  Usually there are a couple other photographers, and a lot of painters.  At the last show I know two of the painters did quite well. 

The majority of the work you displayed would have to be wildlife oriented.  Depending on the show, some are specific to the type of wildlife, with just Waterfowl Art permitted.  I'm sure other areas would be more open. 

• David - Janet said 'Sportsman Expo' which isn't what you are talking about. Sportsman Expos are full of people selling gear, renting lodges, guide services, etc. There are very few artists at these types of events. see http://www.easternsportshow.com/ for what I think Janet is talking about.

• You're right.  I didn't catch the difference.  I would think that Sportsman Expos are looking for customers to buy equipment, not so much Art.   I'm used to Wildlife Festivals, which are primarily art related. 

• I did Rocky Mountian Elk Foundation convention at Reno Hilton in early 2000's. Made money but only because we stayed with relatives. People get whacked for money every time they turn around not leaving much for art. Fees for classes, lectures, even a fee to bid in silent auction-get the picture. We'll organized by experienced convention staff. They hire guys off the street to help you load out on small loading dock. Dock Master kept things moving. RMEF is sort of clicky. Last day of show you have an appointment to discuss your booth location and fee for next event. You get dropped down on list if you don't do all of their events. Lots of money with elk hunters, but I do better out of my studio.
    • Thanks for the input, Richard.

• I did a Fly Fishing expo one time - I did fairly well, but the booth fee was way higher than other art shows since the other 'exhibitors' were vendors selling fishing stuff or fishing trips, etc....The up side was half my sales were to other exhibitors since they were all interested in fish art but were not fellow artists.

• I hear you. I think I'll keep it to the ones in my own state for now.  Thanks, Mike.

This reply was deleted.