So has anyone tried Apple pay?

A feature on the new iphone 6's and the new ipads is an app called Apple Pay. You load your card numbers into your phone and they are immediately encoded into a chip in the phone. When you want to pay for something, you hold your phone near the card swiper and the encoded information is passed directly to the bank.

You never see a card or card number as a merchant, so no way for your data to be stolen. With 100 million iphones sold in the US in less than 60 days, it's likely just a matter of time till we see these. I am told that most card readers can be upgraded.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was just talking to a techie friend and she said this system is Apple's response to Google Wallet which basically does the same thing.

• It's important to understand how the systems are different:

1. Secure Element and Secure Enclave
      Apple Pay is a digital identity solution in payments minimising risk and in turn fraud. They did not disrupt the payments ecosystem rather they approached the existing landscape with the intention to make it more secure. 

TouchID + Apple Watch biometrics + Secure Enclave have created a new standard of validation in payments. This was not only important for adoption and scale, but resulted in a more secure way to pay than entering, tapping or swiping your card.

main-qimg-2034870289c91c30f913af078b15d016?convert_to_webp=true

Best described by Brian RoemmeleWhat is Apple Pay and why is it important?

2. Storytelling.
      Apple are genius at storytelling. Google Wallet was pitched, as the title suggests, a wallet... but we already have wallets. Best illustrated by Andrew HamadaWhy do people think Apple Pay is so innovative—an equivalent featur...

3. Patented extensions.
      Patents for the extensions of Apple Pay into ticketing for events, transport.
      Get Ready For Apple Pay Based NFC Access And Ticketing For Trains, ...

• That sounds confusing enough to keep anyone away except the tencho geeks.

• Who don't attend art fairs.

• I imagine in the more urban and suburban areas of the country where everybody must have the latest and best tech stuff you'll find people using this method of payment.

But in the country it'll take longer. Much longer.

The age of the people who attend the shows I do are mid 30s and up. I just did a show in Burlington, VT and when I processed cards with my new Square, I asked if the customer would like an email or text receipt. A few said nobody gets their email address, and a number said they don't own a cell phone and could they have a paper receipt.

I know you're exited about this, but this one feature isn't enough to make the over age 25 world suddenly go out and get the newest Apple product. 

• I have had the same Samsung phone for years and the primary reason I got it was to have a phone that I could use the square with. I Now use an ipad to take credit cards and no longer use the phone for this purpose...I just spoke to the  cell phone a few days ago and  I am getting ready to change the service on the phone to just a talk only plan...I have never used it to send emails, texts, view websites, google or anything else it might be capable of doing that I am not even aware about. I never even had a pager years ago when everyone else thought it was the new and cool thing to have.

• I am not sure why this discussion has taken this direction. Here are the major points about Apple Pay:

• It costs nothing for a you as a merchant to upgrade your customer facing terminal to accept AP
      • It removes the possibility of a security breach of a merchant's terminal exposing customer data
      • We carry a rider on our business insurance to cover us in case of a hack, which can perhaps soon be dropped or reduced
      • It eliminates PCI concerns and the accompanying hassles and costs
      • It appeals to a younger patron segment, whom we all know are our future collectors
      • It has enjoyed unprecedented adoption, with now more than 600 banks implementing it in just the first 10 days.
      • I am reminded of this quote: Erik Brynjolfsson, author of The Second Machine Age, who was recently quoted in the McKinsey Quarterly saying “…the greatest failing of the human mind is the inability to understand the exponential function.” 

(We will have a sign up in our booth : We accept Apple Pay)

• Technology is moving forward at lightning speed, and we can thank the free market for this. When I was younger, AT&T owned just about every phone in the country. We didn't own our family phone, AT&T let us use it. Today there are 330 million cell phones in the USA. Many used by children under 5.

But with technology advancing so fast, will Apple Pay be obsolete in 5 years, replaced by something better from Samsung?

All I can say is when Apple Pay works with the Square and my $50 ATT Go Phone, let me know.

• If Apple Pay is obsolete in 5 years, what's your downside? It cost you nothing, cut your exposure to fraud, and made your work more appealing to a demographic we will all have to depend on to survive. You may count on Apple Pay working on Square, they have everyone in the company working on it now 24/7

• Will this work with any brand phone or only with the new apple iPhone 6 and ipad 6?

As far as costing nothing..It will cost if people have to go out and buy a new iPhone or ipad 6 to have this feature unless it can be made to work with the many other existing phones.

This reply was deleted.