Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

I want to seal the edges of cut Gatorfoam board with something to make it smooth. Has anyone done this? It has already been sanded, so is as smooth as mechanical means can make it. It is THICK board so those edges matter.

I will be applying Japanese block printed rice paper over it. If anything sticks out through it, the paper will not apply smoothly and may tear / abrade with use.

Archival is preferred. The board is archival too. Anything else will probably deteriorate the paper quickly.

I used a coat of gesso yesterday. The foam is still pretty rough, though. Not sure how many coats would make it smooth: the edges I coated yesterday took me 4 hours. (!) 

I could use acrylic medium.

Not sure which will fill up the “pores” faster.

Thanks!

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The roughness is a results of the saw used. This is the problem with modern materials of hard veneer, soft core.

A scroll saw moves up & down which pulls at the soft core. A Table saw, which cuts with a revolving slicing action would work better for later ones if you are doing again but the right blade needs to be used.

Are the exposed edges you are sanding on the face or side?

Have you been able to test the modeling paste yet?

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the our latest Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

Video Website Reviews

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service