Replies

• I use my iPhone & the Paypal card reader. I just swipe their card & do it all right there on the spot. There are no monthly fees & a 2.5% transaction fee which is cheaper than square. I have made thousands by having this. I couldn't imagine working without it.....I mean honestly how often do you yourself pay cash for purchases? I know I really don't, I only carry my debit card. It also majorly increased my sales. You can pick up the Paypal reader for cheap, I paid $15 at Staples & Paypal had a $15 rebate so it would end up being free. I'm not sure how much it is now, I purchased mine a little while back.
    Good Luck,
    Mel
  • Square!!!!!
  • sell work first and see how it goes. If you see that your losing sales due to credit cards, then you can sign up for one by using paypal, your bank..you have to do the legwork. I always scout out where the atm machine is so I can point it out to my buyers when they want to use a cc for small items. I won't accept cc's it the total is less then $60. I use my phone to call in the sales, I don't use any other equipment since I work alone and the less stuff I schlep, the better.

• I have the square reader and the Intuit reader...it is always good to have both so if a problem arises with one the other can be a backup.

One feature I like about the Intuit is the ability to reach a human by phone for customer service.

Try calling square to speak with a human...good luck with that...

• We have the square and love it.  Ok - they do get old and die so it's good to have a spare.  Monday in within a day.  Clear ... no extra charges, takes all credit cards including AmEx -- 2.7 to swipe.  People are still excited and think we're so 'techi.'  We have stylus -- women like better than finger - bought a dozen for about $15.  We would never go back to the old way when we had no clue what the charges would end up because so many things were added on.

• What happens with Intuit (with a swiper and a blackberry set-up) if you have no cell phone signal? Can you still swipe the transaction and the unit stores the information and batches out when you eventually get a signal? Or are you out of luck and you have to manually swipe the sale and are stuck with having to then pay the higher % on a keyed sale?

Also, what happens if you get a phone call during the sale? How good is the bluetooth connection?

Thank you
    • From what I can tell none of these smart phone readers do a store and forward function.

• I love my Square reader.  I think that folks should look more at the website.  Like someone said earlier, that review is old.  They have no limits in place now.  They also ARE encrypted.  I was going to switch to PayPal Go, just because of a long standing account with PayPal.  However, PayPal decided to only have the Go feature available on selected Androids.  Square is available for all Androids.  And there is no monthly fee.  That's the best thing.

• Not sure if this will work for you or not. I use Propay http://propay.com and you have several input options. Low tech, online, knucklebuster - messy and time consuming. They also offer a microsecure card reader - data is encrypted upon swiping and stores up to 70ish transactions that can only be downloaded with your personal key.

The option you might be interested in works with their Protect Pay program http://pocketpay.me The nice thing about it is that your phone doesn't HAVE to be a smartphone, a super basic web capable phone will work too.

Depending on the dollar amounts of your average transactions/ monthly volume this may not be the best option for you though - but it's working well for me just getting started. There are option for higher limits and please note that the fees you'll see on the Propay website are ANNUAL not monthly as most folks think at first. They end up being pretty equivalent to the fees you'd pay to Paypal if you are familiar with them.

Best of luck!
This reply was deleted.