I use MS Office Suite 2010.

I’d like to take my laptop to art shows and have people sign-up for my newsletter by typing their own contact information into Outlook using the list view.

I created a folder specifically for this purpose so that I can pull from this folder when emailing out my newsletter.

In list view, I’d like to make only the following columns:

First Name

Last Name

Email

Home Address

Home Phone

Mobile Phone

Alternately, and perhaps an even better idea would be to have a form, which would flip to a blank form at the completion of each person.

Is there a web site that can “talk” me through this?

Can anyone “talk” me through this?

Can anyone suggestion a better way?  (I’d like to avoid the paper & pencil route)

Thanks!

PS - I'm on Facebook...if you like my site, please "like"

www.facebook.com/pages/OutoftheWoods-USA/117359605051136

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do you have a smart phone?

I enthusiastically second the use of MailChimp.com.  I've been using it for about two years.  It's absolutely free up to 2000 subscribers, fully functional, and they have an app for iPhone and Android.  The app makes it really easy to sign people up when I'm out and about and they can easily double check that everything's been spelled right.

The less info you ask for, the more willing folks will be to fork it over, too.

• I think I will look into MailChip - thanks for responding to my post.

• Wow, I have to look at the Android app... I hadn't looked for new features in a while!

• Hi Bob,

I'm concerned about how you plan to send these emails out.  Sending them in bulk (a lot of individual emails at a time) will often cause your ISP to flag you as a spammer and get your port shut off.  Sending a single email to all of these people will either expose all those addresses to everyone or you need to use the bcc line for everyone - which will flag you as spam to the recipients.

For the past several years I have used an email service called MailChimp that is free until you have a large number of recipients.  I have a subscription page on my website (www.heartfirestudios.com/subscribe.html) that will send a "confirmation" email before it adds someone to my list that THEY maintain.  That page is generated from their code.  They send the emails and it gets past most spam filters and doesn't cause my ISP any grief.  You also get great stats on how many people read the emails etc.  It also notes things that bounce and takes them off your list.
    I have subscription information on my cards and I keep a clipboard at shows.

If I was going to automate this I would skip Outlook and just make and Access form.  You can import lists to Mailchimp if they are in csv format and that should be easy from Access.  Outlook is written for corporate use and then dumbed down for personal use ... it won't adapt well.
    I was thinking about doing something like this with my tablet and either Sugarsync or Evernote, but as someone else mentioned I'm not sure I need everyone on the planet playing with my toys.  It's enough that I use the square on my phone!

Note - I like Mailchimp but there are other very similar options.  I just haven't researched them in a few years.

• I think I will look into MailChip - thanks for responding to my post.

• OK...I've gotten a little further and here is my new post...

MS Office Suite 2010

I’d like to take my laptop to art shows and have people sign-up for my newsletter by typing their own contact information into Outlook using the list view.

I created a folder specifically for this purpose so that I can merge from this folder when emailing out my newsletter.

I went to Manage Views and selected the following columns:

• First Name
    • Last Name
    • Email
    • Home Address
    • Home Phone
    • Mobile Phone

I set all the advanced settings.

Here’s my problem… when I try to enter test data in the Email and Home Address columns, something is stopping me - I get a chime sound.  All the other columns allow data to be entered without issue. 

• Why am I not able to enter data into the Email and Home Address field?

My newsletter is created using MS Publisher and I want to be able to merge it with the Outlook contacts. 

• Can you suggest a better way to use my laptop to collect contact information for a mailing list? 
    • How about just using a clipboard for a sign up printed form. Keep one in the back for people who purchase and one out front for other people who might be interested.

If you want to create a sign up forum you probably need to use a data base program like Access or File Maker Pro.

I would never put a laptop out for people to handle it. Too much can get screwed up. Here's a form I created. Feel free to modify it for your own use.
      http://artshowphoto.com/pages/emailform.htm

Larry Berman
      http://BermanGraphics.com
      412-401-8100

• I suspected someone would suggest paper and pencil!  LOL!!!!

I already have a form; however, that requires time to type the information into my database and often handwriting is illegible.  There is much work to do after an art show and the Monday morning corporate work comes around way too fast.  I’m trying to streamline my business processes by automating.  I’d rather spend my free time creating and not typing.  Of course, I realize there is a certain amount of paper work that has to be done; however, when possible, I’m trying to use technology to help me with the non-creative part of business.  

I have, and know how to use Access; however, I thought using Outlook might be easier.  I may rethink that if I can’t get Outlook to work the way I need it to. 

The laptop I plan on using would be used for this purpose only; it’s old and outdated for much else. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post!

• You don't have to spend the time entering the information from forms if you hire someone to do it.

The last time I looked into doing something like this, I found that a major percentage of people don't know their e-mail address or will spell it incorrectly. That was about ten years ago and I wonder if it has changed.

Using a laptop, is your data secure? Can someone delete your information or copy your mailing list?

A similar question was asked a few months ago on taking information with an iPad at shows. If you have an iPad, do a search for mailing list in the iTunes store.

Larry Berman
          http://BermanGraphics.com
          412-401-8100

• Thanks again.  Now back to one of my original questions...

When I try to enter data in the Email and Home Address columns, something is stopping me - I get a chime sound.  All the other columns allow data to be entered without issue. 

Why am I not able to enter data into the Email and Home Address field?

This reply was deleted.