Show Survival Kit

Hi All!

As I am preparing for my show season starting in a few weeks, I am nervously jotting down everything I think I will need while at shows.  This lead me to the question:  What do some of you who do a lot of shows consider essential items to have in a "show survival kit?"  I will list some of my essentials and it would be great if some of you could add yours too.  Thanks!!

Batteries for battery powered shelf lights

Extension cords and power strips

Furniture polish, glass cleaner and paper towels

Hand towels

Energy bars

Cooler

Velcro

Bungee cords

Step stool/small ladder

Petty cash for change

Reciept book

Clipboard, pens and e-mail sign up sheet

Fanny pack, Rick Steves money belt

Duct Tape

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I always thought it interesting how the artists with their small fry tents were told not to anchor into the asphalt parking lots or streets but the big boy commercial tents would drill a two inch hole completely through the paving and sledge hammer in 3' long steel spikes :-/ Most artists chose to zip the sides up and bring out the drills and screws to anchor the tents :-)
  • This has been interesting for different mediums. Jim Parker: what do you use concrete nails for? Survival kit or packing list, I have my lists in Excel for show and for travel/condo. It helps to get everything loaded for the first show of the season. I also have a "map" of how to pack the truck. Even with all of that, one year I was ready to leave and didn't have the tent loaded but checked off the list. Never leave the duct tape at home LOL.
    • Concrete nails for anchoring Trimline to pavement. Superceded by TapCons, but you need a drill bit and hammer drill for TapCons. Concrete nails and anchoring to pavement in any way are frowned upon in certain venues, also. But sometimes it's necessary to keep the canopy legs from "walking".

• That's a real No No out here on pavement. No stakes in parks as well because of the sprinkler systems. Commercial tents use 55 gal plastic drums filled with water.
  • Here's my full checklist, FWIW:

Artwork
    Show Inventory
    Extra Inventory
    Storage containers

Tent
    Canopy Top
    Canopy Sidewalls
    Canopy Weights (4)
    Awnings
    Awning Poles
    Sta-bars
    Spare parts for tents (poles, ells, three-ways, clevis pins, bolts, etc.)
    Extra Tarps (6x4, 6x10)

Display
    Display Panels
    Display braces
    Display Joiners
    Display Skirts
    Drapery hooks or other hangers for 2-D art

Guest Book
    Business card/postcard holder

Carpet or other flooring, if used

Show Chairs
    Sun Umbrella (if necessary)

Battery Operated Fan
    Fan battery charger

Product Packaging
    Large Bags
    Small Bags
    Packing Tape
    Saran Wrap on a stick
    Picture corners

Clip Board
    Show location, load-in Info
    Sales Tax License for each state you'll be in
    Maps of show and hotel area
    List of hotels and restaurants in area

GPS and car charger

Credit Card Machine
    Extra tape or credit slips
    Battery charger for CC machine
    Bag of spare change

Rain Gear
    Waterproof Rain coat
    Waterproof Rain Pants
    Spare shoes or sandals
    Spare socks
    Umbrella

Office Kit
    Calculator
    Headlamps
    Spare batteries for headlamps
    Windex
    Baby Wipes
    Glass Cleaner
    Paper Towels
    Clothespins
    Paint kit and brushes for on the spot touch-ups
    Pencils and pens
    Stapler
    Paper Clips
    Scissors
    Invoice or Order Pads, or 2 pc carbonless forms
    Business Cards
    Postcards
    Bounce-back labels
    Pricing labels

Tool Box
    Hammer (full-size)
    Pliers
    Wire Cutter
    Product-specific Tools
    Crescent Wrench, 2 sizes
    6-Way Screwdriver
    Duct Tape
    Concrete Nails 2-3"
    TapCons 2.5-3"
    Drill and bits, including 1/4" for TapCons
    Drill battery and charger
    A-Clamps (medium and large size) at least 4 of each size
    12' Ratchet tie downs ( at least 4, more if you cross-brace your tent)
    50' Rope
    Roll of 3' x 50' Plastic

Lighting Kit
    Tracks
    Track Lights
    Extension cords, 12'
    Long Extension cord, 100'
    Clip Lights
    Standup Battery powered Lantern (D-Cells)
    Spare Batteries

12V Auto Battery
    12V Battery Charger
    Inverter

• Anything and everything that will fit in your "office" box.  One thing that I don't think was mentioned is an extra pair of shoes and socks.  If you are one your feet all day, sometimes it just feels great to change your shoes.  They also may get wet from dew, rain, or whatever, and dry one's feel great.  I also carry a change of clothes, especially if rain is predicted, or it's extremely hot.  Usually the clothing items stay in the truck, but sometimes just changing at tear down time helps you get through the next hour or two. 

I'm giving a talk on "how to show" next week, and I also thank everyone for their suggested items.  At the top of my handout is a link to Art Fair Insiders, too. 

A lesson learned from my previous life racing sports cars - After I loaded the car and all the essentials I'd look around the garage to see what else I could fit in the truck.  Those were usually the parts I didn't need at the race track, but I have loaned those parts out to many other racers. 

• Thank you to everyone who has responded to my post. I am jotting down all these things in a notebook and looks like some shopping is in order!!!,
  • Btw...just as a hint... I put my survival kit, tools and sales supplies in one of those Rubbermaid wide 3 drawer rolling carts. I never have to unpack it, just roll it back into the studio after a show, and inventory what needs to be replaced. That way, I don't have to worry about checking that before a show... all I have to do is grab it and go!! Slides under my table/desk/checkout, and is hidden by the cover! Cheap, easy and organized.

• Menard's has a rolling tool chest for about $35 that has a storage compartment on top big enough for large electric drills, three sliding drawers, and a flip out bottom drawer big enough for power saws and other tools. There's a handle on top for grabbing and rolling. Two of these tool carts facing each other with a board between the two makes a good work table.
  • a first aid kit...it never fails that you WILL pinch, nick, bruise something at a show during set up and tear down. I carry waterproof band aids white medical tape and gauze, anti itch creme, and anti bacterial spray or ointment. No one wants to making change with blood dripping!!

This reply was deleted.