Replies

• OMG Jorge! I'm sorry I'm just responding(Im the worst writer). This is my First year experimenting with the whole outdoor art  tour, and that week you wrote me was my first outdoor show, so I have been like crazy running around and driving every weekend since then. Im really excited that you are in Philly and are Argentinean! I left behind some of my closest friends(from Rosario and Buenos Aires)in DC. We'll definitely see in Rittenhouse and looking forward to going out for Happy Hour!!! :) Lu
    • No problem Luisa, supongo hablas espanol, soy de Rosario y vivi toda mi vida en Buenos Aires. Tengo amigos en DC y voy frecuentemente. Estoy preparando las cosas para  ir A reston Art Festival el 21. Te ver en Rittenhouse.  Mucha suerte. Jorge
  • Does anyone know the final word on whether or not FaceBook can use your work once you post it?
    • Well, for a second time in my  simple career , I have a new copy cat. I meet that guy at Wesport Fine Art, CT, 2 years a go. He  purchased one of my work  and he has  nice words to my  paintings. I was cheking the site of The artist project , where I decline to participate at the last moment for the reazon to have a  hge 2 commissions to finish and  I didn't have  anough time to prepare the Art FAir. With surprise I founded that  Mr. Armando Pedroso will be part of the event, so I went to his web site to send an congratulations e-mail. With surprise I discover  in his Galleries in his site, many of my paintings,, mind not my paintings, but  yes  exactly reproductions of  thouse. I knew  he  have an account in facebook, so I went trough to it , and again I discover pictures of  recreations of my work and off course many comments about this  great "Artist". I emailed him inmediatly and  in the first moment, he was surprised and denay everything. But after showhing him the material I have, he was very concerned, sad, and embarrasy of his self. He apology to me ( I have his e-maIL)and try in many ways to  explain why he did it. he promess me to take of  the pictures and material from the bussiness. For that I closed the topic and I accepted his apology. But I discover a couple weeks a go in NYC, that he still showing the paintings. Off course he take of some of the paintings from his Face book and from his web site, but if you check out it and you  know some of what  I am doing for several years , you will can see what is happening. More when this guy coming from doing  fanny little houses and fruits and now he is turning  on an  Abstract painer. Now I know why he  wanted to buy one of my work, just to copy it.

His is from Chicago and  he is doing Art festivlas around the country. Check his web site www.armandopedroso.com  . In the first time I decided to leave the topic between him and I, but after I discover he still doing  that, I decided  to do this public, to preserv Art festivals and another artists from that kind of copycats. What a shame.

paintings.jpg

COPY.jpg

• Im sorry Jorge! that really sucks. I was checking him and he uses some of the techniques I have always  used(glass-like finish), the worst part  is that we are going to see him in Rittenhouse and (for me) Virginia Beach. It's really a shame because he is talented.

:) Lu

• Luisa, Btw is nice to meet you. One thing is to use mediums or  material, also techniques. But  doing copy, recreate and still ideas are another things. I was acepted in Virginia Beach, but I will not participate  to have to prepare a show gallery. I am ready informed to the  Rittenhouse Square  Fine Art organizators what is happened. Also in the past, I adviced him to  apply in Rittenhouse. The last time I saw him , he culd not to  see me in my eyes. Shame of him. Will be nice to see you in Rittenhouse.

• Btw, are you from Philadelphia area? I was cheking your web site, interesting work. How you know  I am working  mostly with fresco. Will be nice to talk with you.
  • Chris: this is that I was looking for and I culd not found, thanks again for the information.
  • www.copyright.gov

This is the official Copyright Office website. You would be amazed how easy it is to register your original works. Especially art.

Registering your work with the Library of Congress isn't all that complicated.

Larry, you talked about an idea vs a method. No, you can't copyright an idea. Otherwise, Chrysler would be the only one selling minivans. But let's say you come up with a tool to help you do your work. You come up with a tool that holds 5 colors at once and allows you to do something never seen before. Well, you can PATENT that tool. And keep it out of the hands of the copiers.

But what happens if you see somebody halfway across the country with your copyrighted/patented stuff? It's up to you to defend your copyright/patent. You must hire an attorney and if necessary, take the offender to court. And only you can decide if it's worth it.
  • I could not agree more! Stay sharp and ahead of the copycats. Customers catch on pretty quickly too.

Larry Berman said:
    You can't protect an idea or a concept or a method of doing something. You can only protect the actual thing from being copied. Obviously the artist who copied your painting wasn't creative on his own. What if he had used your technique to create a different subject matter?

Only a property rights attorney can answer your questions. But sometimes it's easier to be smarter and more creative than the copiers. And promote yourself well on your web site and in any published articles or material about you so everyone knows you are the originator.

Larry Berman
    Digital Jury Services
    http://BermanGraphics.com
    412-401-8100
This reply was deleted.