Just quick- I got my results from a show Friday and the email said that the jurying was done remote?

Would like to know what anyone knows/thinks of this?

Don't know how the process would go or how this could be of any help to artists?

Thanks.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• But wait a minute, they are just renting out real estate. Why do they need to study our work?

It only takes a moment to determine if it has colors that might go with drapes. 

A pretty booth is so easy to see at a glance. What difference does it make about individual pieces. 

Ok, facetiousness is done... for now.

I understand  there are some who don't have concerns about images of their art work being in the wild. However there are those of us who know it is supposed to be confidential to Zapp and the show. With jury by remote are the jurors keeping our images confidential? Are their systems secure? Are they sharing our images? 

• Remote monitor juries do not have access to our full size zapp images. Those are given to the shows for publicity when the jury is completed and zapp is given the names of the accepted artists.

Larry Berman
      http://BermanGraphics.com
      412-401-8100

• Color corrected monitors is one of many issues. The highest quality corrected monitor is no better than a ten year old piece of garbage monitor if there are lights in the room reflected off the screen. Or assuming most people now have laptops, the tilting of the screen can be a factor. Images on a laptop need to be looked at straight on even if they can look brighter or darker by tilting the screen up or down. And if they are trying to jury on an ipad, any image will look different than on a computer screen. And then household distractions can be another issue.

Projection jurying can have it's own set of issues. ZAPP never published a standard on how to set up a jury room. Size and type of screens, distance of the jurors from the screens, room brightness levels are all issues and different from jury to jury. I don't even know if the current zapp projectors can be set for the sRGB color space. The old ones could. I have the same Dell projector that ZAPP used initially so I could test images the same way the jurors would see them. Then they purchased less expensive projectors in quantity because more than the initial shows wanted to do projection jurying.

Best you can do is prepare your images the best you can before submitting them. Add the black borders to non square images so they don't get messed with when applying to the top shows that use projectors and make sure they are in the sRGB color space. That's the only way those shows will see the images you've uploaded. If you don't square them with black borders, zapp will when you apply to those top shows and, depending on how much detail in your images, you stand a chance of those images slightly degrading. That's because you can't make changes to a jpeg and resave it, even at 100% quality without it loosing something.

Larry Berman
    http://BermanGraphics.com
    412-401-8100

• I have a highly overactive creative mind for coming up with scenarios.

I live near a large university town where people do their work on laptops and other devices in public. Coffee shops, street benches, anywhere.

I also have family members big on multitasking, one hand on the device while doing two other things.

We think of jurying off site in a quiet room in the privacy of home. But, many people do not work that way, plus they work in little snippets of time.  Over time, being a juror for an art show may be seen as just some task to do, however, just so it is completed within the deadline.

For example, a juror who is only mildly aware of the show for which they are doing the jurying, could put together a nice looking show just by giving total credence to the booth shots only.

I have seen some beautiful booths of buy sell and some homemade-nothing special looking booths with phenomenal artwork. 

I don't need to go on with examples. My concern is that the job of jurying us for shows may over time become seen as a less important task. As long as the show looks good!

Yes, Patrick, $40,000 in jury fees. I would like to be confident that my work was viewed under the best circumstances. 

• How can a juror, looking at 1400 entries at a leisure pace give every artist an equal chance. Different surroundings,  different circumstances, time for dinner, favorite TV show is on, phone calls. Come on leisure!

• In case anyone is interested, Madisons Art on the Square does it this way.

• I think the show in question gets over 1400 applications. One of the benefits, according to show is it allows ,for a  leisure jury. Don't see where that is a benefit. Also they typically are using there own computers. What does that say about correct color display. They are making over $40,000.00 in jury fee's and they choose to jury cheaply.  

• You are not in the room with the jurors, so that would make it remote :-)

The jurors not being in all one room is not new. Many shows are doing this.

I'm not sure if this is better or worse for the artist.

It keeps them from discussing between themselves. Better chance of individual opinions. I'm more concerned with security.

This reply was deleted.