Quiet compressor?

I build birdhouses and I use a pneumatic nailer & compressor. I'd like to build some houses at my shows, (some shows require you to demonstrate), but my compressor is too loud to take along. Has anybody out there found a "quiet" compressor that could be used at shows that won't disturb the neighboring crafters?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Carol,

You should look into a line of compressors know as "Silentaire," they're used by airbrush artists. They're about as loud as your refrigerator and can withstand prolonged heavy duty use (I have used mine for thousands of hours at shows statewide with no problems in the 3 years I've owned it).

The best place to get them is http://www.coastairbrush.com, they have the best prices I've found in the united states.

Hope that helps if it's not too late!

Chris.
  • One more thing to consider is the noise of the nailer itself. "KiChunk, KiChunk KiChunk" during the show can annoy your neighbors, so just a heads up on that.
  • i would suggest using a scuba tank and a regulator. i know handyman who does this and doesnt even own a compressor! it should be relatively cheap and last a long time!
    • Ooh. That is a great idea, Bryan. I know that air brush artists use these too.

The other solution for compressor noise is building an insulated box around it. Some people on my sandblasting list do this. It is not pretty though and I would worry about it getting too hot. Does yours need oil?
  • Charlene,
    Rest assured I'm not even thinking of taking anything to a show that is powered by gas.

Charlene Marsh said:
    PLEASE do not take a gas powered piece of equipment to a show. The issue is not the "noise" ~ the issue is the poisonous carbon monoxide fumes these devils emit. The gases are odorless, colorless, tasteless, invisible and DEADLY ~ and if not deadly, they can make one really sick(you just wish you were dead). They can only be detected with a gas monitor (ones like your local fire department have) so unsuspecting neighbors and the public are being poisoned without knowing it. I was diagnosed with chronic carbon monoxide poisoning in November, 2008 and I simply won't even apply to shows that allow personal generators because no one knows were the little toxic bombs are located and I am not going to risk my health. I always request to be placed at least 200 feet from any commercial generators which a show organizer should know where those are located.
  • Hi Jim, thanks for the info. I did check out the rechargeable nailers--still in "sticker shock". I also looked at one of those portable tanks by Kobalt (I assume this is what you mean by portable tanks). They were $30+ each. I guess in the long run a rechargeable nailer is the more economical even though it was $400. I'm still trying to decide what to do---hate to put out that much money for something I'd only use at shows--especially since I only do about 6 shows a year right now.

Jim Parker said:
    You might look into a rechargeable, battery operated nailer -- I know DeWalt makes one, and Senco may as well.

If that's too rich for your blood, Senco's little PC1010 Compressor is fairly quiet, but it has a small tank, so it's best used for smaller brad nailers. I use mine to stretch canvas, and it has to pump the tank frequently.

Another alternative is to fill a couple of portable tanks and take them along to power your nailer. You can get fillable tanks at Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc.
  • You might look into a rechargeable, battery operated nailer -- I know DeWalt makes one, and Senco may as well.

If that's too rich for your blood, Senco's little PC1010 Compressor is fairly quiet, but it has a small tank, so it's best used for smaller brad nailers. I use mine to stretch canvas, and it has to pump the tank frequently.

Another alternative is to fill a couple of portable tanks and take them along to power your nailer. You can get fillable tanks at Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc.
This reply was deleted.