Pros & Cons: Armstrong Panel vs. Flourish Mesh

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new to the Art Fair community and looking to display my photography art work hopefully next Spring.  I am interested in purchasing a Caravan 10x10 canopy from Costco, but I was wondering if anyone can chime in the pros & cons on the Armstrong Panel vs. Flourish Mesh to display some of framed art.  

Thanks in advance, 
Laura

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We used the Armstrong panels for almost 30 years. As already mentioned they do allow for much more flexibility in displaying your work, it seems the configurations are endless. I think the mesh panels are really excellent for a lightweight easy display, and the price is right! For a beginner, probably ideal.

Aesthetically though I will always go with a solid panel, an Armstrong with a cover, (my personal preference) or a ProPanel. The advantage here is that the viewer's eye stops at the panel and doesn't get distracted by what they can see through the screen, more of a gallery look.
  • We have used the mesh panels for 4 years and found them to be excellent. Sometimes it can be difficult to get the work to hang properly, but that is usually when the ground is not level and you can't or don't level the stay bars. The Stay Bars also help strengthen the tent and add quite a bit of weight, especially if you get both the top and bottom bars...they are also easy to cart around, lightweight, and don't take up any space.
  • Sara - thank you for your insight. I was worried about the mesh walls not being sturdy enough in relative high winds as it is flat and can be quite windy here in TX (15-20 mph wind).

Sara Youngman said:
    Flourish mesh walls caught my eye. I'm a first year fair exhibiter and wanted to go with Trimline tent and propanels as I liked the solidity of them, but they wouldn't fit into my car. So I bought the mesh walls. They are great, the easiest part of the tent to set up and very sturdy. I work fairly small and usually have 40-50 pieces hanging. Solid walls, s-hooks have kept everything stable in fairly high winds. My one complaint is that I can't change the configuration. Looking around at fairs and seeing how people with carpeted panels can change the look of their booth makes me jealous. On the other hand, on clear days I can raise the vinyl walls and the mesh acts as screens, letting the breeze flow through without disturbing the art. Hope that helps.
  • Larry - Unfortunately, all my friends in the industry are wedding/portrait photographers. Currently, I am looking on some classifieds/Craigslist/eBay for some gently used ones. I'm located in DFW, TX.

Thanks for help.

Laura

Larry Berman said:
    Is it possible to borrow or rent a display so you have a minimal investment for your first show? Where are you located, which is something you should always state when looking for something that is too big or expensive to ship.

Larry Berman
    Digital J u r y Services
    http://BermanGraphics.com
    412-401-8100
  • Is it possible to borrow or rent a display so you have a minimal investment for your first show? Where are you located, which is something you should always state when looking for something that is too big or expensive to ship.

Larry Berman
    Digital J u r y Services
    412-401-8100
  • Thanks for all the responses.

Larry - I drive a semi-big SUV so I've plenty of space to hull things around. I also have access to a truck.

I was thinking of hanging 8-10 framed pieces. The biggest issue for me right now is cost as this is will be my first time doing an art show.
  • Kind of depends on how much space you have in your vehicle and how many pieces you want to hang on the walls. They both work but the panels are more flexible, take up more room in your vehicle and help the stabilize your display. The mesh walls are not flexible in size but take up less room. I've never used them but I've read that some people have a problem hanging their work level and are subject to the wind hitting the back of the walls.

Larry Berman
    Digital J u r y Services
    412-401-8100
  • That depends on the model of tent. The Costco Caravan has a steel frame and is very sturdy. I used one for years. Good luck!

Di St. Jacques-Blue said:
    Hi Laura, I hope you get response from your question; I have been debating this issue for months! Regarding the tent, I have heard that EZup is a better option than Caravan. Good Luck! Di St. Jacques-Blue
  • Hi Laura, I hope you get response from your question; I have been debating this issue for months! Regarding the tent, I have heard that EZup is a better option than Caravan. Good Luck! Di St. Jacques-Blue
This reply was deleted.