Pros and Cons of Flourish Mesh Panels

Newbie here.

I'm considering buying a used Trimline booth for $500. I could also buy the Pro Panels the seller has available for $1500. I'm wondering if I would be better off buying the booth and ordering mesh panels from Flourish rather than buying the Pro Panels, because of ease of transportation and the space needed to transport Pro Panels. If I get the Pro Panels I'll need to rent a van for every show. That being said, I may need to rent a van regardless. 

Description from the seller: dark gray, 2-piece panels are 8 feet high and 30" wide - 9 panels in all (18 pieces)

Displaying paintings, btw. 

Thoughts? Does mesh work well? Are Pro Panels that much nicer that if possible that's the direction you'd go? 

TIA

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• BTW Cheryl, your lighting (I know what you have), will work great with the Trimline. Just get figure out what support poles you might want to use with it. Normally you would use ---  two 10' light poles. one 4'  or 5' light pole. 3 long "L" brackets and 3 stabar "L" bracket.  However your PVC poles will reach the entire span. So you might experiment and see if you need anything. Flourish will tell you what you need. If you are getting the Trimline used, it may already have the extra parts.

• I have used mesh panels for years both on my Trimline and my Vatibri. The mesh panels all have the metal hooks to hang them and I do use upper and lower sta3688029509?profile=RESIZE_710xbars. I hang some quite heavy wood art using S hooks and also use some homemade J hooks for pieces that are a bit too heavy for S hooks. I am extremely satisfied and would recommend them. I cannot comment about pro panels because I have never owned any.

The have stayed very clean and I have only cleaned them one time by setting up in my yard with the tent to get them tight and then scrubbed them with a soft bristle brush and soapy water.

• Used mesh panels for the first time and ....they definitely need the top stabilizer bar which I did not order but will or have one made.  Velcro straps need to be pulled tight and then checked again if weather gets windy.  S hooks are a little flimsy but worked well on some pieces.  Heavy pieces pull on material and not in a good way.   Flourish caries a strap hanger that I am ordering for stabilization of heavy (10 pound ) pieces.

• I have been using the flourish mesh panels for years. On my trim line there is an upper State Bar as part of the frame. However on my undercover tents, I do not use any Upper Stabar. The mesh panels hook onto the accordion type frame of the tent. No Upper StaBar is needed.
      The S hooks work great. I hang 4 ft wide images on my S hooks with no problem at all. Also side to side I cinch them very snug. However top-to-bottom I do not snug the bottom very tight just a little snug.
  • There are 2 types of Flourish mesh... White or Black softwall.

I have used both but my comments here pertain to the Black softwall.

The only benefit of the propanel (PP), that I believe, is the flexibility. PP can be configured almost limitlessly. 

Mesh can be configured a few different ways but very limited comparatively.

As to hanging weight? I don't know however I have hung quite a significant amount of weight and pieces, on my mesh with no problems. As to structural stability, I might find the mesh better, as I've seen PP moved about in heavy winds but my mesh held.

As too portability? Mesh by far. No comparison, the mesh is compact and light.

As too setup speed, the mesh is extremely fast compared to PP. You can hang three walls in about 5 minutes at most.

As too durability? My mesh are great however I care for them very well. They don't get dirty easily. Very easy to clean if needed.

Hanging system? Mesh uses "S" hooks for inside and Drapery hooks for outside walls.

Light transparency? Mesh allow a little light through - PP opaque.

Breath-ability? Mesh allows some airflow - PP no airflow.

Uneven ground? Mesh supported entirely by Tent frame (except if French wall option used. PP needs there own support.

Appearance? I get nothing but compliments on the look of the Mesh, at shows. I do use the PP bins also, they match up beautifully with the Mesh. I don't think the PP look any better, however more variety of color choices with PP.

Price? Mesh much lower cost.

Another Con of Mesh... at corners, they do not meet to make a concealed seem. You may choose to hang an extra cloth for corners, if that is a concern. PP no corner exposure.

I believe the mesh leaves a little more open space at bottom. I sometimes use extra cloth for a finished bottom concealment.

If I had no concerns of transport or space, I might consider PP, but only for the flexibility. However, after being used to my setup, I think I would still choose the Mesh.

Last comment. PP company might be fine to deal with. I have had no issues with them. However Fourish is amazing in customer service. They set a standard that is hard to match.

• Yes Flourish customer service is Excellent!!!

• Why not just call the nice people at flourish and ask them?
    • Hello, what is the best way to clean the mesh walls. Dont have a house/garage/yard to use to help clean them

• I use to have the white mesh panels before I switched to black. I would remove the bars and wash them one at a time in my washing machine. I never had any issues and they were always bright and clean. Flourish told me that after I wash them to be sure to clean the bars with windex before inserting them back in. It removes buildup on the bars and they glide easier.

• Amanda - I've tried two ways.  First was by using a brush and soapy water while the walls were up in my driveway, then rinsing with a hose.  It's a bit of a challenge since they have some give to them when you're trying to scrub an area.  

The second way was at a laundromat.  You have to remove the bars in the top and bottom using pliers.  I used the largest washer they had, on delicate with a mild soap.  Getting the bars in and out is a pain, but they turned out beautifully.  

This reply was deleted.