Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

Hi. I'm just starting out. How should I hang my canvas oil paintings in my brand new tent? What would look good and not cost alot? Is there something a can make myself that would still look professional? What is the exact technique for actually hanging the artwork?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide for total newbie.

Views: 15572

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you use uphostery clips to hang your paintings? Would any thick fabric work? Thanks, Ann
Jennifer Simpson said:
I don't know if you've found anything yet but you asked what you could cover grid wall with......I'm in the grid wall camp as well until I can afford propanels or something similar. I bought a giant roll of burlap that I cover them with. I don't even sew it, I just use little clips to hold it at the sides. I cut it so that one piece drapes over the front and back. You can get it in different colors and it looks nicer than the grid wall by itself. Here's a photo of my booth with it :

Hi Ann.....actually I use small 's' hooks and no, I don't think just any heavy fabric would work unless it had a loose weave to it. At least not with s hooks. They aren't sharp so you have to be able to push them through the fabric to loop over the gridwall. If there's another fabric with a loose weave like burlap it would probably work though. I just couldn't find anything else lol. Here's a picture of what the s hooks look like. My artwork has a wire on the back that lets me hang it on the bottom curve of the s hook.

Hi Jennifer! LOL How does it hold up in the wind with the fabric on there?
Jennifer Simpson said:
I don't know if you've found anything yet but you asked what you could cover grid wall with......I'm in the grid wall camp as well until I can afford propanels or something similar. I bought a giant roll of burlap that I cover them with. I don't even sew it, I just use little clips to hold it at the sides. I cut it so that one piece drapes over the front and back. You can get it in different colors and it looks nicer than the grid wall by itself. Here's a photo of my booth with it :

Oh my look at this site for open weave fabric

http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/prod_detail_list/12

This fabric looks pretty close to what they use for those expensive Mesh Panels
Hi Jennifer :) - the wind doesn't really make any difference, the burlap makes it less windy inside the booth somewhat but with it being an open weave it can blow through it. I haven't had any wind issues with it. The gridwall also weighs your booth down nicely although the weight isn't great when it comes to loading and unloading. I checked out the site with the open weave material you put up, that looks like it would work perfectly. You can't tell from my booth photo buy my work has somewhat of an old-fashioned feel to it and I use a little vintage carry on case to sell my small prints in......the burlap contributes to the look I'm going for. But for someone going for a more modern vibe, the burlap may not work as well as far as aesthetics go. It does come in different colors though - http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/burlap/color-burlap/color-burlap-f... . I just liked the gold because it made a nice neutral (but happy lol) backdrop for my work.

http://thewillowsnest.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-to-make-easycheaplig...

I am in the same boat as you are in.  Here is what I have found so far.  She seems to have a pretty good idea.

Cindy Lesky

I have found a lot of useful techniques at this blog:

http://faso.com/fineartviews/20870/art-display-systems-for-art-fest...

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the our latest Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

Video Website Reviews

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service