Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

Open Juries this week

Columbus Arts Festival open jury February 4-5
Broad Ripple (Indianapolis) open jury Wednesday February 8

It's well worth the effort to attend one to see what your and your
competition's images look like. And you don't need to apply to attend
an open jury. Please notify me if you know of any other open juries.

Larry Berman
http://BermanGraphics.com
412-401-8100

Views: 2657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Larry-when you hear about any open juries, could you please post them here? Thanks

Thanks Warren,

The problem with the system is that only the artists who apply are notified of open juries, but anyone can attend. For years I've been asking ZAPP to send out bulk e-mail announcements of open juries and treat it as an educational component of the system.

Larry Berman
http://BermanGraphics.com
412-401-8100

Greetings:

The Krasl Art Fair on the Bluff in St. Joseph, Michigan has "Open Jurying" and I want to extend an invitation to to any artist to attend.

All of the information is available in the attachment.

Thanks and hope to see you there!

Sara Shambarger,

Director, Krasl Art Fair on the Bluff

Attachments:

The Krasl Art Fair on the Bluff had their jurying this past Friday, Feb 3 and there were at least 40 artists who "dropped by" throughout the day.   Thank you to all who participated!  Below is link of photo.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150751656603312&set=o....

Sara Shambarger,

Director, Krasl Art Fair on the Bluff

269-983-0271

Thanks for that report, Sara. I am impressed that 40 artists showed up. Good for them!

9:00         Welcome and explanation of process

9:15         2-D Miscellaneous                                            (68)

9:50         3-D Miscellaneous                                            (37)

10:10       Ceramics, Functional/Vessel forms; Raku        (61)

10:40       Break

10:45       Digital Media                                                    (10)

10:50       Fiber Art (non-wearable)                                 (11)

10:55       Furniture                                                         (10)

11:00       Glass: Blown                                                    (18)

11:10       Glass: Other                                                     (21) 

11:20       Jewelry: Metalworking                                     (100)

12:10       Lunch

1:10         Jewelry: Other (includes PMC)                 (47)

1:35         Leather                                                            (8)

1:40         Painting: Oil/Acrylic                                        (79)

2:20         Break

2:25         Painting: Watercolor                                        (18)

2:35         Photography                                                    (73)

3:15         Prints                                                               (11)

3:20         Sculpture                                                         (47)

3:45         Surface Design                                                 (5)

3:50         Wearable Art                                                  (36)

4:10         Wood, functional                                             (26)

4:25         Questions/ wrap up/ clean up

They were running almost an hour late. Each entry was given 20 seconds, more or less. Any name, anywhere, whether signage or the signature on the artwork, and it was 2 points off.

I never want to see a boat in water again or ducks swimming in water. That was more for the painters than anything else, but what was surprising is that there were several that almost looked identical as if they were painted from the same reference print. Several photographers had boats in water that all looked like the Joel Meyerowitz shots from about 35 years ago. There were shitloads of birch and cottonwood trees standing in ranks with the sun coming in. Lots of fuzzy macro shots of flowers. Many spectacular landscapes that tell me to not ever bother trying those, and those were probably half the entries. Two people entered nudes, one of which was tiny toys sitting on a tummy or a breast and the overall effect while technically good was cheesy as hell. The other had one good shot, one medium okay, and a cheesy one with two swords. The bottom end image turned it into the trite factor. No one else tried nudes or even simple figurative work at all.

There were way more B&W entries than what I thought would be there, and a lot of them suffered from poor contrast and highlight blowout. I guess PhotoShop has made B&W easier like a lot of things, but the wet darkroom work was pretty impressive.

I question the utility of stating that your work is printed on canvas or whatever, or spending a lot of time discussing the archival materials, as I would assume that's a given.

Many of the booth shots were terrible, cluttered, and awkward angles. If anyone listens to what's said in the forums here about booth shots, they wouldn't be doing that.

The statements were read as the images were being viewed and that took about 10 seconds or more to get through. Does anyone really give a damn what camera and lens you use to create artwork? I never hear painters wax eloquent about this or that sable brush compared to that horsehair brush, so why should we as photographers get bogged down about the gear? A few brave souls talked about what they were shooting for under the "technique statement" and trying to accomplish. I feel more of that is needed. Not a one discussed influences in their work, or what school of thought that had impact in their work.

I walked away with not knowing whether to feel confident or depressed. Mine was different, one of only maybe three that had skylines of urban areas. I had no worries about the booth shot, but the rest was a damn tough crap shoot. It's now just a matter of waiting until they post the scores.

I'm afraid the "travel" images may have been mine ;-) I had one of downtown Chicago at night, and one of the Seattle waterfront and skyline (NO Spaceneedle!). My third one was an architectural detail that probably only connected by a tenuous thread. I doubt I'll get in.

Half of the shots were grand sweeping landscapes. large, and on canvas. What was disturbing was that about 15 entries were so generic, although technically competent, that they could have been taken by the same person. I was expecting some serious creative work and I saw an awful lot of standard cliche work. The thing about cliches is that people are comfortable with them, and will buy them.

Years ago I had some some truly off the wall work, and some that were intellectually challenging. I received lots of comments and attaboys, but damn few sold. I went to NewOrleans for a short vacation, and decided to work on doors and windows, which is about as cliched as you can get. I took about 400 shots across two and a half days, boiled it down to 15 shots, of which about 10 are artistically viable, and my sales almost doubled. I didn't know whether to be pissed or happy ;-)

The problem with that is the shots are getting longer in the tooth, and some of the stuff I've been sitting on for about 3 years doesn't have the spark I'm looking for. I'm thinking about going back to alternative photo processes (one-of-a-kind prints), going big, and going upwards in price. Prints would be on hand-made papers, and some of the papers will be anything but smooth white inkjet papers ;-) There are some shows I've not gotten into or back into, and I might as well go for the gusto since the current offerings aren't working.

I personally love macro flower shots and I am also trying hard to get good macro shots but I must admit that I am not really talented. Nevertheless I keep on trying hard and hopefully some day I will have the perfect macro shot. I often get serenata florist flowers delivered glasgow and they are always so beautiful that I simply have to make macro shots.

Interesting breakdown, Becky, and thanks for providing this as it really points out the discrepancy between the number of applicants in each category. Looking at this I think I'll apply in "surface design." Wonder what that is?

It's usually painted furniture or wall hangings that have been repurposed. Think about flat surfaced wooden patio furniture with elaborate embellishments and designs. That's the usual catchall. The artist doesn't have to make the object, but they are responsible for the finish treatment. It's the wild and funky furniture ;-)

Okay, I'll go for that.

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the our latest Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

Video Website Reviews

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service