Actually the "artist statement" is the "description of materials and techniques" and the little devils are a giant pain, but they're becoming more and more critical. An artist statement is a different beast altogether and seldom asked for. Larry Berman has suggested that three versions should be written and saved; with the three as 100, 200, and 300 character statements.

The one hundred character statement is probably the hardest, and is more like a mini-tweet ;-) The suggestion was made over on one of the booth shot forum posts that a new thread be started where we could share some examples. I'll start off with mine below, and if someone feels there's a better way to say it, speak right up.

Hopefully we can get a dialog going like we have for the booth shots for newbies post.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here is my 100 character statement- Brenda Cline-Metal Souls.  I make unique jewelry for unique women.

Forging, folding and enameling metal to its unexpected form, enhanced by gems for self-adornment.

Any help?

thanks,

Brenda

• Forged folded enameled & enhanced by gems for adornment

Larry Berman

• The reason why I separated "forging, folding and enameling" because each piece of my work my not be cohesive. It seems that I create in many metals and techniques. One piece  might be only enameling, another piece would be metal and gems, another piece might be abstract mixed....very unique and always one of a kind.

I am pretty much all over the place.  That brings up another dilemma, for my photos should I be cohesive? 

Brenda

• Yes, and if they are cohesive, the same statement might work for all the images in the group.

Larry Berman

• Just want to clarify.  I should take photos of my work that is cohesive and not an example of the different and opposite my style is?  I want to do this right.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

• If you create a set or style of pieces all at one time, you should be able to choose which of those pieces to photograph because they all should be similar enough that it's a unified or consistent grouping.

Having a cohesive group allows you to show growth within your medium.

Larry Berman

• Thank you.  I will ponder my cohesiveness. :)

• I think your Description is intriguing, Brenda. I don't know if "self-adornment" is needed. I'd certainly like to see the images you submit to jury. Are any of the gems precious, or are they just semi-precious? Is the metal gold, silver, platinum, aluminum, copper, what? I suspect with enameling it's silver.

• by including self-adornment I want the viewer to know it is a conscious embarking of a journey to my  wearable art.

Please feel free to add or remove. :)

Brenda

• I totally understand your statement Brenda and like it! But then again as a jeweler, I love saying adornment. There is jewelry then there is wearable art!! 

Also I do a renaissance festival and "come and adorn yourself" as a catch phrase. 

This reply was deleted.