Motivation

I try to and have set goals of doing something creative everyday but I feel I am not getting anywhere. Time is a big problem. I work 40 hours a week and home stuff nags at me. On my days off, well I am going in circles, with family, priorities, trying to make money, etc. I was thinking of trying college again and taking art classes, maybe that would make me set the time aside. What do you think? Thanks for your time, Kathaleen

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• IMHO...You can't get relaxed with 40 hours days, you have NO down time or so called "chilling with your creative thoughts", forget it.  If your thinking of going into college again, then learn techniques, after that without the 40 hours....then relax your mind, take in what you have learned and get creative...make it your own.  Create your own style unlike anyone elses. 

Again, this is my way and it has served me well.

• ...and again there are two aspects here, do you want to do this professionally or as a creative outlet? I'm talking professionally.

• Hi Dawn, I like your perspective,and as this conversion has progressed, I am thinking of taking 2 classes in technique and broaden my mediums. I have drawn most of my life and I need to branch out and bring my confidence level back up, then go professional, hopefully. Many Thanks, Kathaleen
        • Kathaleen...if you have the opportunity to take clases...I would run to them and soak up all the knowledge you can absorb. As far as confidence level....there is nothing better than someone complimenting you on your work, paying you for your work is just a step above a compliment...but it's all good.

I actually have a "bucket list" of things I want to do...and actually one is taking a Fondant Class in Charlotte.  My husband thinks I'm nuts but who cares...there is a cake out there with my name on it!

• Kathleen, your post takes me back to when my 4 boys were all little and home.  People years later told me how frazzled I was.  I had no idea I was coming off like that to people.  I was a stay at home mom and I wasn't even trying to do creative art work at home.  Life was just overwhelming.  The kids were bathed and fed but my house was a disaster.  All I was doing was trying to keep my head above water.  I don't mean to discourage you but adding more things to your life may just add more stress.  You may have to think of ways to lighten your load.  Maybe think about hiring a cleaning lady who comes about once a week.  And don't clean before she comes!  Let her do it.  I don't know if you have kids or not but if you do, they may have to help with some of the work load at home.  Chores will let them do their part for the family. 

Even in all that craziness, it is always theraputic to do a little something creative for yourself.   Therapy helps a person get through all that craziness.  I don't know what you will end up doing but as time passes and the kids get older you will have more time to yourelf.  My kids are all gone now.  None of them live here in our town.  Most of the craziness is gone.  But, I still always feel like I have too much to do.  That is the story of life.  Good luck.

Jacki B

• I am very happy. I struggled through some tough years juggling family, art, home and a job with the goal to support myself with my art. Now, I can decide to start my day at the beach if I need to. This life is not easy but it is a whole lot better than punching a clock at a locked down government building. I think a lot of woman are pretty adept at juggling and I think it is very telling that this conversation was started by an artist who was not whining about how tough her life is, but asking about what MORE she can do to improve it. Some can use her question as a reason for sarcasm but I think the support from fellow artists who struggle with the same challenges is inspiring.
      • Thank you Pat, I don't like to whine, I like solutions, life is too short, time is precious and I don't like to waste time either. I guess I see this as a job, I want this as a job and I want to make the right decision and I figured that what better place to ask this question was here, where people know, they have lived it, they do it everyday, they are survivors, they see the job and they do the job.
  • Thank you so much, you have all hit the nail on the head, even Sam, I have given up for spans of time, only I cant shut my brain off, I wake up with drawings in my head. Sincerely, Kathaleen
  • I only recently had an "aha" moment about this and I have been doing shows for about 15 years now. Sheesh, You cannot force yourself to be creative. Yes, you can sit yourself down in your studio and command yourself to do something, but I think your work reflects your heart. We all know how wonderful it is when that creative urge hits and the hours fly by and you are happy doing what you do.  My thought is that you have to be flexible enough about your "real" life to permit yourself to obey that urge. Adding more regimens to your life isn't going to give you what you need..creative time. I don't force it any more. I make myself do grunt work, like cutting mats and making the inexpensive "widgets" that pad the bottom line. I go up to the studio every day. Sometimes I just organize. If I feel that little flutter of desire to create, then I do. But the reality is that as long as you have a full time job, this is a tough road. I gambled and took a very early retirement so I would have time for this. It means my pension isn't even enough to buy food, but I am happy. The cooperation of your family is really important. If my kids hadn't been willing to hang around behind the canopy for 12 hours a day and if my husband wasn't the best roadie in town, I'd be back to work for the government.  And a cleaning person is a relatively minor expense that will pay for itself many times over. Good luck and cut yourself some slack. :)
    • Wow, Sam.  Really?  Those are your thoughts?  What makes you think a lot of us are "just unhappy"?  Kathaleen is looking for a little balance in raising a family, working a 40 hour week and finding time to be creative.  What better place than here to get a little inspiration?  Geez, "just give up".  Maybe that would be your solution and if it is, I guess we won't be seeing you at any art fairs.  The women that have responded here sound a lot tougher than "Just give up." 
This reply was deleted.