Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

Hello Art Show Folks,

I have been through some major life changes recently. As a result, I have decided to make the plunge and venture out to the art fair world to sell my photography. I am working outside of the US right now but at the beginning of 2018, I will be back in the country and ready to take on art fairs full time. And, I will be doing it while traveling in my SUV and a travel trailer...at least that is the plan at the moment.

Are there others folks out there that are "location independent" and working art shows from their RV or travel trailer? I am interested in learning from those who have blazed this trail. What are the big considerations? Am I crazy for considering this? This information will be very helpful as I move forward to this new life in 2018.

Thanks in advance for your advice/comments!

Mike

mbthomasphotography.com

Views: 1715

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Gary and Maureen,

I have a follow-up question to a discussion from almost a year ago. I am about to get my RV and hit the road to art fairs. I checked into getting liability insurance with RLI and they needed a physical address in order to provide the insurance. I told them that I do not have one. I have a mail forwarding service with a permanent address. They want me to have a physical place for address. How have you purchased liability insurance when you are a fulltime RVer? Any advice?

Thanks! Mike

Hi Mike, I've been living in my RV and doing shows for the last 3 years. It's far easier on the west coast than on the East. Lots of BLM land out here where you can live free or cheaply. I spend winters in Quartzsite AZ in the winter where you can stay on BLM land from the 15th of September till the 15th of April for $180 (this includes water and sewage dump). I don't get there till November because it doesn't cool down till then. It averages temperatures from 40 degrees to 75 degrees in the winter. I also rent a self storage unit there ($75 for a 10 X 20) where I keep my supplies and finished pieces (I do metal work). I'm now using a 6 X 10 cargo trailer, tall enough to stand up in, as a portable studio. I spend the winter creating work to sell at art fairs during the summer.
In the summer I head to Cottage Grove Oregon as my base camp. I have a storage unit there too. $110 for a 10 X 20. I keep my show equipment there along with finished pieces. I also keep my 2 14 foot kayaks there. East of Cottage Grove is lots of cheap BLM land for camping. This year I'm doing 6 shows from California to Washington. I try to do one show a month.
It's working really good for me. Good luck!
Attachments:

Hi Ralph, Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like you have worked out the system that suites you for life on the road, creating artwork and attending art fairs. I am just studying up on the boondocking opportunities on BLM lands. I would love to take advantage of that but it sounds like the West is where it is concentrated. I will have my home base in Arkansas but that doesn't prevent me from going anywhere my SUV + travel trailer can go. I might consider fairs that are out West more for that reason. You have given me some ideas to think about. I hope our paths cross out there on the road. Thanks again, Mike

Hello Ralph,

I have a follow-up question to a long ago discussion. How do you purchase your liability insurance when you are a fulltime RVer? I checked with RLI and they want my business to have a physical address. I have a physical address with a mail forwarding service but that does not suit them. Advice?

THanks, Mike

RSS

Want to sell more online? Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

Top 10 Reviewers on ArtShowReviews.com for January and February

© 2019   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service