I make jewelry in both Precious Metal Clay and Wire Wrap.  Since there are only 3 or at most 4 pictures submitted to the jury for a show, in the past I have taken pictures showing groupings of several items (such as 3 PMC pendants, or 3 wire wrap bracelets), and have been moderately successful in getting into shows.  But I've never been accepted to major shows.  This year I'm making a concerted push to polish up my booth, booth picture and my jury pictures.  I've learned through AFI that my photos should show continuity, which is harder for me to visualize showing both media.  So here are my questions for you all:

Will including more than one piece of jewelry in a jury photo negatively influence my chances of being accepted?

If I submit photos of only one jewelry medium and then show up for the show with jewelry made of another medium as well be cause to eliminate me from the show?  I always include both types of jewelry in the descriptions.

Any comments are most welcome.  Thanks in advance for taking your time to respond.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do you not have 1 piece of jewelry that incorporates both techniques?  I would have 1 shot, with the wrapped stuff, the next would be the bridge (wrapped piece incorporating pmc), last would be all pmc.  Of course, stretch this by however many shots you need, just put a bridge in there.  Don't put more than 1 piece in the shot.  The jury wants to see your level of craftsmanship and get an idea of your style....they don't need to see every piece:)

• I've done trial and error with this over the last 7 years.  Some shows I only send my bead embroidery in the jury pix, because that is what gets me in - but send booth pic with both, and mention both in description.  Some shows I send one composit piece and the rest are embroidery.  After awhile you get a feel for what is pretty much acceptable where - even though the jurors change from year to year.  Some shows I knw in advance I had better stick to the one style to have greater chance of getting in.  But it is true that most jurors do not have a clue what goes in different jewelry mediums, so it is really a crap shoot.

Over the last 2 years I have started actually emailing or calling the shows for clarification of their jewelry rules.    This has helped me in understanding what they will/will not accept, and has given me an opportunity to "educate" some shows as to how misleading their written rules may be.

• Thanks, Diana.  It's a good idea to try to get more information from the shows.  My goal this year is to try to get to an open jurying session to see if it gives me more insight.  Good luck to us both!

• Rather than trying to show your full range, concentrate on one style for your jury photos. The applications often have a space for a description of your work overall and that is where I would list the different materials you use. You could also design one or more pieces employing both metal clay and wire wrap. I'd love to see something like that myself!

Robin Ragsdale
    www.evenbetterimages.com

• thanks, Robin.  I appreciate your input, too.

• I do an equal amount of forged and fabricated metal jewelry and beadweaving.  When I apply to a show, I generally submit my photos of the metalsmithing work I do.  I found that I was being waitlisted when I appplied with the beadweaving.  I don't think you can submit pictures of both as it does not show a consistent body of work.  I do mention in my artist statement that I do both and have both in my booth shot.  . 

• Well, my experience has been that jury members don't look at wire jewerly as "real" either.  I've had professional slides taken,paid the jury fees and still havent been able to get juried into any of the "better" shows.  Wish I could offer more encouragement.
    • I am right there with you, Jeanette.

• You've all given me a lot to think about, that's for sure!  I do appreciate all of the time you've taken to respond.  Keep those cards and letters comin' in!!
      • Just now catching up on discussions, and, I saw that Patricia's comment was deleted--did she say something offensive?

This reply was deleted.