Insurance policies

I make custom made fishing rods & exotic writing instruments. I'm looking to have my products covered under my home owners policy. The insurance agent states that I must have my items appraised. Has anyone dealt with an appraiser? They suggested an art appraiser, but that doesn't sound right to me.

My primary concern is to have the items covered while in the house.

Any input would be appreciated.

George

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Business insurance for in home based art business is important. I was told. and it makes sense,  to get everything with one carrier" house, auto, studio, shows, travel etc so there is not a big squabble over who is going to cover what for a claim. Appraisals? Why isn't your retail price on the rods good enough? It has always worked for my saddles etc. 

• I guess the insurance company needs an unbiased appraisal. It would be possible to scam an insurance company by over pricing an item(s) and then submitting a claim. I understand their possible concern. I thing I'm going to contact an insurance broker & see what they have to say,

• It sounds like you have some interesting products you create as a craftsman. You never can go wrong getting fine art appraised and creating a baseline of value for your custom products. I would suggest you shop around and get quotes from other insurance companies before communicating with your current insurance company providing your homeowner coverage. They may or may not know you have a home-based business that could affect your premiums or decide to drop you or not renew your policy.  

• Thanks - I think that I'll investigate an insurance for the business.

• I would highly recommend getting business insurance. It's as little as a few hundred per year or as low as $49 per show as stated on an ad in this site. Since you'd be carrying insurance for liability purposes, you wouldn't want someone to sue you and go after your personal assets. With business ins. you get a lot of $ coverage for the money.

This reply was deleted.