In Memoriam - Doug Durkee

IIt is with great sadness that the family of Douglas Martin Durkee, 71, of Marietta, Georgia announces his unexpected passing on Tuesday, May 8.

Doug will be lovingly remembered by his devoted wife Nannette and his daughter Kira Hassenger. Doug will also be fondly remembered by his two grandchildren, Koen Durkee and Kadence Vanger, his step-sons John and Wesley, step-grandchildren AJ, Samantha, Lisa, Josh, Rebecca, Rachael and Daniel, by his sisters, Carolyn Fox, Melinda Durkee and Heather Durkee and his many friends and colleagues on the art fair circuit.

Doug was a native of Lansing, Michigan. Doug served his country in the United States Navy. Doug was a renowned artist, loving husband, caring father, and friend to many. 

Doug was a fixture at art fairs for many years. Always smiling and really working the crowd. He was one of those artists that drew people to attend art fairs with his intriguing art and engaging personality. 

If you didn't know Doug you might enjoy this Youtube video interview:

https://youtu.be/iHuv3maBkgM

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Update: 

A memorial service will take place at the Georgia National Cemetery in Canton, Georgia on Friday June 1, 2018 at 11:30 for close friends and family. A Celebration of Doug’s life will follow from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at 1390 East Piedmont Road in Marietta, Georgia.

For those unable to attend, we welcome any notes or special memories to be posted on facebook. 

• Connie, I'm sorry, I misunderstood Patty-my fault. His space may have an Artist, however, she is nice enough to leave his name on the brochure as a tribute to him. I just spoke with Kira & there may be more information to follow for the ARTISTS. I came on here to confirm the correct information about the Asheville, NC. show.

• I have learned from Doug's good friend Kathy Smith that the autopsy showed that he suffered a massive heart attack. He'd recently been in good health so it was a surprise to everyone. I believe that Patty Narozny will be leaving his space empty at this weekend's upcoming Hot Works show in Asheville, NC, in tribute to him.

• Doug was a good friend and we shared an experience about 28 years ago while doing an art show at the Monroeville Mall. It was something that causes us to laugh hysterically each time we ran into each other over the years. Sorry but it's not something I can post about on a public forum. Besides doing art shows, we also shared a love of playing guitar since I got back into it almost two years ago.

If you've ever seen a black canopy it was Doug's booth. He created furniture with repeating patterns of lights that went on forever - infinity tables. I'm including one of his clocks in this post so you can see what I'm referring to.

We spoke on the phone a few times a year, the last about three weeks ago.

301685970?profile=original

Larry Berman
    http://BermanGraphics.com
    412-401-8100

• Thank You Connie for the beautiful & accurate words. Dougs' Daughter Kira told me earlier today that he had no pain & he went quickly...With a heavy heart, I lost today one of my very best friends. ART was Dougs' Heart & Soul & he was a perfect example of what a true ARTIST was!  He took his work very seriously & it showed. He was hard on himself always needing to know he created the piece in the very best possible way it could have been created! I was so amazed at the creative progression of his work-it just kept getting "better with age!" We will all, I'm sure also miss his sense of humor!!  You always knew when Doug was in the show. He indeed was the life of the party! I will miss you FRIEND...I will miss you a lot~no one can ever take away the memories we all had knowing him. Gone too soon, but I know you are in the arms of God. 

This reply was deleted.