Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

I'M ASKING FOR THE NEWEST IDEAS FOR A MARINE BATTERY SET-UP!! THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR IDEAS!

WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A MARINE BATTERY WITH US FOR ALL SHOWS-ELECTRIC IS NOT ALWAYS AVAIL., & IF IT IS, IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE! SOMETHING WAS POSTED A LONG TIME AGO ABOUT THIS BUT WE WERE HOPING THERE ARE POSSIBLY "NEW" IDEAS ABOUT MARINE BATTERY SET-UPS THESE DAYS??! THANK YOU FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS~STEVE & I WOULD APPRECIATE THEM! KATHLEEN & STEVEN

Views: 403

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kathleen - I haven't seen much "new" activity on this topic lately so maybe someone else will be able to comment on that. I set up my battery rig based on the advice in older threads here and the information on the propanels site at http://www.propanels.com/lighting/battery.  I spent a more $$ to get an AGM style marine battery which seemed to me to be a bit safer than the other styles in terms of venting & leaking. I run a set of 6 14-watt LED bulbs off of the 125 Ah battery and it is gorgeously bright. I haven't done exhaustive testing on how long the setup will actually run compared to the "best case" calculation of ~ 8 hours, and I don't use them when not needed, but I have run them for 6-7 hours with no issues.  To run for a full day in a show with long hours I'd likely need a 2nd battery.

The problem, for me at least, is that the battery is ~80 lbs. I'm not particularly big or strong and it is a nightmare for me trying to lift that thing from the cart to the car and back.  I'm intrigued by the smaller, lighter battery powered setups I see at Silicon Lightworks: https://siliconlightworks.com/.  I didn't go with those originally because the cost would have been so much higher than piecing together my own solution with the marine battery. But I sometimes regret that when I'm trying to lug that battery around.

It may be that there is another solution with a portable AC power bank, but the ones I saw at the time that may have been powerful enough to meet my needs were just as heavy and more expensive. I think those setups are essentially the exact same system, just encapsulated so the plugs and inverter are all in the same container as a giant battery. But someone else may have better suggestions here.

Anyway, hope this helps, feel free to ping me if you want more complete details about the setup and components I used.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE MANDY! I WILL FORWARD THIS TO STEVE-MY OTHER HALF-THE HALF THAT UNDERSTANDS THIS STUFF!! STEVE WILL APPRECIATE YOUR KIND HELP. HOPE TO SEE YOU DOWN THE ROAD~LOVE TO SEE YOUR WORK!

Mandy, you estimate about 8 hours run time. I figure over 17 hours run time on your setup. Of course that is using all of the battery but, 125AH is a strong battery.

6) 14 watt bulbs =-- 6x14=84watts

84watts = ?Amps x 12VDC

84 = 7 x 12

125AH / 7amps =17.86 hours 

You are correct Larry. I was setting expectations of ~8 hours based on having read at http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/deep-cycle-battery-faq that you should try not to discharge more than 50%. I see you mention below that you've had no issues with running it further?

Here's what we use.  These will actually jump start a regular car.   They are slightly larger than a mnas rear blue jeans pocket.   You can either buy 12vDC LED lights and run direct, or you can put an inverter on these and run 120VAC led lights.  I do not recommend the inverter /120ac route as it is not efficient.  At the price of these simply put one on each light.  They will power a 8W LED bulb for 6-8hrs (8W LED is equivalent approx to a 50-60W normal bulb)

HI MONTE~SO NICE OF YOU TO HELP US WITH THIS INFORMATION & I LOVE YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR ALONG WITH IT-WE ALL NEED THIS (ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR APPLYING FOR SHOWS!) I WILL PASS THIS TO STEVE & HE WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE IT! HOPE TO SEE YOU DOWN THE ROAD AND YOUR WORK AS WELL!!

Monte,

Where are DC LEDs available? Skipping the inverter makes sense.

I get mine from superbrightleds.com  the link -->

http://tinyurl.com/lfge3ph

Simply get a normal clip on shop light (the cheap round metal hood ones) cut off the plug and attach a regular 12dc auto type connector.  It is dead simple, but if you haven't done it ask almost any car/truck person who wires trailers for directions.

Many thanks. Skipped a lot of unnecessary steps to get exactly what I wanted.

(Forgot to add the link to the previous post) Try this.   These will actually jump start a normal sized car.   Use one per light (8W LED that's equivalent to 40-60W tungsten)  will last 6-8hrs between recharges.  Recharges from any USB source like you wall sockt-USB charger. 

WalMart - T66 12000mAh Portable Auto Car Multifunctional Jump Starter Power Bank Battery~~

http://tinyurl.com/kwpmryg

THANKS FOR THE LINK MONTE-THIS WILL BE VERY HELPFUL!

I just bought a deep cycle agm marine battery from amazon - 100ah for $160 - and pairing it with a charger and inventor I got there as well. Plus the battery box. I'm running two sets of led lights, each set pulls 21 watts so if my calculations are right, the battery should be enough for a two-day show without a recharge. We'll see. 

RSS

Want to sell more online? Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Top 10 Reviewers on ArtShowReviews.com for January and February

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

© 2018   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service