I'm relatively new to doing art fairs and I'm in the process of searching for appropriate art fairs to apply for 2020. The region I'm looking for is within 500 miles of Dayton, Ohio.

I'm familiar with callsforartists.com but I'm wanting a more comprehensive list.

Given my newbie status I don't require the "best" shows, but due to my subject matter and business approach, I'm wanting at least a moderate level and number of upscale clientele.

I don't mind paying for a publication that would make my search easier (although Greg Lawler's products are a bit pricey).

Any suggestions on publications, services, or other resources are appreciated!

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Nobody can do it for you and your medium. Read the reviews to get general feel for your fit. Then do it. I too drew circles on US maps of 500, then 300 miles out. Now, after 20 plus years of trial and error the last 10 years or so have been eliminating marginal shows we are down to 5-6 that consistently provide daily minimum of $1.5K. It works for me but probably not other mediums. YOU and no one else can do YOUR research for YOUR Medium.

• Zapplication puts it all together.  By state.  By deadline.  By show month.  Upload a good portfolio of photos of your work and your set-up and go to town!  It's free.  Show jurying fees can add up though, so choose wisely.

• There are a dozen sites now listing shows. Most will be listed here. None of them will help you much in determining if you will make any money in the show. Seeing what you do on this site may help a few give you an idea if you belong in certain shows or not. The bottom line is you never know until you have done a show if its for you or not.,
    • Good point, Barry. Jay, artists take years to hone out a list of events that work for them. In your shoes, I'd decide how far you want to travel in a first year, draw a circle around that and then do that search from David's list, and read Judy's info carefully. We also have done a series of podcasts that discuss this topic at ArtFairRadio.com. Artists talk about how they choose shows and give tips on making careful decisions.

• Judy, Richard, Larry, Sonja, and S Brian - I really appreciate the helpful replies!

• Zapplication lists shows with due dates and the calendar feature keeps you up-to-date but there is no reviews of shows on their site. Also, Sunshine Artist Magazine has reviews of some shows and lists of due dates for applications.

• Sunshine Artist is now geared mostly towards crafts, since being purchased by a craft conglomerate a few years back.

• That may be true, Carol, and I know you have an insider's point of view. But the listings are pretty extensive. We used it a lot to find smaller events that could fill an empty weekend when we'd be out on the road. Maybe not the best shows, but it is hard to make a living in this business if you only depend on getting into the A shows. Right? We always had a handful of not so great events that kept the income going.

• Before the Art Fair Source Book it was the only way to find shows because you could look up the weekends you had free.

Larry Berman

This reply was deleted.