Hiring Set Up Help

Does anyone hire outside help to set up and break down at art fairs when you become physically unable to set up yourself.  If so, how do you go about hiring and what services do you request?  

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I do the same thing, Nancy, but I hold all the money until the show and breakdown is over - unless they ask for a cash advance on the total.  That way they are probably not going to blow off the breakdown.  I've had some great people help me, btw.

• Can you share the Craigslist ad text that you use to get your helpers?  That would be really beneficial to me.  Thanks!

• Hi Tina, This is CC - I already did, in detail.  It's the third post down from the top.  Nancy may have something different and it would be worth looking at her example as well.

• I dont use the labor companies because the workers get less than minimum wage they tell me
    I use craigs list but have had some no show..my friend asks for pictures and some bios. If i get an "ill do it" i say no..i expect a note as a courtesy and so i get to trust they will show up.
    I always us craigs list and share with other artists. I pay $20 as i feel a grown person willing to help deserves decent pay. I pay all but 20 the first day but hold back 20 so they will show for tear down
  • Wendy, I use PeopleReady, a staffing agency that has offices across the country. I let them know in advance what the job is with a detailed description (unloading, loading, set-up, some tool use, need to use a short ladder, needs to be able to lift 40 lbs., needs to have previous event experience.) that sort of description. The agency hires the worker, pays them and covers liability. I pay the agency. The worker must provide their own transportation.

This has worked for me very well. I have only had one no-show situation and one worker unsuited to the task. The rate will vary from city to city In San Francisco it was higher because the agency pays the health insurance  in addition to state and federal taxes. The agency screens the workers. Shows might have volunteers but they are spread thin with other requests. I like having a worker that will stay until the job is done.

https://www.peopleready.com/jobstack/customer

• Wow-some really good information. Thanks for asking the question.

• Hi Wendy,

I've done it many times through Craigslist.  The more specific you can be, the better.  After I posted my craigslist ads, I would have to shut it down in about ten minutes because of the deluge of responses.  This one says I'm paying 15 an hour, but I usually paid $20 an hour, figuring three hours on the front end and two hours on the breakdown - $100 was well worth the money for someone else to do the heavy lifting.  You'll notice I ask for someone who's 5'11."  I got lots of responses from people saying they would bring a ladder, but I always refused them.  I use my ladder for myself, don't want two in a 10 x 10 space during setup - it's much much better when you have someone who can just reach up and do things rather than have to get on a ladder.  Here's one of my ads:

ART SHOW SET-UP

Artist needs help setting up and breaking down for the OLD TOWN ART FAIR in Chicago.  Prefer someone who lives close to or in the Old Town neighborhood.  Dates and time needed:  Saturday 6/12 @ 6:30 am  - approximately 2-3 hours,  Sunday 6/13 @  6:30 pm - approximately 2-3 hours.  Requires ability to lift up to 50 lbs.  Prefer 5'11" or taller.  Need to have a cell phone.  Must be punctual, energetic and able to take direction.  Request if hired that you commit to job regardless of possibility of rain.  Non-smoker during work time.  Pays $15 per hour.  Payment to be made on 6/13 at the end of the job.

p.s.  You'll also get a lot of people touting their "art experience," and I always make it clear that this job is manual labor, artistic ability or opinions not needed.

I've gotten some great help over the years and only a few I wish I hadn't hired.  I've gotten teachers on summer break looking for extra money and a whole variety of other people  - some who really needed the money and some who just wanted a little extra spending money.

Hope this helps!

• Thank you so much.  A sample of your add is really helpful

• Thank you, especially for the ad.  This is a great help!

• I'm curious about liability with regards to these helpers?  We could use help with a forecasted 30+ shows (and some physical limitations on our part, though we muscle through - having a strong 18 year old would do wonders!).  But, should someone helping us get injured, etc., I don't want them coming after us.  Is it prudent to have them sign an agreement BEFORE they start (to hold harmless) or are they considered "independent contractors" and on their own?  Anyone have a BAD experience with a helper?  Also, at a couple shows that force helpers on us to speed things along, I hold my breath every time they grab our art containers or walk with our art which can be damaged.  This year, I'd love to employ some help, but I have these concerns.

This reply was deleted.