Hi guys

I'm a ceramic artist (AKA potter) from Greenwich, CT. I had only 3 shows - two of which were pretty minor league - under my belt when just for fun I applied to a major crafts fair and was shocked to be accepted. The booth fee is pretty hefty, so I have to be somewhat successful to cover it. Hoping to get lots of tips, pointers, and caveats from you all.

My stuff is somewhat strange - it probably fits best into the steampunk category. Steampunk hasn't really hit the northeast, however, so either I'll have to find other promising fairs or really dig hard to find the few that are around. 

I work in cone 6 porcelain. Here are some images: 

710B5464-A905-441E-847E-EFB73D4648B4.jpeg

A9DFF805-DC60-4477-B306-06ADBCC78194.jpeg

C7033338-6154-43E0-9364-CCDB4011D39B.jpeg

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Really like your work. You might check out the Steam Punk community in the York & Lancaster PA area. I have participated in a Steam Punk Market in the York area 2 years in a row and it was lucrative and very well attended.There is a strong Steam Punk community in the York area.

• Really? That's only a couple of hours away. Do you happen to know the name of the festival? I will get on the internet & see if I can find it. 

• There is a Steam Punk Market in downtown Lancaster but I am not sure of the dates and times of that one. The show in York County is usually in August and is a New Freedom Farmers Market Special Event. The contact for the Steam Punk market is Melissa Emerick and her email is SteampunkFarmersMarket@gmail.com I haven't set anything up with her for this year yet  so am unsure of dates etc. Good luck.

•  Thank you very much!

• The images need better cropping. But here's the thing. If you have the skills to create pieces like that you can also create a more mainstream line that can get you into better shows.

Larry Berman
    http://BermanGraphics.com
    412-401-8100

• Yes, I'm not sure how to crop the images to fit. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. Do you have any advice?

As for the second, well, this is what I do. With the jellyfish theme I'm trying to move into the realm of weird critters (already do Godzilla and Gamera) but sad to say, I think I must be a lost child of Morticia and Gomez. I love doing skeletons with personality at mundane human pursuits. There is a market - I just have to do some intelligent research.

• The links make my security program "scream"..... However, you might want to check if there are any near-by sci-fi/comic conventions with art shows coming up. Steampunk is still doing well at them, and ceramic pieces would be "different" that the usual media.

Table space tends to be inexpensive, compared to "craft fairs", so you might check re: mail in possibilities-- I know Comic Con International (San Diego) accepts mail in art, and the staff is experienced in setting it up, and re-packing any "left overs". https://www.comic-con.org/cci/art-show Currently, the Art Show is to be held at the Hyatt Manchester, and open to the public, so there will be the "geeks and nerds" Comic Con attendees and "regular tourist" attendees visiting the San Diego summer tourist attractions (two of which next door to the hotel-- Sea Port Village and the Marina/Park).
  • Hi Ginny, Really, really interesting work. Steampunk definitely has its audience. 

A tip for you that might get you some responses is to add the images of your pottery instead of a link to it. Look at the top of this page where it says "get Started" and you'll find a link for posting in the forum or blog AND a tutorial on how to put images into your posts. Do that and then we'll share your query.

• Done!

• Ginny, I just uploaded one of the images ... by having the images in the post you'll get better feedback.

This reply was deleted.