I posted yesterday, but it was deleted, and for the life of me, I cannot remember what I actually said, other than I was informed that I'd posted something I shouldn't have. Should have read the rules first! Shame I me, I should have known better, as I operate a bulletin board myself through my non-profit!!! BAD. I do remember that I forgot to include my name.

OK, so let's try this again. I have a real name, Barbara Berney, and I'm an artist in digital collage and jewelry, in addition to a few other things. I'm also an art fair director of two regional shows in my city (really, it's just a very large very small town), Art on the Lawn and Rockford Artists Fair. I've directed AOTL since it's inception in 2000 and as VP of the Rockford Art Guild, just took over the RAF last summer. AOTL is always the second Sunday in June, RAF is the third weekend in September.

I'm an active advocate for the arts, involved up to my earballs with The Element Rockford, a group dedicated to transforming our seriously economically depressed city into an arts destination. I'm working on opening a non-degree granting, non-credit community school for the arts in the downtown area, hoping to expand that into a community arts center at some point in the future. In addition, I plan and coordinate arts events, including the Element's ArtScene in the spring and fall, during which we present performing arts as well as visual arts.

As of Wednesday, I'm a volunteer with Rockford Helps Haiti, a benefit concert planned for late in February, responsible for marketing (with a great committee of volunteers!). Doesn't leave much time to do my own art, but I do some, and am represented in five galleries in northern Illinois and Wisconsin. And today (yippee), I'm represented locally both with my jewelry and my digital art at Cholke DiCapri Photography and Fine Art Gallery.

Totally unrelated to any of the above, I run a non-profit organization for people who have had bad outcomes from LASIK and other refractive surgery. In July 2001, I got toasted and lost my clear vision—cannot drive at night, very poor qualtiy of vision in anything but bright sunlight, and only then with glasses. Glasses don't help the night vision disturbances at all.

A career graphic designer and media supervisor, I specialize in publications design, as well as writing, editing and illustration. I can't take a crisp, clear photo to save my life, but I teach workshops on how to take and optimize photos for entry into art shows. Addicted to beads, coffee and Thai green curry, I also work as a patient representative to the Food and Drug Administration on the ophthalmic devices panel, LASIK complications, and I'm going on Sunday to Washington, DC, for a Monday meeting. Love it when someone else pays for my travels!

I'm *retired.* :)

marilyn-6'.jpg

circus.gif

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks, Deb! I love this site!

Deborah Leigh Thenen said:
    Sounds like you are one busy person which is great! You are active in so many great things! I'm Deborah, or Deb, the Asst. Site Editor for ArtFairInsiders.com. I'm also an artist (potter), who is into a multitude of things. It's great to have you here on the site and I look forward to learning more about your organization and events. Thank you so much for joining and I hope the site is helpful and enjoyable for you!

Deborah L. Thenen
  • Sounds like you are one busy person which is great! You are active in so many great things! I'm Deborah, or Deb, the Asst. Site Editor for ArtFairInsiders.com. I'm also an artist (potter), who is into a multitude of things. It's great to have you here on the site and I look forward to learning more about your organization and events. Thank you so much for joining and I hope the site is helpful and enjoyable for you!

Deborah L. Thenen
  • Welcome! Glad to see more people finding this site. The people on here have a wealth of info and are willing to share.

Carol
  • Thanks, Paula, glad to be here!
    Barbara

Purse Stuff - Paula said:
    Welcome Barbara -
    Art Fair Insiders is a great resource and filled with wonderful people.
    Glad you are here.

Paula
This reply was deleted.