After reading as much as I could find here on the subject, I set up my new canopy and panels and took my first booth shot. I would appreciate any feedback I can get, as I am about to set up my ZAPP account and begin apply for shows.

Did I crop too much? Does my tent look small? I do have a Pro Panel desk, but I didn't include it because it always just looked like it was in the way. Is it a mistake to leave it out?

Also, I did read that if I use a photo bin I should include it in the booth shot. Well, I WILL use a Pro Panel bin - but I'm out of capital and I don't have it yet. But I need to start applying to shows. Should I try to Photoshop it in - or should I just leave the image alone?

Thanks!

Final Booth Pic.jpg

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sorry about the malformed URL -- I was typing on my iPad which makes numerous mistakes. (It's not me at all).

There are a lot of photographers selling canvas wraps. It's not a new phenomenon, but it is new to many patrons, who comment on how much they look like paintings. As Larry says, the term "giclee" is misused by many to refer to photographs or reproductions of originals printed on canvas, when really "giclee" means any inkjet print. Some shows say "giclee" when they really mean "canvas wraps". Whatever.

They are starting to have a cheap connotation at many shows, since they are less expensive to produce than a comparable matted and framed piece. There are several photographers on the circuit that can sell a large canvas wrap for less than you can purchase it from a supplier, and as a consequence, the public expects them to be inexpensive. This makes it tough if your price point is high. Expect to do some bargaining.

Metal prints are still unique to many venues. You will find that offering several styles of framing -- matted, framed, canvas, metal -- in one booth, may give patrons too many choices. It's usually much better to stick to one or two consistent styles of presentation, as it tends to look more professional, and makes it easier for the customer to choose something.

• I know many people love their iPads, but I hate mine for that very reason - it makes so many mistakes! ;)

You have all answered my questions very well once again. Many thanks.

I guess it's time for me to just jump in with both feet and start learning by trial and error. I think I've avoided as many pitfalls as I can for the time being. It will definitely be a work, and learning experience, in progress.

• As a photographer, let me chime in here as well, and say that I have gotten into many good shows with a shot very similar to yours, Renee. While I agree with both Larry and David, the fine tweaks will matter more with the very very good shows, like Gasparilla or Winter Park, or Main Street Fort Worth.

I have shown both black and white and color in a booth shot, although i don't anymore. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I would not recommend showing a mixed body of work in jury slides as it will just confuse the jury. Having it in the booth as you show it here will send a signal that you plan to have some hanging, and that's not all bad. But juries look for several things, especially in photography: consistency and originality of vision, technical execution, and creativity. Images that show a singular train of thought will stand a better chance of winning over a jury. Cliches like Tuscany, doors with flowers, national park landscapes and waterfalls are a tough sell. A booth showing only canvas wraps is also a tougher sell. The Original Ann Arbor show, Under the Oaks in Vero Beach are just two shows that I know that do not allow "giclees". However, there are just as many shows that do: Bayou City, Coconut Grove are two.

Your booth slide is fine for a beginning. In that, I agree with Barry. Use it, work on consistency and vision in your individual images. Use the booth shot to support the ideas that you have a professional looking display, and a body of work that represents your overall vision. You will be shooting another one as your work matures and changes.

Some shows do not like to see Photoshopped booths. If you strip your images into blank holes, be absolutely sure that it looks real, with no stretching artifacts, sloppy masking or light sources from the wrong angle. That will bounce your application in most instances. That said, a real booth with flaws stands as good a chance of getting you into shows as a super slick "studio" shot. I should know. I've done it both ways. I actually prefer to work with a live booth, and clean it up later. Shooting it as an HDR stack can be helpful if you don't go overboard tone mapping it.

I've seen your work on Facebook. I like it. You have talent and a good eye. If you can translate that into well executed prints and framed work for shows, you will do fine. However, be prepared for a lot of competition in the landscape arena. It's the easiest way to break into shows, and there are lots of photographers with similar work. To get a sense for top quality, original work, look at this years photographers in the Lakeshore Festival.

http://loa.mam.org

Analyzing what you are doing is a trait that most photographers share. Spend some time making sure that your booth slide and jury slides are supported by your statement. If you can characterize your work as unique and special using all three of those tools, you will be fine. I would argue that the statement is just as important as the booth slide in presenting your brand. But that's another discussion.

Jim Parker
  • Again, thanks everyone for the feedback! It helps so much. I do have a couple more questions:

If you look at my before and after booth pics you'll see I took 4 images off the back wall in Photoshop and moved the bottom ones up. It sounds like I still have too many images, but I just don't think I'll be able to cleanly remove photos off the side walls in Photoshop. I really, really don't want to set everything up again and re-shoot if I don't have to, but I will. So my question is - do you think it is that important to remove images before submitting any applications? Or can I wait until I do a show and shoot the booth then with fewer images on the walls?

My second question is concerning my black and whites. I did hesitate to use them because they are, well, B&W. However, what you see is what I have. I'm just getting started and I don't have any more inventory at all of any kind. Also, I have done a few very small local shows and sold a bit online and my B&Ws generate the most interest so far. So I hate to leave them completely out of my booth shot since I would like to include them at the shows. Plus I was going to use one or more of them for my jury image pieces. Larry seemed to indicate that it might be okay to mix the color and B&W images in the booth as long as I cover an entire wall either one - but, I don't have enough B&Ws printed right now to cover an entire wall with them.

IS it okay to mix color and B&W as I have, or should I just start over?

Suggestions on how to proceed at this time, please!

• Juries look at 100’s of artists in the span of only a few hours. As long as your booth image is clean and professional looking (which yours is), they’ll look at it for 2 seconds and move on. If a jury likes your work this booth shot will not keep you out of a show. And If they don’t like your work it’s not going to get you in.  So relax and don’t sweat the minutiae.

I’ve heard stories of shows that walk around matching booth shots with booth setups but I’ve never actually seen it done.  At the vast majority of shows,  as long as you set up a professional looking booth containing the same style of artwork that you juried in with,  it’s not going to matter if you have 2 browse bins and your booth shot shows only 1 or your booth shot shows 3 b&w’s but you display 5.  However, if you’re going to hang both color and b&w then your booth shot should show both.

As a photographer who shoots booths for other artists and as one who has sat on juries, I’ve seen hundreds of booth images and this is not one to worry about. This shot is just fine to begin applying to shows. You’ll update it as your booth evolves — which it will. (Although showing a browse bin if you plan to have them would be a good idea.)

Barry Vangrov

BarryVangrovPhotography.com

• Awesome. That is exactly what I needed to hear. Since I am brand new in the business I do tend to stress a bit over every detail.  But I know no one in this business and have no experience to draw from, and therefore have nowhere to gather information but here. Sometimes the messages seem mixed to me, which makes it tough.

Anyway, I now feel comfortable enough to proceed. Thank you!

(My daughter was right. She told me I was over-analyzing. Again.)  :)

• 981300821?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Is this better?

• This is so clean and excellent exposure, Renee. What a good job.

The only other thing I would do is not to show so many images. Say, second panel on the left to remove the bottom one and on the third one also. Remove the bottom one in the middle on the back wall and maybe the small one on the right hand side. The shot does not have to look exactly like how it will appear at the show. The shot is to get you into the show.

• So, I just asked my husband who spent many years exhibiting photography at the shows. His suggestions were to take out the black and white images so that everything matches. Also to remove all the images on the middle panels on each side and replace them with two large pieces.

This reply was deleted.