Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

Monthly fees, bank service fees, percentage of sales fees, equipment fees, new qualification fees...you name it we can get socked with fees. I use a seasonal account for when I do art shows. Offering credit card options definitely makes a difference in sales. Is there a credit card server, anyone knows of, where rates aren't eatting up our profits?

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has anyone tried the Intuit Go Payment system that works with your cell phone? It costs $19.95 per month with no cancellation fees or contracts...You can either key the credit card info into the phone or buy the optional Blu Tooth swiper for like $175.00. I just go an email about this and was wondering if anyone is using it yet????
A suggestion I've made to several people is to check with your primary local bank before going with one of the "outside" firms. I joined one such firm and paid them $99 to set up my account. After several phone calls, I never received everything I needed and missed some sales at a show because of it. I was talking with a local BB&T branch manager and mentioned my problem. She picked up the phone and called their merchant services dept. I'd already looked at their published rates and wasn't interested in them, but the merchant services representative told me they could waive some of the fees "because I was a BB & T regular customer". I ended up with no monthly fee, a relatively small setup fee, and good transaction fees.

The main thing I learned from this is that published fees are not set in stone! If you have a business account with a bank, talk to them first about credit card processing.
That's exactly what I did when I started out taking cards. But back then we had to take the receipts to the bank and deposit them, wait a week, and get our money minus 12%.
But that was in 1984. When I got my first terminal (Tranz 420) I again went to my local bank and got an excellent package. The discount rates were very competitive and I could get any supplies I needed for the terminal at no cost. I just called "Judy at the bank", told her what I needed and it was courriered to the local branch for my pickup. And if I had any problems with the account, Judy was right there to answer any questions or solve the problems. In person if necessary.
I have used the Intuit system the last two shows I did...I got a great as far as monthly fees etc. I use it with an I-Phone...it does take a few minutes to get the info keyed in, but has worked like a charm. I really wanted the Blu-tooth swiper that also produces a receipt...unfortunately it does not yet interface with the I-Phone. I will be doing my first 2 day show next month, so we will see how it does for that.

Jill Beninato said:
Has anyone tried the Intuit Go Payment system that works with your cell phone? It costs $19.95 per month with no cancellation fees or contracts...You can either key the credit card info into the phone or buy the optional Blu Tooth swiper for like $175.00. I just go an email about this and was wondering if anyone is using it yet????

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the our latest Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

Video Website Reviews

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service