"Box" for generator

I just purchased a Honda 2000ei generator to power a portable air conditioner for my tent. (Should I mention that I do shows in Florida?). I've seen generators used with a three-sided baffled box. . .but I'm not sure of its benefits--noise reduction? exhaust control?-- or whether these are commercially available. Any suggestions?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the comments, crew. The intent of my original post was to be gain information that would me help me to be responsible for using a portable generator safely appropriately, since I was finding precious little information elsewhere.

I'm grateful for the information provided, and yet I'm frustrated (through no fault of the bloggers) that there aren't more guidelines provided about generator safety at art shows...IF (to Charlene's point) they are allowed to be used at all. Manufacturer, and even CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) literature on the subject of portable generators discusses their safety in a home-use environment...which isn't quite the same as an art show, where you have neighbors and (depending on your tent location) the possibility of people milling about near the generator, even if you move it 20-30 feet or more from the back of one's tent.

I had not thought of the idea of taking a CO detector with me. I'm not sure how that would work, but I'm certainly going to check that out. If I can't do this safely, I'm not going to do it at all.
  • I'd love to see that in action sometime. The heat really gets to us and sometimes fans just don't do the trick. The refrigerator sounds like a neat idea, too. I've often thought about getting a big inverter for a microwave but that might be a bit much.

Geoff Coe said:
    @Bill: The tents I've seen using A/C just leave the front open for customers, as usual. So I don't expect to get the temp down to 75, but it will still be less humid, somewhat cooler, and much more comfortable than without.
    The foamcore device you mention sounds much like what I've seen at shows. . .I'm just not sure, yet, what the "specs" need to be for safe operation.
    @Dave: Thanks for the Camping World idea...I'll check that out!

As for noise, it's true that SOME shows say, "no generators". But the three promoters I do shows with most often said it's no problem as long as they're not too noisy or exhaust-ridden. One of the folks I talked with last season about it said that they've always been able to position their unit so it generates only electricity, not complaints. But it sure couldn't hurt if I offered to store water and snacks in my fridge, and invited them to come in for a cool-off anytime they need one. ;-)
  • Actually the only thing that prevents neighbors from complaining is to give them some electricity to plug in their fans. When I used a generator for lights at shows that ran late, I made sure all my neighbors had a few lights also.

>But it sure couldn't hurt if I offered to store water and snacks in my fridge, and invited them to come in for a cool-off anytime they need one. ;-)

Larry Berman
    Digital Jury Services
    http://BermanGraphics.com
    Test Your Jury Images and Presentation
    http://JuryImages.com
    412-767-8644
  • @Bill: The tents I've seen using A/C just leave the front open for customers, as usual. So I don't expect to get the temp down to 75, but it will still be less humid, somewhat cooler, and much more comfortable than without.
    The foamcore device you mention sounds much like what I've seen at shows. . .I'm just not sure, yet, what the "specs" need to be for safe operation.
    @Dave: Thanks for the Camping World idea...I'll check that out!

As for noise, it's true that SOME shows say, "no generators". But the three promoters I do shows with most often said it's no problem as long as they're not too noisy or exhaust-ridden. One of the folks I talked with last season about it said that they've always been able to position their unit so it generates only electricity, not complaints. But it sure couldn't hurt if I offered to store water and snacks in my fridge, and invited them to come in for a cool-off anytime they need one. ;-)
  • How are you rigging the A/C in your tent? I would love to be able to do that and still have it open for customers. Perhaps you can put clear plastic strips on the front of your tents like they use for refrigerated warehouse doors that fork lifts can drive through.

We have held off getting a generator because many shows prohibit them or neighbors complain about fumes and noise. I have seen home made covers using materials such as foamcore with a frame made from wood strips.

Bill S.
  • I'm not sure about the box, but I saw something on TV last night that you may want to consider. Camping World sells an exhaust system for generators that is basically a tall exhaust stack. It's designed for motorhomes to keep the exhaust from going into a neighbor's camper. Same would apply for tents. Forcing the exhaust up would keep it from inside your booth and your neighbor's booths. The same system probably wouldn't work with a tent type booth, but it may be able to be modified.
This reply was deleted.