I Paul, You don't know me but I applied to Midtown Festival of The Arts for 2011 only to find out the show was cancelled. I have spoken to several people about a refund that were involved in this show,and they all just pass the blame. I called Zapp about this as well. The President for 2010 was Leslie Johnson ( his # 678-592-0679) leslie@lesliejohnson.name.  Zapp gave me this email  visualarts@mfota.org for their contact.  Also Nicholas Wolaver was involved 404-832-6353 & Cell # 404-643-6873 nicholas.wolaver@edelman.com    I just spoke with Cynthia at 770-378-1412 which she said that she has not been involved for 2 yrs, But she did say that Midtown Festival of the Arts would not be happening this year ( 2012 ) due to financing and the economy.She said that it would be back on in 2013. I just want my refund for something that did not happen in the first place. PLEASE pass all this info along to other Artists .Did anyone get their money back and do you know anyone to contact for a refund?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Reading all the posts, and no one has asked this, so I will: Is the organization running the show for 2013 the same one as the one who defaulted in 2011?  I am not a lawyer (ask anyone who knows me!!) but it seems to me that if they are different corporations (whether for-profit or 501c(3)), there would be no recourse for recouping fees.  If I am right about this, then an offer of space in the 2013 show seems like a reasonable offer. 

Neither am I an accountant, but I think there is a 2011 tax deduction for this kind of thing, too.  Check with your accountant.  And good luck!  I know I'm being maddeningly practical, but I do agree with everyone that this sucks. 

• I applied and am fairly certain my jury fee was refunded.  

• Great news! That is the right thing to do.

• I wonder if Zapp got paid or if they made sure to get their fee out of the money sent in by artists.

The situation stinks as once again it is the artists that take it on the chin.  Guess they are just supposed to be happy that it doesn't happen more often??

• This was an email I got from someone else. I like probably 500 other artists lost the jury fee to a show that never happened. I am surprised to see that folks got stiffed on the booth fees!  

• No, people did not get stiffed on the booth fees. This thread is about the jury fees.

• You also could file complaints with the Better Business Bureau and the state attorney general consumer affairs division. There probably are complaint forms online.
  • Connie, will having a show in 2013 refund the entrance fees for a show that was never held? Or are they going to do the right thing and allow those who paid for a show that didn't take place use the fees already paid?

• As I understand it, Paul, all artists accepted for 2011 are being invited to 2013. Now you have as much info as I do.

• This still seems very unfair, it's bad enough when shows want booth fees 6-9 months in advance.  To hold their fees for 2 + years (not sure how far in advance the fee was submitted) seems like someone is taking advantage of the artist.

This reply was deleted.