Artist Statement

Okay in doing some reading on the web, I read that an Artist Statement is essential and often required if you hope to show your art in galleries or other venues. Just curious if anyone else has written one, as well, I have taken the time to write one and would love everyone's feedback on my Artist Statement. Here's my statement below:

Scott Pack - Artist Statement

I must admit that I have never been one to fully grasp abstract art. I do not wish to criticize other mediums or styles of art, nor those artists that create these pieces of art work. For me personally, when I walk up to a piece of artwork I want to immediately recognize what the work’s subject matter is about.  Thus the reason my art’s subject matter is easily recognizable without the need to ponder or contemplate what exactly it is or what vision or message the artist is trying to convey to the viewer. Thus, my reason to create my artwork in a realism style.

My Work

When my youngest son Tyler first asked me to assist him with photographing a wedding I was more than happy to help. I purchased my first digital SLR camera kit and from that point on I fell in love with photography. As my subject matter progressed from weddings to other subjects, I began to feel there was something missing. Although my talents in painting could consist of creating paintings using a paint-by-numbers kit, I longed to create artwork that looked like paintings. Considering my only talents at the time consisted of skills with computers and my love of photography, I began to research ways to combine both talents and stumbled upon digital painting.

Although there are some critics that will say that a digital painting is not actually a true form of painting, I would beg to differ. Art as a whole has progressed over time using many different mediums and techniques. Cavemen used berries and other pigments and painted using their hands. Eventually art progressed to using brushes and oil paints. To me, art is art regardless of how it is created. As we are in a developing but highly technical society, why should paintings be delegated to old world techniques? Some may go as far to say that using photographs as a basis of my digital paintings is wrong. I beg to differ here as well because many well-known artists have used photographs as a basis for their final works. Norman Rockwell, for example, used photographs with posed models to create many of his works of art. And in my vain attempt to capture the world as it exists around us, I too use my photographs as a basis of my digital paintings.

And as I first stated I find the need to create my artwork using easily recognizable subjects and tend to avoid abstract works.

My Vision

Through my work I hope to invoke a sense of nostalgia. A euphoric journey for those viewing my work that brings out that awe and inspiration. My love of the artists that have preceded me, such as Norma Rockwell’s ability to capture the very essence of everyday life, or Theodore Rousseau’s ability to capture nature’s beautiful architecture inspire me in my own creations. To emulate the past’s great artists while placing my own spin is my vision and goal in creating my own creations.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wondering how I display my artist statement AND picture which is required to be seen in tent during show! I have used one for applying to shows but never been asked to display one with my pic. Was thinking of placing it in plexiglass stand up on card stock? This required for arti graw in FL which is first time for me and which I'll provide a review . Thanks patty
    • Patty...I have done several shows that require an artist statement/photo...so I printed my artist statement and photo on a 8x11" piece of paper and had it laminated in plastic at Office Depot. I then used a hole punch and use tie wraps to secure it to the tent pole. works just fine and it has been holding up for several years.

• I wouldn't consider a 100 or 200 character description an Artist Statement. Those lengths are the criteria zapplication uses for "Description of Material & Technique" when we apply to shows and each application has one. That's not an Artist Statement at all.

Here's our 100 character or less "Description of Material & Technique" we used for our applications to Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival, Gulf Breeze Celebrates the Arts, & LeMoyne Chain of Parks, all zapp shows: Finely detailed Imaginative Realism soft pastel & pastel pencil presented in handcrafted frames.

• An artist statement for a jury is so limited because of the restriction of the number of characters. How do you convey what is in you heart and mind with 200 characters or less? ... and in some cases 100 characters or less.

It is easier to convey your statement for non-juried use but it cannot be so long that many people will not read it.

• It's o.k. to feel the way you do about abstract art, but I don't think it's necessary to say it IN YOUR artist statement. Rather than critique what else you've written, you might want to read what some pros have said about how to write an artist statement and then rewrite yours. You've said some good stuff in this one, but probably too much that's unnecessary. Once you've redone it, I hope you'll post it so we can read it.

Here's a helpful article on Alan Bamberger's site....

http://www.artbusiness.com/artstate.html

NOW....Here's my artist statement. I'll always reevaluate it and revise it......

Barrie Lynn Bryant, Picture Frame Maker

I am a collaborator at heart, and my approach to picture frame designing and making is to collaborate with artwork. I strive to establish a relationship between an artwork and picture frame, and I prefer to create frames that relate to the artworks they present and that are a part of the total art product rather than just as separate vehicles to get artworks on the wall and seen.

I like to brave new territory. That’s more an artistic endeavor for me. I love the opportunity to create shaped frames and frames that consist of an unexpected combination of and use of materials. Borrowing from history is more a chance for revival than replication, and I don’t like to make new frames look like old ones.

I’ve recently discovered gouge-carving and it’s a most intriguing addition to my frame-making skills. I am decorating the surface with free-form and organic shapes that interplay with one another. I will most certainly be producing many more gouge-carved frames in the future.

• Scott, as the cliche goes "less is more". One of the most refreshing Statements I've seen read "I make paintings for sale." Many are put off by the artistic gobbledygook posing as Artist Statements, so, something brief about influences and/or materials works well.

T

• Don't get your artist statement for any use other than jurying mixed up with artist statement used for art show applications.

I feel that your artist statement should talk about what makes your artwork different from other artists in the same medium, along with a more straight forward description of technique.

Condensing your statement for art show applications, you need to do a not more than 100 and a not more than 200 character versions. Characters include spaces.

Larry Berman
    http://BermanGraphics.com
    412-401-8100

• I wrote and rewrote mine several times. The people that started Zapp published an article about writing statements but there are probably more recent ones on line. I would also read others at art shows for information. Mine is on my website: www.sherersaddlesinc.com. I sort of settled on a format of history/ training/vision.
This reply was deleted.