Replies

• I just signed up with them. I've been in sales and marketing for most of my career except for a stint in education at the end. But I was still selling the boss on buying equipment and such for the school, so I guess I never really left sales.

The thing is when I retired I thought I'd like to help artists with their websites. I ended up working with an art supply company for about 4+ years and then decided I wanted to do my own thing. During that 4+ years, though, I studied everything I could get my hands on about online sales and marketing from some of the top people. I spent a ton of money taking courses and had the perfect "lab" in the company I was associated with. Everything I learned turned out to work. Don't get me wrong, we didn't become millionaires or anything. I learned that marketing is a long-term discipline but it ain't rocket science.

Sorry for the "windy" intro, but the point is when I heard ASF's pitch I knew THEY knew what they were talking about. PLUS, it's apparent there is a LOT of money behind them. The owner is a serial entrepreneur which means, on the upside, he knows what he's talking about. On the downside, it's possible he's just trying to build a business he'll sell and be gone. If that happens, I'm not so sure anyone who buys them would have the same commitment to artists he has.

I can tell you this...it is VERY tech-heavy. I've attended a number of workshops and some of the questions people ask show their struggles with getting everything to work. But...they do have the DFY option...they will build your website, and do the marketing for you, etc.

For me, it was a no-brainer! Now I know exactly what I have to do and, more importantly, how to do it. Yes, it's expensive to sign up and have them take a cut of sales. But...the cut is SIGNIFICANTLY less than you'll pay a gallery who probably won't push your work anyhow. The big thing is you get technical support (both technology and marketing) as long as you're hooked up with them. To me, that's worth it.

I also like the fact you can sell prints. They are hooked up with a lab that looks like they know what they are doing. The products you can sell make Fine Art America look like pikers. (I've seen some of FAA's products and they ain't that impressive.)

Here's the thing...and why I'm here tonight typing this. ASF is VERY BIG on art fairs! Even more so than websites because AFs are an opportunity to meet your public upfront and personal. The KEY is to use the AF to build a mailing list. (You are building a mailing list, right? (I didn't think so -- just kidding -- most artists don't -- at least the ones I've seen at art fairs.) They show you how to do it. I can see art fairs are something I need to get more involved in. Being a geek by nature, I figured I could do it on a computer, but that's not as effective as art fairs. And besides, you can hire someone to do all that techy stuff once the dough comes rolling in.

Long and short...I am excited to be working with them.

Hope that helps!

• I know some photographers that are using the service and they like it. My problem with them is the car shark sales men you talk to when your trying to get direct info. I get a different price amount each time I call. Everything is all cart or closer 2000 for set up then the monthly fee. They get a cut on everything including originals. 

The upside is the marketing prompts they send you. Im still trying to figure out a better way to go. I think I found it with Go Daddy with a link to FAA for print sales. They seem more upfront even there design service.

My 2 cents.

• I don't have any experience with this company, but they send me multiple emails a day.  I was curious about them, and thought this was a good review.  https://theabundantartist.com/artstorefronts-com-review-done-print-...

It seems they are a Print on Demand service, and they will set up your website and interfaces.  They charge a set up fee of $ 500 (at the time of the review) then charge $29-59/mth.  

The reviewer said the service is best suited for a more established artist with some business and tech experience.  There is a lot of technical things you will need to set up on your own, and I think you will need to have some kind of established clientele already.

Hope this helps!

This reply was deleted.