Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals
This just in from Greg Belz in Memphis:
2020 Melbourne Art Festival in Wickham Park Canceled
Melbourne, FL - The 2020 Melbourne Art Festival has been canceled. Originally scheduled for the end of April, the event was forced to cancel when Brevard County announced the closure of parks and other facilities to public events until at least May.
The only show that I know of that nobody seems to have heard from is the spring Cottonwood show that takes place the first week in May. I get it they are waiting for the last minute to decide, hoping for a miracle. Still, I would like to know before the last minute. The show is 5 weeks away. Most of the banter from artists is being assured that we will get our booth fees back if they cancel. Plus, the way things are, if they decide to have the show or deviate in any way, that artists should be able to cancel with full refund.
I just received a cancellation of my room at the Hyatt in Reston Virginia which I did NOT initiate. When I called the Hyatt, they told me that the event (Northern Virginia Fine Art Festival) has been cancelled. I have sent an email to the director for more information. Has this happened to anyone else?
Have you heard anything more?
I have been updating the Art Fair Calendar with cancelations and postponements. Please feel free to look around in there for cancelations. If the show is planning to take place at a later date I have written postponed. If I know the new date I will indicate that by writing postponed to October or whatever other month they have chosen and I have reposted the show down in their new show dates. I will continue to check the shows to see if they are eventually canceled.
The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Fest has postponed till Fall. As of right now, no new dates have been chosen. I suppose it is hard to find two open weekends that your event can just plug into with short notice.
OMG. First the Kentucky Derby and now the Jazz Fest, the Tokyo Olympics ... When/if we get this under control the fall is going to be crazy in the event business.
4 Bridges in Chattanooga postponed to Sept. 3-5
Regarding Northern Virginia Fine Art Festival in Reston Virginia. This is an edited portion of the email sent by the director:
The safety and success of our artists and anyone who is a part of our Festival experience is our top priority. In light of the most recent guidance from the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), discouraging large public events (at least through mid-May), we’ve decided to reschedule the 2020 Northern Virginia Fine Arts Festival to September 11-13, 2020.
1. We are adapting the times you may withdraw and obtain a full refund so you can assess your schedule. no later than May 15 if you wish to withdraw from the show. If you withdraw between now and May 15, we will fully refund your booth fee and, recognizing the unprecedented nature of this situation, we will not retain any processing fees.
Elmhurst (IL) Art in Wilder Park just cancelled moments ago - 5/2-5/3. They are offering 50% of booth fee refunds. I find that to be disappointing to say the least, and will be asking the promoter more about this....
More like unacceptable.