Art Fair Insiders

Call for Artists, Making Money at Juried Art Fairs, Craft Shows and Festivals

Winter Park just canceled. As the info comes in about refunding booth fees, I will post that when I know it. Or, someone else can if they get the word before I do.

Views: 13005

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry to say that the Palmer Park Art Fair is canceled for this year.  We will do an emerging artist fair later this summer- date to be determined.  We are also doing a virtual display with an enlarged poster of a piece of art for each of our artists, which includes contact information.  We are exploring a fundraiser for extra money for artists.  In the meantime, every artist gets a full refund which may be by check, or may be applied to another one of our shows.  

Our online Artist Career Series is continuing with Selling Online and Photographing Your Work sessions this week- Integrityshows.com

I feel a stab in my heart for each of these announcements, Mark. So sorry to hear about this. An interesting email I received today was from an artist who had had all of her shows cancelled for the Spring, but took it in stride and stated that on the bright side, she'd elected to not receive any refunds and all her 2021 shows were already paid for. That works for some artists, of course not all.

Thanks for all you are doing to keep art fair life alive and well.

American Artisan Festival in Nashville just cancelled, a great Father's Day weekend show.

Art in the Village, in Winnetka, IL just cancelled its show (mid-June). It was to be my first year there; they are refunding all booth fees and say they want artists back for 2021...but it seems it's not a guarantee for a space (may have to apply anew). I think that is okay.

Additionally, the Millennium Art Festival in Chicago has been rescheduled - was scheduled for June, it's now moved to September 18-20 with the option of artists withdrawing if the date doesn't work - or "for any reason". Full refunds offered with Amdur shows in general, I believe.

Another Amdur show - Glencoe, in July - may be moved to October; which is a dicey month weather-wise in Chicago but would fill a gap (there aren't many shows normally in October). I'm assuming if there are more Amdur shows that are moved/cancelled, they will honor the full booth refund policy they sent to artists a few weeks back.

This just in from BAM (Bellevue Art Museum) Show in July. 

What a great organization.:

"

n reaction to ever-changing national and regional context of the current health emergency, the BAM Fair Team has been trying to respond in real-time to our artists requests regarding moving participation to 2021, refund policies and booth changes.

In an effort to make your options clearer moving forward, please see our updated policies below. The biggest change from our last communication is that we are now allowing artists to move their participation to 2021 effective today (See Option #1).

BAM is busy planning for the 2020 BAM Arts Fair, but we understand some artists would feel more comfortable moving their participation to 2021.

Option #1 - Move Participation to 2021 – (beginning April 22, 2020)

• Artists can move their participation to the 2021 BAM Arts Fair, scheduled for July 23 – 25 2021.  
  • Artists will get priority for booth placement in 2021.
  • All booth fees from this year will be applied to next year's fees and you will have no fees associated with next year’s fair.
  • Artists do not have to go through the jury process in 2021.
  • Artists will receive a two-year Artist Membership to Bellevue Arts Museum which will provide visibility on BAM’s website for two years. 

Option #2 - Full Booth Fee Refund (beginning June 15, 2020)

• In the event that we are forced by state or local government to cancel the 2020 BAM Arts Fair, artists may opt for a full refund.
  • Artist will be sent full refunds (minus any credit card processing fees) by the end of December 2020.
  • To be included in the 2021 BAM Arts Fair, artists taking this option would have to go through the jury process again.

Option #3 - 75% Refund – (cancellation by May 8, 2020)

• Artists can cancel their participation completely by May 8, 2020 and receive a 75% refund.
  • Refunds will be received within 60 days.
  • To be included in the 2021 BAM Arts Fair, artists taking this option would have to go through the jury process again.

"

This is great! A full out letting you know their plans. So helpful. Thanks for sharing.

It is great that shows are putting accepted artists into the shows next year. But it presents a real problem for scheduling next year for artists who either didn't apply or were waitlisted or whatever. You know what I mean, I bet. We were waitlisted for Milwaukee, and so we'll be waitlisted for next year. We were invited off the waitlist for Brookside in Kansas City, but a few days after it we decided it best not to pay the booth fee since we were not sure how COVID-19 would affect things. So our status got marked to DECLINED for that one. Donna Potts is arguably one of the BEST DIRECTORS in this business for so many reasons. I need to contact her and ask about this for next year. Anyway, 2021 will really be interesting with all that's happening now.

Here's another thoughtful cancellation letter from Rose Squared. Howard & Janet Rose are the best and they really get it. I know this is just as difficult on many promoters as it is on the artists, but they are putting the artists first!

With your health and well being uppermost in our minds, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the Spring Brookdale Fine Art and Craft show scheduled for June 20-21. 
For the past week or so, we have been seeing the decisions to cancel events such as the entire Lincoln Center summer performance schedule, The Public Theater's Summer programs at The Delacorte in Central Park, Jacob's Pillow in the Berkshires, and the list, sadly, goes on and on.
We feel for all of you and want to get the monies to you immediately. If you paid deposits via "square," your refunds will go out tonight and tomorrow. If you paid the deposit (or full amount) by check, we will be mailing them out tomorrow. We wanted to ease your burden now and not wait any longer to make what will be an inevitable decision by most of the upcoming shows for way too long to think about. 
Unfairly, too many show directors/promotors rescheduled their dates when you need the refunds now. Offering a credit to a future show is also not going to help you pay rent/mortgages or pay for food. If you have a situation where no refunds are being offered, consider contacting NAIA (carrollswayze@naiaartists.org). This arts organization has been sending letters to the promoters/directors asking them to reconsider their policy and offer refunds.
These are incredibly difficult and sad times for everyone. Our hearts break thinking about all of the struggle out there with finances or with the loss of family and friends. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing. 
Wishing you all strength to get through this. Stay safe and healthy!
Janet and Howard Rose
Rose Squared Productions, Inc.

I have never personally met the Roses but we've done some business together and I've always admired their stability, fairness and kindness and good business sense. Thanks for sharing this, John. 

The more I see these kinds of replies it reaffirms to me what I've always told my friends on the outside of this business, it is a great place to work, full of kind and generous people. We take care of each other.

Don't miss this article that details how Bayou City Art Festival was able to send all artists $1500 after the cancellation: https://houston.culturemap.com/news/arts/04-22-20-bayou-city-arts-f...

Allentown Art Festival in Buffalo, NY, cancelled: https://www.buffalorising.com/2020/04/the-allentown-art-festival-is...

Rose Squared Productions:

RSS

Fiber artists -- use this resource to find new buyers:  Advertise with Sweaterbabe.com. Reach over 60,000 fiber arts lovers.

Our 50 Best Art Fairs

Look Inside the our latest Art Fair Survey:
Who Won and Why

Join the MasterMinds Group for personalized coaching on your Internet Lifestyle Business! 

Video Website Reviews

60 Page Report - Best US Art Fairs

Click Here to
Learn More

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2021   Created by Connie Mettler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service