I’m thinking of setting up a page under my business name, just to list my schedule, news, maybe some photos of what I’m working on. Anyone do this?

I have not set up a webpage and am inclined not to. I don’t want to sell online, so I was think a blog or Facebook would be an easy alternative. (Right now, I’m so far behind: if it’s not easy, it’s not going to get done!)

It would be separate from my personal page. I would put the name on my cards and give them to customers. They could be a “fan”.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Although I was on facebook for a quite a while I only recently set up my Frame Destination fanpage. There two things I really like about it.
    1. It is great for SEO. Unlike personal pages the fan pages are open for Google to index so it is also a great way to get links back to your site and to the internal pages of your site. If you add a new gallery page showing new art you can do a quick post to Facebook where you talk about it and then link to it and Facebook will automatically scan the page for pics and insert a thumbnail of your choice automatically.
    2. It allows me to have more interaction with my customers. When a local customer comes by our business we can do things like give them a tour and they can see things going on inside the business. With facebook I can share pics, videos and stories to help our remote customers get to know us better.
    Of course this stuff takes time.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Frame Destination, Inc.
  • Thanks so much, Linda! It will take me a while to absorb all this and implement it. I CAN convert my images to bitmaps easily enough: thanks for telling me this might help.

I really appreciate your guidance. It's like having my own Facebook mentor! When I thought of doing this a few months ago, I had no clue how to go about it. But I was thinking in terms of the layout and features of a personal page. I can see the business page format is much more suited to what I want to put up there. What with deadlines and actual work (gasp! Do I need to make more stuff too?) this will take me a while. I will probably have more questions in the future.

Linda Anderson said:
    Hi Linnea,
    Glad you got going on fb. I've had an interesting couple of weeks. As I mentioned, I may be a tad different than most, as much of what I do is with tall ships & lighthouses, but bottom line I think every artist should be on facebook. In two weeks I have nearly 180 fans - and from what I've seen, once someone is a fan, most of their friends see they became a fan and they check out the site and they become fans too. Let's say for instance you have a customer that happens to own a business as well. Let's say he/she is your hairdresser. Become a fan of his business site. His customers notice you are a fan of his or he is a fan of yours..... they check you out and also become fans. Then they check out your website and find out they like your art as well. Instant new customer base. As their fan base grows, so does yours. Multiply that by the continual activity of both your sites add fans, then multiply that by another customer of yours that is on face book and do the same. I will say this however..... it really helps to have a regular website - even a simple free website (you can even use NING). I can barely keep up with the hits on my regular website. It was always fairly consistant, but I had to graduate to Google Statistics to keep track of it all.

I do keep my business page quite open, keeping my personal fb page limited. Thanks for the compliments, but don't get frustrated if it takes you a tad longer.... I've made several websites for myself in the past 8 years....some of them very complicated. FB is pretty user friendly.

Events - I just used the events template fb provides. Take the time to learn all of it's features however. Also, Ning and face book are quite similar in platform. If you end up using NING for your personal site, the information you enter in Ning Events can be transferred directly to your fb page by clicking on fb icon.

Yes, I have that copyright message all over my business face book page. I did put a copyright watermark on all my images. A couple of issues to keep in mind. Anyone at any time can copy your work. The resolution necessary for internet pictures is 72, but a photoshop wiz can work with that. Typically I recommend that those who can input their images as a bitmap file - .bmp as they are really not easy to reproduce in a printout - however they can use those images on the internet.

Again, I'm a bit different than most - I'm not too concerned with those that dare violate copyright laws. In my previous life as an engineer, I've held several patents and worked with those attorneys. I learned from them that if anyone unlawfully stole a patent (in my case now- a photo image), and you find out..... wait a bit before prosecuting. Once you bring a suit against a violator, your awarded judgement includes damages from profits that person made with your photo. He gets jail time, you get all funds (times x amount) he/she made on it. Golly - like having your own distributor ;-)

I have had one person "steal" my images. It happens more than most know. My best suggestion is to use a watermark, clearly state on your fb page the copyright laws, and deal with violators as they happen. Understand that is all you can do and don't loose sleep over it.

I think I addressed your concern... if not, just let me know. You can always call me and I can walk you through stuff if you need it. FB is an amazing marketing tool. Have fun!

I am so far behind in preparing for the crazy busy art fair season, but I'm extremely glad I took the time to do the facebook thing. Now it's all set up and working well. I finally understand all the ins & outs and will be able to quickly deal with it while I'm on the road this summer.

Oh, one more thing..... I just became a "friend" to your personal site. Once you have your business site done, make sure you list it in your personal section on the side under your fb photo. Also, become a fan of your own business page. You want people who look at your personal page to know you also have a business page. Nice job setting that up!

Linnea Lahlum said:
    Linda: I finally got the chance to check out your Facebook page. (darn deadlines keep getting in the way! ). It looks great. Hard to believe you set this up so professionally, so quickly! You have the show list nicely formatted. How did you do that? Or is it just the template that comes with Events? I guess I have never used events before.

I saw your copyright notice below your pictures. I wonder if this will be a problem? Since I have never had any web presence, I have not had to deal with this before. I will probably put a watermark on my images, as soon as I figure out how.

Another question: this could be for anyone:

“Be careful to go through all settings as some you will want to limit access to only having "friends" be able to view. Some areas you don't want "everyone" to see - make them become an approved friend first.”

Do you need to do this with a fan page? I have the security settings high on my personal page but don’t see how that would work for a business page. If I want to give this info to my customers I can’t be screening them all the time!
  • Lydia, when making a hyperlink, it is the same as here on artfairinsiders. After you type whatever message, use your curser to highlight the words that you want to use as your link.... then click on the link (or chain looking icon) at the top of the text box. That will bring up the page string area and type in your http site. ie: http://www.(use your link name here)
  • Thanks Linda, I have an artist page. Would you take a look and make a suggestion; http://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-2-Make-Jewelry/457053840211?ref=ts
    How did you create that nice hyper link to your page? and How do I put my page on my business card?
    Thanks,
    Lydia

Linda Anderson said:
    Artist page is great - or "other business" . I have found fb quite nice in that you can do whatever suits your needs.
    Once you have a personal page and a business page you should check out other pages to get the overall feel of how you want yours set up. Again, explore mine if you'd like as most references I will make will be based on how mine is set up.

The page that you will add friends is your personal page. This may take awhile to accumulate friends, but the best way is to search for people - at the top of your personal page there is a search box. Just type in some names of people you know. If they come up in the search, add as a friend - they will have to confirm that friendship and that may take an hour or a week, depending on how often they access their fb page.

The page that you will accumulate 'fans' is your business page (if it's set up correctly). Once you have some friends on your personal page - go to your business page. Your fb picture is on the top left of your business page. Directly under that is a link that says 'suggest to friends'. click that link and click on the friends pictures that you would like to add as 'fans'. Once they sign up to be a fan, a notice that they are fans of your business page will be posted on their 'wall' for all their friends to see. Friends of theirs will likely be interested, click on that and, yay, become a fan as well.

Best suggestion I can give is to totally explore other fb pages. Become a fan of something that interests you - an organization, etc. I am so great lakes/sea driven, that most of mine pertain to that. I'm a fan of many seaport museums and tall ship organizations etc. Find the niche that not only interests you, but one that will assist your business visability. Once you are a fan or friend of someone/someplace, anything that person/place posts on their 'wall' page will also be posted on your wall. Get involved with their posts, make a comment, or click the link 'like'. Check out their fans/friends list. Become a friend/fan of people on their list. Most important part of growing your page visability is becoming active in pages of others.
    Above all, don't feel threatened by it all. Sit back, enjoy and have fun with it. Approach it all with a 'this is kinda fun' attitude.
    Let me know if I can help. Good luck.

Lydia Morrison said:
    Linda, thanks for sharing. What type of page do you recommend making, maybe Artist? How do you get people to become a fan? and can you send out invites to people to become a fan?
    Thanks this really becomes quite confusing.
    Lydia

Linda Anderson said:
    Hi Linnea,
    Glad you got going on fb. I've had an interesting couple of weeks. As I mentioned, I may be a tad different than most, as much of what I do is with tall ships & lighthouses, but bottom line I think every artist should be on facebook. In two weeks I have nearly 180 fans - and from what I've seen, once someone is a fan, most of their friends see they became a fan and they check out the site and they become fans too. Let's say for instance you have a customer that happens to own a business as well. Let's say he/she is your hairdresser. Become a fan of his business site. His customers notice you are a fan of his or he is a fan of yours..... they check you out and also become fans. Then they check out your website and find out they like your art as well. Instant new customer base. As their fan base grows, so does yours. Multiply that by the continual activity of both your sites add fans, then multiply that by another customer of yours that is on face book and do the same. I will say this however..... it really helps to have a regular website - even a simple free website (you can even use NING). I can barely keep up with the hits on my regular website. It was always fairly consistant, but I had to graduate to Google Statistics to keep track of it all.

I do keep my business page quite open, keeping my personal fb page limited. Thanks for the compliments, but don't get frustrated if it takes you a tad longer.... I've made several websites for myself in the past 8 years....some of them very complicated. FB is pretty user friendly.

Events - I just used the events template fb provides. Take the time to learn all of it's features however. Also, Ning and face book are quite similar in platform. If you end up using NING for your personal site, the information you enter in Ning Events can be transferred directly to your fb page by clicking on fb icon.

Yes, I have that copyright message all over my business face book page. I did put a copyright watermark on all my images. A couple of issues to keep in mind. Anyone at any time can copy your work. The resolution necessary for internet pictures is 72, but a photoshop wiz can work with that. Typically I recommend that those who can input their images as a bitmap file - .bmp as they are really not easy to reproduce in a printout - however they can use those images on the internet.

Again, I'm a bit different than most - I'm not too concerned with those that dare violate copyright laws. In my previous life as an engineer, I've held several patents and worked with those attorneys. I learned from them that if anyone unlawfully stole a patent (in my case now- a photo image), and you find out..... wait a bit before prosecuting. Once you bring a suit against a violator, your awarded judgement includes damages from profits that person made with your photo. He gets jail time, you get all funds (times x amount) he/she made on it. Golly - like having your own distributor ;-)

I have had one person "steal" my images. It happens more than most know. My best suggestion is to use a watermark, clearly state on your fb page the copyright laws, and deal with violators as they happen. Understand that is all you can do and don't loose sleep over it.

I think I addressed your concern... if not, just let me know. You can always call me and I can walk you through stuff if you need it. FB is an amazing marketing tool. Have fun!

I am so far behind in preparing for the crazy busy art fair season, but I'm extremely glad I took the time to do the facebook thing. Now it's all set up and working well. I finally understand all the ins & outs and will be able to quickly deal with it while I'm on the road this summer.

Oh, one more thing..... I just became a "friend" to your personal site. Once you have your business site done, make sure you list it in your personal section on the side under your fb photo. Also, become a fan of your own business page. You want people who look at your personal page to know you also have a business page. Nice job setting that up!

Linnea Lahlum said:
    Linda: I finally got the chance to check out your Facebook page. (darn deadlines keep getting in the way! ). It looks great. Hard to believe you set this up so professionally, so quickly! You have the show list nicely formatted. How did you do that? Or is it just the template that comes with Events? I guess I have never used events before.

I saw your copyright notice below your pictures. I wonder if this will be a problem? Since I have never had any web presence, I have not had to deal with this before. I will probably put a watermark on my images, as soon as I figure out how.

“Be careful to go through all settings as some you will want to limit access to only having "friends" be able to view. Some areas you don't want "everyone" to see - make them become an approved friend first.”

Do you need to do this with a fan page? I have the security settings high on my personal page but don’t see how that would work for a business page. If I want to give this info to my customers I can’t be screening them all the time!
  • Artist page is great - or "other business" . I have found fb quite nice in that you can do whatever suits your needs.
    Once you have a personal page and a business page you should check out other pages to get the overall feel of how you want yours set up. Again, explore mine if you'd like as most references I will make will be based on how mine is set up.

The page that you will add friends is your personal page. This may take awhile to accumulate friends, but the best way is to search for people - at the top of your personal page there is a search box. Just type in some names of people you know. If they come up in the search, add as a friend - they will have to confirm that friendship and that may take an hour or a week, depending on how often they access their fb page.

The page that you will accumulate 'fans' is your business page (if it's set up correctly). Once you have some friends on your personal page - go to your business page. Your fb picture is on the top left of your business page. Directly under that is a link that says 'suggest to friends'. click that link and click on the friends pictures that you would like to add as 'fans'. Once they sign up to be a fan, a notice that they are fans of your business page will be posted on their 'wall' for all their friends to see. Friends of theirs will likely be interested, click on that and, yay, become a fan as well.

Best suggestion I can give is to totally explore other fb pages. Become a fan of something that interests you - an organization, etc. I am so great lakes/sea driven, that most of mine pertain to that. I'm a fan of many seaport museums and tall ship organizations etc. Find the niche that not only interests you, but one that will assist your business visability. Once you are a fan or friend of someone/someplace, anything that person/place posts on their 'wall' page will also be posted on your wall. Get involved with their posts, make a comment, or click the link 'like'. Check out their fans/friends list. Become a friend/fan of people on their list. Most important part of growing your page visability is becoming active in pages of others.
    Above all, don't feel threatened by it all. Sit back, enjoy and have fun with it. Approach it all with a 'this is kinda fun' attitude.
    Let me know if I can help. Good luck.

Lydia Morrison said:
    Linda, thanks for sharing. What type of page do you recommend making, maybe Artist? How do you get people to become a fan? and can you send out invites to people to become a fan?
    Lydia

Linda Anderson said:
    Hi Linnea,

Linnea Lahlum said:

• Linda, thanks for sharing. What type of page do you recommend making, maybe Artist? How do you get people to become a fan? and can you send out invites to people to become a fan?
    Lydia

Linda Anderson said:
    Hi Linnea,

Linnea Lahlum said:

• Hi Linnea,

Linnea Lahlum said:

• A lot can be learned via FB if you take the time to explore it. That is pretty much how I learned how to use it and make it (my pages) my own. As far as getting people to become friends or fans, it takes a bit of time, however the more you are able to connect with friends and family and then explore and join other groups the easier it is to get more people to find your page. Also advice people - through business cards or something along that line - to check out your facebook page and invite them to be a fan.
  • Linda: I finally got the chance to check out your Facebook page. (darn deadlines keep getting in the way! ). It looks great. Hard to believe you set this up so professionally, so quickly! You have the show list nicely formatted. How did you do that? Or is it just the template that comes with Events? I guess I have never used events before.

• Never mind: just found it!

Linnea Lahlum said:
    Here’s a question for you guys who have done it. When I try to set up a new account under my business name, it tells me that there is already an account with the same e-mail address. Do I have to have a separate e-mail address? I’d rather not. I do have another one but I never check it.

Linda : you said: First set up a personal face book page, then at the bottom someplace, add your business.

Where is that? I didn't see anything at the bottom.
This reply was deleted.