Hello! New here and would like to do actual art shows this year. This was a first year for me and I did craft shows. I did OK but I went into it knowing that at craft shows, most people are looking in the $5-$25 price range. I would love to get into some juried shows in Michigan (Ann Arbor Art Fair, Birmingham Community House, DAC) but have no clue as to where to go to get an application, what kind of slide show do I need, etc. Any information would be helpful and I will continue to read the discussion boards as there are great ideas here!! Thank you! www.fabbydolls.etsy.com

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jim,

Thank you once again for all your helpful information regarding photos, etc. I currently have most inventory in shops in Romeo and Shelby and I am embarking on making new dolls as we speak. I have been slowly reading/savoring information gleaned from different sites (blogs, websites, etc.) so that in 2011 I can become a "professional"! Not to say that I won't do some shows this year, but I will not do "craft" shows like the ones I started out with in 2009. I have also been experimenting with my own DIY lightbox and although I did not spend a lot of time that day experimenting, I posted the photos and you can see the difference. Please take a look and let me know what you think! I am sure if I had a "special" room where I could leave the set-up, set up, I could practice and get much better using different lights, backgrounds colors, etc. I am working on it!! Thank you again, you are very kind to spend so much time with your comments.

tina6.jpg

tinanew.jpg

• Hi,

Well for sure the slides/pictures must be the best you can take as this is what the jury sees and must judge on. I have not used the Zapplication site yet but those pictures have to be very good so maybe a pro or semi pro with good equipment and a good design eye would be helpful. As you spend time in this site you'll read from people that use Zapp and ask questions. The answers are very helpful also.

In the other sites I listed you would be applying directly to the show promoters. In the applications they will mention what kind of pictures (work, close-ups, booth, etc) and how many. I would think that for these shows you could get away with taking them yourself. I do. But they still need to be pretty good and clear. Nothing blurry or out of focus. Try to keep the background plain and simple. We use a black cloth draped from the table up the wall. But a white one would work good too. A single flash from the camera would probably not be too good. It will give harsh shadows. Try putting the doll on a little riser that's covered under the cloth on the table. A cardboard box works good.

It's a long winter here in Michigan so you'll have time to practice and get good photo's. Yes some of the big shows have deadlines fast approaching but there is still time to get in other shows not as big and expensive. If you're just starting out in the "art fair" circuit I would not spend the big $'s on pro pictures. Get in a few shows and see how you do then work the pro into the budget at a later time. All just my opinion though!!

Hope this helps somewhat.

Jim

Deena Maurus said:
    Jim, Thank you so much for your quite response! I truly appreciate it. I will visit the links you suggested. As far as the slides - what are they looking for? Can I do photos in my home or do I have to hire a professional photog (sounds expensive!). Thanks again, Deena
  • Jim, Thank you so much for your quite response! I truly appreciate it. I will visit the links you suggested. As far as the slides - what are they looking for? Can I do photos in my home or do I have to hire a professional photog (sounds expensive!). Thanks again, Deena
  • Hi Deena and welcome aboard,

There are a few places to start looking for juried shows here in Michigan. The first is www.artfaircalendar.com. It's a sister site of this site.

The next one will be the one to get you the application for Ann Arbor and others, too. It's www.zapplication.org. You'll need to register then you'll be able to look at all the shows that use this service and read their requirements.

Another one is a book put out by a guy named George Walker and his site is www.michigancraftshows.com. The name may say craft shows but he lists just about all the art fairs in Michigan. There is a fee for the book.

This is just a start but it should point you in the right direction. As you read the shows info it will list what is required to apply, how to apply, deadlines, fees, etc. I hope this helps.

Jim
This reply was deleted.