Amazon takes on Square

I just ran across an article on cnnmoney.com; Amazon is introducing Local Register, small businesses that sign up before october pay only 1.75% per swipe.  The reader will be credited $10 against first usage.

I have not had chance to look for further details, but they are definitely taking a run at Square, who to this point I've been quite happy with.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I wanted to start a thread on this but figured I would add to this one instead. I was at a show in October where Amazon had a booth and came and talked to all of the "vendors". We received a free reader and zero percent for the show on transactions. After that I get 1.75% until 2016!!! After 2016 i will pay 2.5%. If the card is not available only 2.75%. I did have problems setting up the account but the staff continued to help me and contacted tech support until it was a go. Because of my troubles they gave me a $20 gift card. I received my money next day, from Sunday sales, no problem. I usually have to wait until Tuesday from square for Sunday sales. I also talked to them about monies being held. I have run into problems with square when I have had back to back great shows and square held my mo its for 30 days. Amazon claims they don't do this. Who knows if they will or won't, but I will keep both accounts and for the next year run through Amazon for the rate of 1.75%. I have a link I will find for a free reader and the introductory rate.
  • I'm glad I stumbled across this I didn't realize Amazon created this new service. I have been looking for a Square replacement, since I had a bad experience with them this summer with a chargeback. They are holding $500 of my money because a customer was saying they didn't know what the charge is for (I have a feeling that someone duped us with a stolen credit card). I am doing some research but I didn't think it was the merchant that got dinged for that but the credit card company. I am livid someone made off with several of my framed prints which I will not get back and not sure if I will even get my $. Anyway, it was super frustrating not having someone to talk to and I will never work with a company that I cannot reach a human being when it comes to my money again.

• Don't waste your time with Amazon Local Register.  I wanted to take advantage of their promotional offer for 0% at a 5 day show in Tacoma.  Never could get it set up right with multiple calls to their customer service.  I was able to swipe cards at the show, but unable to transfer the money into my bank account due to their technical difficulties.  I'm a happy Square user and I don't recommend Amazon to anyone.  It was disappointing as all my other experiences with Amazon have been great.

• I saw it come out, and tried it.  I have YET to get my money from Amazon.  They put a 14-day hold on all transactions, but "after 100 transactions I won't have a hold."  That doesn't help my bills right now, does it?

Lower fee or not -- I'm going back to Square.  

• I have jo hold on my sales with Amazon...has worked flawlessly and deposits daily to my account
      • that should read... NO hold on any of my sales...

• I am wondering what Square is going to do with the new chip cards...  I imagine they will come up with something.  I get pretty much 90% of my sales using a credit card.  I get maybe one check per show if that and only very occasionally get cash.

• Here is the official info on EMVs from Square.

• Thanks Bill.

• Alison, The chip cards work now with square when you swipe them. I have tried it with my own card. However, Square said they are coming out with a new reader soon that allows inserting the card into the chip reader also. I would imagine the old style readers will eventually be phased out and not work anymore just as the older Square readers were phased out last year. I also read that the new chip card readers would not be free but would have a cost to get them.

This reply was deleted.