I just did a seazrch on this site for a color run and could not find anything about it.  Anyways, an artist that I know did a show this week end at St Petersburg Museum of Fine Arts Holiday Art Exhibition.   Evidently on Saturday there was a 5k Color Run.  On the race are hoops that spray out dyed corn starch that the runners go through.  In the photo that I saw of this it made like a low level pink fog. 

Well what happened is that this pink corn starch went everywhere for blocks.  It just blows in the breeze.   Covering tents, cars, product and everything..  Then if there is any humidity or dew it sticks to everything. 

At this time it is unknown if the show promotor had anything to do with the run or if this was something the Museum did and did not realize the mess it causes. 

I do not think that these can be very popular at all.  They have to be a disaster for the runners too.  Imagine having to run through this and breathe it in. 

Here is a photo take from next to the art show. 

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have been in Chicago in the past when the color run participants are getting on the subways and walking down the streets after the race.  I saw "color run" on the bib numbers but had no idea what one was until Nels posted about it.  I wondered how they got all colored up.  Probably most of the color washes away with the rain but I can see that the color would ruin art work.  That stuff shouldn't ever be run with an Art Show.

• There are many ways to have a color run without using this stuff and involving others around the event.  They could ask runners to dress in the most colorful costumes possible.  They could use colorful balloons or streamers. They could have had a tent at the finish line where people were "dusted" with color, while limiting its affect on those around them.  But, this?  I would think that anyone with a respiratory problem could be very adversely affected.  Have to wonder at people who come up with these ideas.

• I used to be a VERY serious marathoner back in the day (a.k.a. "Pleistocene epoch") and I can tell you these events are all the rage these days in some parts of the running community.  Getting splashed with color takes the idea of doing a trail run and coming to the finish line caked with mud, sweat, and blood and puts a more colorful twist on it.  Judging from the FAQs on the colorun.com website, the stuff used to create the color is reasonably safe (although I'll bet the waiver that participants have to sign tells a different story). 

Personally, I've got no issue with the events at all...as long as the stuff isn't toxic to people, not harmful to the environment, it's not damaging vehicles, art show tents, or personal property, if the organizers are communicating the event and attendant risks to participants and the public in the vicinity, and if the organizers are paying for the cleanup. 

That's a lot of hoops to jump through.  Stay tuned--should be a media story about this in the very near future. 

• I saw this story earlier too. I can't believe that the run organizers get away with what they do, getting color all over things in the vicinity of their event. I heard it was on cars, tree's, and many other things besides ruining an entire art fair. Utterly ridiculous and irresponsible. I think there should be legal action taken by the artists.
  • Folks, the website for the Color Run organizers is www.thecolorrun.com.  In particular, read its FAQ page, which discusses the impacts, short- and long-term, of the "colors" and a few tips on cleaning up after.  Not that ANY of that looks like it will work on tents or artwork.

• The oatmeal Propanels will be at the highest risk. The color is not likely to come out of white cotton Tees or shorts according to the info on their website. It sounds like if you're adjacent to this stuff, it would be advisable to drop your sides and zip up immediately and start packing up inside. I had enough problems cleaning everything after doing the Piccolo Spoleto show where there was a soft talcum-like black dust over everything from the bare dirt grounds around us that the wind kicked up. This stuff is being tossed in the air by the handsfull and it does leave a stain.

I shudder to think what would happen to a fabric artist in that situation.
  • If I were at a show where this color fog was getting all over my tent, displays and works, I would pack it all up and leave immediately.  I wouldn't worry about breaking the rules either.  This is the stupidest thing I have seen in years.  A color run next to an art fair?  What genius thought this up?   

• I've been at shows where a run took place next to it, but that entailed a few hours early in the morning affecting access. The video link makes it look more Woodstock taking place. Woodstock was cool but not much art was sold there and any art show next to that grand production of a color run isn't going to sell much either. I'm visualizing how much time would be needed to vacuum that crap out of the propanels, hosing down the tarps, and praying that gunk didn't filter its way inside framed artwork. It's not a pretty sight.
  • Along this same line and something to be aware of when doing shows in Colorado. I did a show the weekend that the High Park fire started 15 miles away from the show. Sunday morning ash and small soot particles were on everything having drifted in under tent walls. You had to be careful brushing, blowing it off your work. Our stuff had been covered with drop cloths to protect from rain. I felt sorry for artist who's work could be damaged by this stuff - paintings, fabrics, etc. Smoke all day Sunday was the next problem. I had to air stuff out for days to get rid of the odor. At least we didn't have to pack up and get out of Dodge on short notice. If you come to Colorado, watch the news and watch the weather reports. As we say here, " the mountains make their own weather" which can change in a few minutes. I have heard artists from back east scoff at the locals, because it was "a beautiful day" unaware of a wildfire less than a few mile from town. Enjoy the mountains but think and be safe.
  • I did this show. It was a disaster. Not just the pink powder covering everything, but every aspect of the show. The promotor David Frutco did not advertise the show whatsoever. He basically took our $350 entry fee and put it in his pocket. They blocked off the streets for the Color Run, so we couldn't get to our parking lot. Set-up and take-down were a joke.

Words cannot convey how bad this show was.

This reply was deleted.