Replies

• Just getting back to art fairs in the last two years, I would list my favorites as ones where they treat you well and are appreciative of you. Also close to home helps as its less costly to lose money if you don't have to go too far. (I'm Norwegian) College Hill Arts Festival in Cedar Falls IA. (Always Hot but COOL) Lakeville Art Festival in Lakeville MN. (Sweetheart of a show) and just returning to the scene is St Kates Art Fair in St.Paul MN after a few years out of the picture and thats a one day'er. (Artist run show) All smaller shows. I'm working on the list as I go or do fairs. These shows are not necessarily big money makers but they are fun.
  • My favorite show is Arts, Beats, and Eats. I grew up in the area, so, I see a lot of old friends and relatives. The show committee does a great job taking care of the artists. They feed us and they are always around. If there is a problem, they take care of it immediately. Sometimes the people can drive you crazy, but, I've always done well there. I stay with my brother, who lives at 16 mile and Woodward, so, getting to the show is a straight shot. We get free parking relatively close to our booths, which is always a biggie for me. There is a core of artists that do the show every year, so, it's really great getting together and having some fun.

It's funny reading these. Some peoples favorite shows are ones that I don't particularly like. I never liked Crosby. Stills, Nash, and Gardens(my name for it). Maybe it's because, at one time, we could intermingle and sample the goodies at the premier. Then they went to giving the artists a box lunch, which I thought was tacky, considering we ARE the attraction. I used to put on a suit and pretend I was a patron. No box lunch for me.
    • I remember being rather insulted by that also, at Crosby. They are having this fine party and then they tell the artists to stay away. But it is a lovely setting and I always liked doing art fairs in gardens.

Thanks so much for the comments about Arts, Beats & Eats. Lisa and I really try to do all we can to make everyone happy -- - short of buying lots from everyone. Me, I save all my art fair shopping for Arts, Beats & Eats.
  • This year will be my 4th at the Crosby Park Festival at the Toledo Botanical Gardens in late June. The first year I was nearly blown away on my way there by a tornado crossing I-75 . That problem aside, the show is very artist-friendly, the customers are friendly and knowledgable and the other artists are highly talented and also friendly. Did I say this was a 'friendly' show? Sales have been good with only a slight decrease last year due to the beginning of the economic downturn. And, personally, I need all the 'friendly' I can get.....keeps me hanging in there.

Cassandra
  • Connie, Mt. Dora, FL Craft Fair in October. The jury does an excellent job of keeping out any buy/sell. This is an upscale buying crowd, and buy they do. It's the kind of show everyone dreams about, but we rarely see anymore.
  • My favorite shows keep changing, but I love to go to lakefront in Milwaukee and I enjoy Minnesota . it is so nice in the summer up there. Michele
  • One must be careful having favorites.....it's the big picture that really matters......how was your year? The best advice I can give is work on shows you think you can keep and build your mailer....create a collector base and make sure you have a serious mailer that goes out in a personal way to the folks that purchase your work.....never forget that you are important to the people that purchase your work....they feel like they are a part of your ability...and they are......dinner and parking are important, but soft breath and French wine are the best way to end an evening.......js
  • You've got it there, Richard. You hit all the high spots for why even in a tough economy artists continue to participate in art fairs. A small event, giving everyone a good chance to connect with customers, in an affluent community. Then there is the opportunity to spend time with the other artists, building our art fair family. I hope this show continues to meet everyone's expectations.

Richard P Sullivan said:
    My favorite show is like picking one of your children as your favorite, you can do it but you may want to keep it to yourself. But yes I do have a favorite, it is our Boca Grande Art & Wine festival. The show is at the end of the Florida swing and it is small just 55 spaces on Boca Grande, Florida's best kept secret. It is intimate and although there are not thousands of patrons those that come are willing to buy and some artists did really really really well. But the best part was (other than the sales) that it was like a family weekend, all the artists stayed on site sharing rooms, dining together, I made soup for everybody for lunch one day and we ordered pizza the next day, and all day long there were bursts of laughter and all night long there was dancing. At the end of March when all of us are tired, smelly, worn out, forgot how to speak and we are frayed, this weekend was like a trip to a spa. It was fun and it was profitable and isn't that the whole idea anyway, why we do it.
  • My favorite show is like picking one of your children as your favorite, you can do it but you may want to keep it to yourself. But yes I do have a favorite, it is our Boca Grande Art & Wine festival. The show is at the end of the Florida swing and it is small just 55 spaces on Boca Grande, Florida's best kept secret. It is intimate and although there are not thousands of patrons those that come are willing to buy and some artists did really really really well. But the best part was (other than the sales) that it was like a family weekend, all the artists stayed on site sharing rooms, dining together, I made soup for everybody for lunch one day and we ordered pizza the next day, and all day long there were bursts of laughter and all night long there was dancing. At the end of March when all of us are tired, smelly, worn out, forgot how to speak and we are frayed, this weekend was like a trip to a spa. It was fun and it was profitable and isn't that the whole idea anyway, why we do it.
This reply was deleted.