All I can think of for art shows is the St. James Court Art Show in Louisville, KY. We participated in this show for over 20 years and loved the atmosphere and loyal patrons. Here is an article and a video to get a glimpse of what it looks like, from the Louisville Courier: http://www.wdrb.com/story/33281577/hundreds-of-artists-prepare-for-st-james-court-art-show-weekend

I know a bunch of you who follow this site will be there. And hope to hear news from the streets of Louisville next week, good news. 

I'm busy getting things in line before I head to Houston next week for the Zapp sponsored Arts Festival Conference AND attending the Bayou City Art Festival Downtown, the subject of much talk among artists in recent years. Then a few days off to visit Galveston, just for fun.

You? What's up, kids? Greg Little, making progress his week on your restoration?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Connie... We had to cancel 3 shows so far due to flood renovations. Too much work going on. We are doing a one day show this Saturday in Alabama since that is about all i currently have the time or inventory to do... plus I needed to get away from the renovation insanity if just for a couple of days...However we cancelled the Nashville show last weekend and the Bayou City show next weekend. We have about 15 doors being delivered on Wednesday and a bathroom contractor also coming to make us a new bathroom so all must be entirely focused and prioritized on getting back to normal.
    I sure hated to cancel the shows because both Carol and i were very much looking forward to them. One thing on a Very positive note that i want to say is that when I explained my flood damage dilemma to the people at the shows they showed great concern and did refund my entire booth fee. This was great because even though we have flood insurance the claims payment process takes months and we are paying for everything ourselves instead of waiting for the flood insurance check. Flood insurance only pays for the residence so restoring my shop is 100% on me.
    • Thanks for the update. I'm sure it was good for you to get out of town, just for a break. I'm in Houston now because I need to get out of the isolation of working alone, even though I do have the good companionship online. But a real hug totally beats a virtual hug. 

• I'm sorry to hear about your flood problems, Greg. I must have missed if you had posted about it earlier.

• 981291676?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024I was able to use my new display for the first time. Needs a bit more tweaking...but I like it...!301679786?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Thanks Judy...It has been hectic but it is all falling in place for getting back to normal.

• I got some goodies in them mail ... embellishments for things I decorate such as bottles, jars and vases.  I will finish up some that were waiting on the embellies.  I want to work on it some this evening and tomorrow afternoon/evening, and Sunday afternoon/evening.  Part of this is getting them photographed and uploaded to my Etsy shop.

Helping a friend in the morning.  We are finalizing a door prize for a women's conference at our church the following weekend.  All the things are bought, we just need to find a basket for it to go in.

• Catching up on printing, making some new pieces, doing some matting and framing. I'm down to the last two shows of the season unless I decide to apply to a late November show. I'm finding that the photos with verse have the greatest appeal as a 12x16 size. I missed out on several sales at the last two shows when I sold the only ones I had in that size.

• not going to St. James?

• Nope. I gave up on the show several years ago when they closed it early due to heavy rains and bad weather. I do far better at Cherokee Triangle where there is a slower pace, people take their time, and they can return to your booth in a matter of a few minutes if they decide to come back.

Each year I did St. James, or rather the Fourth Street section, sales were progressively lower. The last year was a make or break year, and it broke bad with the horrible weather. I recall selling only a single flip bin piece that last year I was there. It was an interesting run, but for whatever the reasons were, it just wasn't my show. I have some good memories though of the show, including being asked to donate one of my older pieces to the bereavement room at Children's Hospital in Louisville.

I spent some time a week ago after the Madison, IN,  show going over which pieces over the last three years have sold. The stats showed me that about half of my hanging pieces have not moved, so 14 pieces are being retired pronto and replaced with framed work until I build up a new body of work.

I should have about a half dozen new pieces done by this weekend for a little one day show on Monument Circle here in town. I'm going with the old adage that your work is only as strong as your weakest pieces, so the weak ones are getting pulled and replaced with something else. Among other things, I'm doing a lot of B&W work.

This reply was deleted.