A great fall weekend brings out lots of shows in the northern part of the country. On my radar:

I'll be working at the Applefest in my small town in Michigan registering voters and cheering for the home team - Go Blue!

How about you? Greg Little, are things getting back to normal?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I spent Saturday the 17th making a big dinner for my family.  Had my Son, my Daughter-in-law, and two sweet grandsons over age 4 and 8 months.  I braised a Top Round Roast for about 5 hours Friday and made a gravy with that then let it sit in the fridge over night before reheating it.  I also baked a boneless Turkey Roast, Macaroni and Cheese, steamed Green Beans, Lettuce Salad, and a Pumpkin Roll for Dessert.  We had a great time hanging out and relaxing with the kids. 

Today it was down to the studio to grind more stones for my jewelry.  I have a 6 wheel CAB KING grinder from 80 grit to 3000 grit I work on.  I plug in the head phones and listen to books on tape or music while I'm working.  Right now am working on pieces from a large chunk of Blue Chrysocolla that my husband brought back from Peru this year on his trip to Machu Pichu.  It has large areas of bluish green turquoise type veins in it as well.  Really beautiful stuff and will make some lovely cabochons to set in sterling silver this winter.  Have a great week all!

301679768?profile=RESIZE_320x320

• I spent a good bit ofyesterday doing my craft or craft-related events.  I went to the civic center and found some interesting bottles and a covered resin bowl, all with good shapes and lines.  It will make interesting painting and distressing.  I got 3 glass wine bottles ... 2 brown ones each a different shape, and 1 clear bottle that appears to have been an olive oil bottle.  I found a metal vase with interesting shape, it is not just a plain one with smooth sides but with variation in the "elevation" of the sides.

Yesterday after lunch I got to painting some other bottles I had on hand, worked till about 5:00 or a little after.  A friend came over who is getting into this sort of craft and she needed some encouragement and direction.  I work with her giving suggestions but let her do the work, KWIM?

The dh and I met some friends for supper at a local seafood place.  I like getting their boiled shrimp and potatoes.  Yummm.  Tried charbroiled oysters for the first time as an appetizer.

• 301679433?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Flood Renovations for me instead of shows...my entire house and barn workshop. https://www.facebook.com/greg.little.102

• Greg that's CRAZY! So sorry you have had to go through all that.  Floods are some kind of horrible.  You are amazing to be pulling it back together.  Carry on and Happier Trails.

• Just looked at those FB photos. You are doing all the work yourself? Does insurance pay for this destruction? I'm still drying out from my relatively small flooding in July, dehumidifier running 24/7 and amazed at how often I have to empty the bucket. The insurance paid for Serv Pro to come in and dry things out and even paid me $15 an hour for my time! A big deductible, but necessary to get the help. I couldn't have ever have gotten the mildew out.

Is that beadboard or aluminum panels going on the walls? Is that some kind of statement, all the photos of the toilet specifically? That is a wonderful work space you have. I'm sure the envy of many. 

• Carol and I are doing some of the work and paying to have stuff done that we don't want to do. It would be overwhelming  to do all of it ourselves since it is the entire house and workshop.

Our homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage but we fortunately have flood insurance. Nothing has been paid yet through the flood insurance since it is taking a long time to get the claim processed. Over 100,000 houses and businesses were flooded. We are paying for all repairs ourselves until we ger reimbursed.

Those are galvanized corrugated panels in the shop. I have always like the way they look.

• I would imagine there is a large demand on workers, insurance adjusters, building supplies in the wake of this. We were in Miami after a big hurricane and the motel we stayed in every year for the Coconut Grove show was inundated with tradesmen there to help with the cleanup and the neighborhood still a mess over a month later. 

Good for you that you had flood insurance. I understand it is pretty expensive. 

Thought they were galvanized panels -- I like that look also. You and Carol know how to do drywalling and all of that?

• The flood insurance was actually very affordable. We only paid $450 a year. We had it when our house was also flooded during Hurricane katrina back in 05 and would not be with out it. On the news they said over 80% of the people who were flooded did not have flood insurance....dumb move

• 301679256?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024I finished repairing the split rail corral fence that the deer knocked over (rotten posts) and got a gate installed that makes getting from garden to barn  shorter than running up the hill to the vehicle gate. In the studio I did a "triage" on show special orders: belts, holsters, flasks, and some special small cases.

I'm finishing the last quilting on three white trick saddles. Two of the four have been paid for and more $$$$ coming in for the other two. Then I will start to more to get done by December/January. A fellow I trained who now has his own business will start coming in one day a week for training on antique saddle restoration and building trick saddles. He will be my "heir apparent" but he is darn near as old as I am LOL. 

301680039?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Still, that is great to have an apprentice to teach some of these techniques to ... I keep thinking I'm laboring so hard at this computer I need to get someone in here :) to take over. But like you and all the years and tricks you know about leather working and its relationship to saddle making, who else can sit in the chair for hours on end working their fingertips to the bone? 

What kind of machine does that quilting?

This reply was deleted.