The Florida shows start their ascent -- everyone back home from the North by now? 

This weekend:

• Howard Alan brings the art back to Las Olas Blvd. in Ft. Lauderdale

• Lots of artists show up at War Eagle in Arkansas and in Bella Vista too. How many are there? This is THE big weekend in that area with tourists coming in to scope out the goods.

• New Jersey hosts two events: the Morristown Craft Market, one of the very good events in that area and the Rose Squared show in tony Montclair.

• Half Moon Bay?

What about you?

Can you add anything to those, or do you have something interesting going on.

(I'm a big U-Michigan football fan but dropped my long-time allegiance after Notre Dame almost skunked them so my Saturdays are pretty barren this year.)

Let's hear from a bunch of you ... speak up!

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We were originally scheduled to be in the Kentuck festival but had to decline because of the hotel problems associated with the football game. I couldn't justify the 400% hotel rate increases that the few available hotels..

We ended up in Bella Vista, Arkansas. I didn't realize that it was Art Week in the area and a brochure in the hotel listed about a dozen art/craft shows going on at the same time around there. It was a very nice area but it wasn't our market.

We are doing the Pensacola Great Gulf coast Show in a few weeks and then the Cherry Creek Arts in Denver the following week.

• I'll come and meet you at Pensacola, Greg. We're in booth Warhol 4 at the corner of Church and Adams Streets. Great Gulf Coast is a lively show with a killer artist party Friday night. WOOHOO!

• Sounds Great...! Carol and I are in Picasso 29. They sure do put on a nice artist party and treat the artists first class (heck, we all are 1st. class)

Look forward to meeting you Barrie.

• Nels Johnson is there as well on Dali 10. WOOHOO!

• I would love a walk through of what goes on at War Eagle and Bella Vista, Greg, just a little who, what, where, when, how many sort of thing. Which show did you do? the Bella Vista one that advertised here? What does it mean it wasn't your market -- I'm thinking not sophisticated? Was it expensive? Where in the heck is Bella Vista?

• Connie...Bella Vista is about 25 minutes outside of Bentonville...the corporate office of Wallyworld. It seems that Bella Vista, War Eagle and 8 or 10 numerous other festivals are all held the same weekend (actually Bella Vista was held on Thursday thru Saturday).

The show had a lot of inexpensive country crafts and some work that was obviously modified buy sell even though the say it is juried closely. I was told that they want to attract a more upscale group of artists but a lot of what is there now needs to be eliminated.

The booth fees were inexpensive and started at around $130...however the show collects a 10% commission on all sales.

The show is set up with a group of large tents that each contain around 40-50 vendors with spaces that are 8x12 ft. Additionally, individual tent spaces are there that are quite large by most standards...12x24 Ft. The majority of people used rented tents and a few of us brought our own. I have a Trimline and use my displays in addition to mesh panels and numerous hanging brackets that suspend from the Trimline's top poles. I am glad I had my tent cause the rented tents had no poles for hanging support...just ropes.

Most everyone I talked to complained of very poor sales and said they were disappointed.

We fit right in with the disappointed group. I received tons of compliments and had had a lot of people saying they were really impressed and had never seen sculpting/carving like mine before...but they were not buying. 

• I'll be at the Fall Festival on Ponce in Atlanta with my chürp modern birdhomes. Held at an awesome linear park in the middle of the city, it appears it's going to be perfect fall weather. Mid 70s on Saturday and upper 60s on Sunday with abundant sunshine!

• I live near Nashville, about a 3 1/2 hours from Atlanta. The University of Georgia plays Saturday at 4 so it shouldn't impact us too much early in the day.
    • Sounds like a great weekend all across the South and a great place for Atlantans to spend the weekend. Now, is there a football game nearby that will keep people away? College football always impacts the fall shows but that usually means the shoppers are out early on Saturday morning and return in full force on Sunday. Do you live near Atlanta?

• Winter Springs Festival of Arts in Winter Springs, FL. We're due for perfect weather here as well, but I'd rather have that Kentuck mid-70's. Have fun at that show, Jaky. We've been there a few times and occupied the booth next to Richard Jacobus. WOOHOO!

This reply was deleted.