I'm starting my weekend early, heading to Ann Arbor to attend the Ann Arbor Area Convention and Visitors Marketing Year-in-Review. I went last year too. It was so interesting to listen to the CVB people talk about how they recruited people to come to the town for business and leisure. HGTV was there last year. The New York Times ran some articles about "destination cities", etc. 

Then lunch with Mo Riley, director of the Street Art Fair, to get the latest news on the Ann Arbor Art Fairs.

Sunday I'll be back in the area to attend the Holiday Fair sponsored by the Guild of Artists and Artisans in Ypsilanti and then to the Farmers Market in Kerrytown in AA. A stop at the fabulous Zingerman's Deli is on the schedule. 

The biggie on the horizon is Art Denver put on by the Cherry Creek folks. Hope it is a home run for everyone.

What about you? What is happening?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gee, I'm so glad I went to The Rust Belt Market yesterday as planned.  I met and spoke with several of the regular artists there and got some really great feedback about renting a booth, sharing a booth and the overall vibe of the place.  I even talked with someone who is willing to let me share a little bit of her booth over the Holidays so that I can sell my children's line of hats and boots there.  I've easily found shops to carry my adult hats and handbags but was having some difficulty finding just the right fit for the children's stuff, so I'm meeting with her today to show them to her and discuss the specifics and I'm really geeked about it...will let you all know how it goes.

• A perfect topic for a blog post, Tina.

• I'll be at the Holiday Art Fair in Ypsi, too. Booth #50. The weather here is actually not too horrible. It's cold, but no snow on the ground, yet. Gotta get up early to setup at the Convocation Center. Lord, I hate those early morning-of set-ups. 

From what I understand, Connie, the Townie Party will probably be cancelled, but Mo is still trying to get a better idea of what's happening with the Ingalls Mall construction so that they can plan the Original's footprint. It will certainly put some pressure on the show to try and crowd the artists into a smaller space.

• I had lunch with Mo yesterday. The good news is she says she has a good relationship with the university and someone there understands her position. Still it is the almighty university and they'll do what they think they need to do, but they do listen, and we're all flexible. Right?

(The roads looked great yesterday too, didn't stop me from hitting black ice and luckily no one else. I'm a little traumatized, but hate to miss the show.)

• Holiday Art Fair booth 013
  • Hi, Planning to stay close to home and take visiting friends to the Rust Belt Market, here in Ferndale, MI.  If you're not familiar with it, it's kind of like a year-round art fair indoors.  Artists and craftspeople rent booth space on week-ends only and there's a variety of interesting art, food, antiques and kitsch.  It's a great meeting place, a spot to pick up a last minute gift or to just relax at the coffee bar and do a little people watching.  I love that we're only a few blocks away and I'm looking into possibly renting a booth space there myself sometime in the near future.

Enjoy your week-end, everyone!

• Christina .... ^^^=Like!

• We're on our way home to Wyoming. Seems our town is below zero right now, or close to it. We're in Springfield, MO tonight and might be in Lincoln, NE tomorrow night or a little farther along at York. We might spend a second night in whichever of those places we'll be tomorrow since forecast shows a 90 percent chance of snow the following day all across this area. We'll see what the weather report gives us once we get up there. Looks like it will be clear tomorrow, anyway. Springfield is about 20 degrees tonight.

Connie, you better stay home. Sorry to all of you folks doing some show this weekend up there. I hate commitments like that when the weather is dicey. I've made some pretty stupid trips over ice in late October and early November and I hate it. And here we are again in what looks to be a little better situation than we were in last year, though. Last year we met the storm front at the border of Nebraska and Wyoming and people were flipping and spinning off the road. It was a 25 mile per hour white knuckle drive for about 60 miles. It won't be that way this year, but it's damn cold and we don't like to be traveling in sub zero. It's just dangerous, really. And it will be snowing and blowing and slick in spots. 

• Bet you're back out on the road again now, Barrie. Hope you have a very safe day. I'm taking your advice and canceling the Sunday trip.

Barry B. is driving down from the Upper Peninsula to the show in Ypsilanti, hope he can even get across the Mackinac Bridge.

• I'm working on studio stuff inside because it is too darn cold to set up the booth and work on it outside. I will probably do that starting Monday when it is supposed to get back up to 28-40 F all week. I'll be cutting and hauling more firewood tomorrow which Jean and the dogs appreciate. 

This reply was deleted.