Big happenings in Florida this weekend and I long to be there. (-9 degrees this morning here in Michigan).

I always thought the Florida season didn't really start until February but with good reports already in on some of the January shows in the Naples area (as well as some not so good ones), I guess I was wrong. 

• Many of you will be in Fort Myers this weekend for Artfest. Hope it is a good one for all.
  • Many more will be in Mt. Dora for a bigger show (more exhibitors) 
  • and what about HAE's Coconut Point Art Festival?

If you're not too familiar with the Southwest Florida shows here is a good overview of the   from the Naples News-Press with lots of details, from an outsider's point of view (since we're all insiders.) 

Local outdoor festivals take art to the people

What's up with you?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This weekend brought some beautiful weather so I am setting up my new booth display and taking photos. I set up the tent and walls this afternoon and will put up my new display tomorrow and take photos. I plan on leaving it set up until I get a booth shot I an really satisfied with...it that is possible.

• good job, Greg! You are surely getting a lot of help from the members. 

• Yes Connie...I am getting some excellent and invaluable ideas from many members here. Some I can do for this photo session and others, such as painting the red a different color need to be done after the display shelves are taken down and sanded a bit. It is always good to have input as seen by others.

• Another trick saddle order came in - up to 9 now and well into fall 2016. One restoration shipped another unpacked - very rare Texas Hope saddle circa 1865. Big leather shipment came in from tannery301669258?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024 and I have sore muscles from hefting 12 1/2 cows into storage. I'm cutting parts for 4 saddles  and building two. I cut up 10 cows into over 160 belts for summer art shows Friday. Other than than I have some small orders to get out with matching stuff to go in to show inventory. We had a 5 minute guided meditation with whale and ocean sounds at yoga class - I needed that.

301670066?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024301670770?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024301671530?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024301673370?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• This looks like a ton of inventory, Richard, and with all those special orders seems like you won't even have time for shows this year. Please tell me you have an assistant or two ...

I've also recently succumbed to yoga, always thought it was so dull and boring. Like "breathe", now breathe again! What's that all about? But a new good teacher and its beginning to make sense and feels good. Is Jean doing this with you?

• I'm applying to 8 shows this summer but will only do 4 in 2016. Jean and I do two yoga classes, and one wright training class with a personal trainer weekly. I have I e apprentice who comes in Mondays. He is also a high end cabinet maker. We have noticed a big difference in our endurance during set up (6 hours) and take down (3.5) hours. Another heirloom restoration saddle and some 1870 saddle bags are coming in. Stuff goes out and stuff comes in.
  • That's hilarious, Connie. I heard that comment from my Sunfest 2003 neighbor, Herb Weintraub. He kept me in stitches that hot long weekend and I had a great time at that show. He had so many of those customer one liners. Sometime during that same show I sold a piece and told the person I could walk it to their car for them (quite a task at Sunfest), and Herb chimed in, "And he's rotating your tires." I miss seeing Herb. Don't know if he's showing anymore.

I'm just working in the studio this weekend on new frames, or should I say, at least one new frame for a great new painting (she's got too many of these in the wings waiting for me to frame them.) These things take so long to design and create. But that's my shtick. As characters Tessie Tura, Mazeppa, and Electra sang in the musical Gypsy, "You gotta have a gimmick, if you wanna get ahead."

• you so right -- and you've got to keep working too

• Here is a rundown from the Mount Dora Art Festival about what the show organizers are doing to engage the public, following an overheard comment: "We'll never get through the whole show if you keep stopping at the booths."

Good for you, Mt. Dora!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/lake/os-lk-mount-dora-art-festi...

This reply was deleted.