Trying to earn a living in the art fair business? Then quite likely you won't be reading this post because you are on the way, setting up, too nervous to read because you are in Florida for its big art weekend.

On my radar:

The Coconut Grove Arts Festival -- along the bay in the coolest part of Miami. http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Coconut-Grove-Arts-Festival--368307121.html

and right around the corner from the CGAF is the St. Stephens Show, in the parking lot of St. Stephens ... many artists there

Then head north to Jupiter and find lots of our friends at Arti Gras

How about you? Freezing in the north like I am?

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not really anything interesting to post from me because I am still in the barn preparing for the upcoming shows that start in march.

I also set up my tent this weekend because I designed and ordered 9 banners to use as a backdrop inside my tent. Wanted to test them out before using them.They each are 36" x 72" with a gradient background and each has a photo of one of my boxes. I have them fastened with bungee chords to the top and bottom sta bars to keep the rinkles out and steady them from blowing in the wind. It was quite a windy day so unfortunately I didn't get to take any photos....saving that for when i do a complete setup with the displays for a new booth shot.

• Maybe not good for the photos, Greg, but definitely good for learning how to attach them to look good in windy conditions. Probably worth your time for that. True?

• Tried the NJ Flower and Garden Show for the first [and possibly last?] time.  Obviously indoors but it made for long days [10 am-8 pm, everything died around 5-5:30, don't know why they staid open so late!].  I live within 30 minutes so not a big deal and no additional expenses.  HUGE crowds but very tight fisted audience.  I think this may have been the first time they included artists rather than just landscapers, horticulturists and household vendors which might account for the low dollar figures being exchanged.  Most fo the other artists I spoke to also reported minimal sales;  enough to cover expenses but nothing to write home about.

• Connie, Setting it up was definitely worth the time. I always want to be completely prepared and not find any surprises that would most likely happen if I did not spend that extra time making sure things fit as I visualize it working.

• At St Stephens this weekend- 99% of artists we spoke with are having a pretty bad show. . . . Weather is perfect so who knows why?
    • Yep. Doing art fairs and earning money at them is an "art" in itself. But its very nature of the unknown really suits some of our temperaments and keeps us keep on trying.

• Wait-listed at Artigras. At Dunedin Craft Festival. Terrible spot off the main drag. Hope to make expenses. Booked to fill in for Artigras. Hobe last week (1st time for us, don't bother), The Villages Lake Sumter next week.

• Hope you pulled it out, Colleen. We did lots of filler shows in Florida just to be there instead of in Michigan in the winter. It usually worked out decently.

• Well, I'll be staying in because it's just too cold to go anywhere in Michigan this week-end but I'll be busy because I posted a new profile pic on Facebook of a red cloche hat and have already sold that one and have an order for another one just like it!  Imagine what I could do if I had a FB page for my business?  As long as I'm staying in, I may have to work on that too...Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

• Imagine that, Tina! Get going ... a lot cheaper than doing art fairs or spending money on a gallery space ... your work is beautiful and this is the time of year everyone needs it around here.

This reply was deleted.