Good afternoon, everyone!  I am curious what everyone is doing this weekend?  

Do you have a show?  Are you in show prep/production mode?  Reworking equipment, supplies, set up?

We have been working on the cargo trailer.  Well, I can't take any credit for the work, except to look at it and tell John, "Good work!  Looks awesome!"  The whole interior is painting, roof is insulated, shelves up in the front point, d-rings installed for strapping down stuff, the spare tire is in place.  This afternoon he is working on the lights to go down the center of the roof line.  They are LED's so great light and low heat output.  We will start loading the equipment after he gets the lights installed.  Not sure if that'll be tomorrow or Sunday afternoon.

I am going to work in the studio later if the light is good enough.  I have a few pieces of furniture that are "in process".  I want to finish those up to free my mind to work on other things.

If the light is not good, I'll work indoors in my other studio on a little paper work and organizing.  I got a new shelving unit to hold stock and supplies.  I also freed up a shelf on the built in's.  I have mostly open shelving, and a unit that was for a large screen TV with stereo component storage below.  It has glass doors so I can see what's in there.  I want to get it organized.  I am the kind of person whose mentality is ... out of sight, out of mind.  If I can't see it, I don't own it.  LOL

My first event is not till the 2nd weekend of September, Art After Dark, sponsored by the local art guild.  It is from 6:30-9:30 on Sept. 9.  I have quite a bit I can take to that short event.  My work I am doing will be for future events ... Shadows on the Teche (Oct. 7), Cotton Trails A/C Show (Nov. 4-5), Vintage Market Days (Nov. 10-12), and Market at the Mill (Nov. 17-19).  We will definitely be busy in November with almost no turn around time.  Anything I want to take to those shows in November must be completed by the end of October.  So, the rest of August through the end of October will be busy!

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How wonderful to see you all chiming in here. Please excuse my absences. I purchased a new home about 60 miles away in July and am seriously trying to do something about my large art fair packed, darkroom equipped, photography equipment and 30 year residence in order to move closer to family. Haven't even been to an art fair this summer. 

Big garage sale last weekend, kids and grandkids flew from LA to help. Moved some goods but it looks like I'm about 2 more garage sales away from clearing out. Thinking more and more about loading up my pickup and dropping things off at Goodwill. Who needs to own two homes? Why can't I just have a Tecate, or Modelo, or such and set up for an art fair?

My weekends are full of cleaning, painting, hauling, shopping, driving and a little summer fun. My new home will have a very nice little office so I can get back to serious online work and keeping up with friends here.

• Sounds like a lot of work to move and get everything sorted out. Have you tried Craigslist for selling stuff in addition to a garage sale? I have used Craigsliust many times and have always sold everything I have listed. It was always woodworking tools.. Around here the pawn shops have taken over with an outrageous number of postings in the "tools" section and i think many people find it refreshing when someone post an ad that is an indivual instead.

Two homes can be a pain. Carol and I had 2 for about 8 years after the katrina hurricane and i was glad when wwe sold the New Orleans house and got rid of all the extra work and expenses.

• 3 times I have listed something on Craigslist and gotten no attention. Maybe because I don't live in a metropolitan area, or maybe because no one needs a 16' train layout or a formerly $4000 enlarger. I'm also not crazy about having strangers come to my house. I did find a buyer for the train layout from eBay. I know it is a good resource for sales, but it hasn't worked for me. Thanks for the suggestion though. 

I've got art fair equipment that needs that specialized list also, battery operated fans, print bins, tarps, weights, lights and lots of darkroom equipment. 

8 years is a long time to take care of two houses, Greg. Don't know how you did it.

• I guess everyone doesn't have the same results from Craigslist and I have been fortunate.  We are in a rural area. You're right about specialized stuff. I have extra 40lb PVC tent weights I am trying to sell and a localized listing wouldn't reach the right people.

I can always understand why people listing tents and display stuff here is a good place to reach other artists...but on the flip side the shipping can often be a deal killer not only due to cost but because of the difficulty of preparing larger and heavier items for shipping.

Yes, 8 years was a long time to deal with 2 houses. We did go back and forth alot and it was a relief when we sold it. No more double maintenance or taxes and insurance, electric bills, water etc.  Seems like a distant memory now...

• I got a lot accomplished but only finished one item.  :(

I got the table finished that just needed a touch of wax and some buffing.  It has been moved from the production room to inside the house.  Pics are taken and posted on Facebook.

The chair that just needed a little touch of wax and a new upholstered seat ... it got the wax and some distressing.  I got the foam cut and glued to the wood seat.  Also got the upholstery cut.  Wanted to staple it but dh was out of the size staples we need.  Will get them tomorrow on the way home from church.

I have 2 dining chairs that I painted a while back but they are just too boring.  The shade is "Toasted Marshmallows" which is a lot like a medium taupe.  I got a coat of white paint on the spindles.  Tomorrow I'll do another coat of white.  I'll do some more to get it where I want it tomorrow.  I should be able to finish these 2 chairs tomorrow.

If I have time to work on more, I'll get to either a bench or a child's chair.

• I'm finally painting my booth today, a different shade of off white, not so yellowish, more white with a grey cast.

I have a small show in NE Ohio next weekend.

• Painting your booth?  Don't understand.  Do you use wood or some other semi permanent walls?

• Wooden shelves. Lots of them. For pottery.
          • Gotcha.

I am painting this afternoon as well.  However, it is furniture.  I am adding some "character" to a pair of matching chairs that dh said they needed.  He was right.  They were boring the way I had painted them.

Dh has been working on planning for our booth for the coming season, into next year.  He is getting all is ducks in a row for fittings for the pipe and drape, as well as adding some pipe to hang lights. 

• I'll be in my workshop preparing for upcoming shows. We don't have any until mid September but we have 7 ot 8 scheduled after that.. We just got back from a 10 day California trip to visit our son and we have another 7 day trip planned in about a week and a half to go visit family in new London. All this makes shop time a premium...

This reply was deleted.