The big deal in Florida this weekend is Mainsail. Ellen Marshall will be there but her husband Nels Johnson won't -- still recovering from a record breaking show in Ft. Worth last weekend. More about Mainsail: 

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/visualarts/for-artists-getting-in-the-mainsail-art-festival-is-never-a-sure-thing/2225481

A chi-chi show in Ridgeland, MS, hosts some of the business' heavy hitters at the Ridgeland Fine Arts Festival.

Sugarloaf starts their season in Gaithersburg, MD.

This is a thorough article about the Arlington (VA) Festival of the Arts, produced by Howard Alan -- gives good background on the event as well as a look into the HAE business: http://www.arlnow.com/2015/04/15/arlington-festival-of-the-arts-returns-to-clarendon-april-18-19/

Stevens Point, WI - Nice indoor show, well-promoted and attended: http://www.stevenspointjournal.com/story/life/2015/04/15/rd-festival-arts-takes-place-sunday/25794119/

What about you? Any shows on the radar or other events on this thoroughly anticipated beautiful weather weekend here in the North.

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I went to the Melrose Plantation Arts and Crafts Festival in Melrose, LA.  100% chance of rain was forecast for Saturday and 40% for Sunday.  We took the almost 4 hour drive on Friday thinking we might get there only to find out I was cancelled.  (It had been raining several days beforehand so things were not looking good.) We figured if it was cancelled we would make it a mini vacation and do some fun things while there.

IN the long run, it was not cancelled.  However, it did not rain either day during show hours.  It rained Sunday before sun up for about 10 minutes, according to the security guard.

We heard different estimates on how many people called to cancel their booth, all the way up to 30 out of about 100+/- booths.  The attendance was way down in attendees as well.  I think the forecast scared a lot of people off, understandably.  We about broke even on sales/expenses.

In general when we do 2 day shows, Sunday's attendance is about 1/2 of Saturday's.  It is beginning to make me consider whether the extra expenses of a 2nd night in a hotel & the food are worth it.  Right now I am still reaccelerating to home after being gone 3 full days.  (We left Friday morning to set up that afternoon.)  We did not get home till almost 10 PM last night.  Today we are trying to catch up on things around the house, work, etc.  It is good to be home!

• This is such a touch and go life, isn't it Cindy? Dispiriting to say the least. Then whoops a good one comes around (see Nels' post about Fort Worth) and off we go again, that hope in our hearts. 

May the next one be dry and sunny.

• Connie, I know it's a risk we take when we apply to shows and are accepted.  It is a risk every morning when dh and I open the doors to our retail store ... will customers walk through the door today and make a purchase?

I am not as discouraged as I was on Sunday but ...  It does make me wonder if 2 day shows are worth it because the 2nd day is always down in attendance and sales.  Right now I am finding it hard to justify that 2nd night in a hotel room and the extra food.

• I have become a fan of one day shows.  We'll see if that holds true when I do Art on the Square in Williamsburg this coming weekend.  People don't have the option to return the next day so they tend to buy all day long instead of my usual afternoon rush.  

• I agree, Alison. This is one of the reasons to have a simplified booth setup, none of these 4-5 hour setups. We'd look at the weather report and if it was good out would come the Eazy Up. The people would show up and knowing it was their only chance they'd buy or know they had to wait another year for us to show up.

My favorites: Charlevoix Waterfront in northern MI (sort of far for you), Round the Fountain in Lafayette, IN; Kalamazoo Art Fair and I hear great things about the Marion Art Fair in Marion, IA, as one of the very best.

• One day shows would be nice but setting up a Trimline for one day is a lot of work.

It always amazes me that no tent/canopy manufacturer has ever designed a pop-up tent that is the quality of a Trimline being strong and Waterproof. I'm sure most artists would buy one in a heartbeat. I know I sure would. I had a pop-up prior to my Trimline and although it was really convenient I never felt secure during a heavy rain.

• Around here it's a general rule of thumb that you will do half on Sunday of what you did on Saturday. That's the way it is and we just accept it.

Sure, there are times when Sunday is the better day, but that's rare.

• Sorry to hear about all the rain. I've been to Melrose Plantation years ago...not to do a show but to just see it...If I remember correctly it is about halfway between Alexandria and Shreveport.

A lot or rain and threats of rain everywhere this week. it was apparently not the best weekend for shows.

• Right, Greg. I think I saw somewhere that the LeMoyne Chain of Lakes show in Florida was cancelled on Sunday too, but believe the big one in St. Pete, Mainsail, got through without rain. 

Now if it would only rain in the San Joaquin Valley ...

• LeMoyne Chain of Parks. Yes, I got an email that Sunday was a wash out.

This reply was deleted.